Running in Muggy/Humid weather :/

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
I'm miserable.
I have until the end of September to work my mileage back up (goal is 10 miles without stopping). I'm doing my first Tough Mudder at the end of September and it's SO HOT and SO HUMID out here that running outside has become almost too much to bear. I can feel my face and body start to overheat after only 10-15 minutes. I used to run nearly 7 miles at a stretch without a problem, but now I'm struggling with even 3 miles. I hate treadmills and quit my gym membership because between running outside and doing pole dance, I was never going to the gym.

Any recommendations or others with the same struggle as far as running in hot/humid weather? I'm trying to hydrate but...I could really use some tips. I gotta bring my mileage up to par :(

Replies

• rockerrinkie
    rockerrinkie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually freeze a bottle of water to take with me. As it melts I pour it over my head. I probably look ridiculous doing it, but it helps a little.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Water and run slow. I find by dropping your pace it helps a lot. Also don't be worried to take the odd walking break.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try running early in the morning or later at night if your area is safe enough to do so.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I go early, at 5am, when the humidity might still be high but at least the heat isn't too bad. Can you adjust your timing for earlier or later?
  • trinacrick
    trinacrick Posts: 41
    Options
    If you are not going to take it inside then the only way to beat the heat is early morning. If you can't do that, then there are little things that will help, but you may want to dial back the miles for a while.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Drink water, slow down, and run early. The heat will add additional stress and if its cool during your event you will be on your game.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use one of those Frog cooling towels.. It's marginally helpful but I still feel the heat/humidity
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    hydrate and put on lots of deodorant and get out there. I live in Houston (the homeland of 100 degrees and 98% humidity). The only way to deal with it as far as I can tell is to plan a shower afterwards and go do it.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I go early, at 5am, when the humidity might still be high but at least the heat isn't too bad. Can you adjust your timing for earlier or later?

Yes, and actually I was thinking about trying that tomorrow. Thanks!
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    hydrate and put on lots of deodorant and get out there. I live in Houston (the homeland of 100 degrees and 98% humidity). The only way to deal with it as far as I can tell is to plan a shower afterwards and go do it.

Love this! Pretty much the case, like everyone else said the only way I beat it is 5am runs.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Try going earlier. Like really early in the morning, before the sun has a chance to impact everything, lol. It's waaaaaaaaay cooler at 5-6am than at 8am and on. And stay hydrated.
  • Edie05
    Edie05 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone about running earlier. I also find shaded places to run. Such as an older established neighborhood with mature trees. It helps a lot to stay out of the full sun on humid days.
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    FL heat sucks too (Tampa Bay area)....go early and stay hydrated (camelback?)...otherwise running inside is the only other option...treadmill or indoor track...
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Runner's World actually has a good article on this: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/tips-for-running-in-humidity

Lots of info in there. And I just saw another quote that confirmed the "run by feel instead of pace" mantra. Your body is working harder so your pace will suffer. If it doesn't, YOU will suffer. :) Once you are running under better conditions, your pace will naturally improve with the same effort. Hydrate, go slow, listen to your body and enjoy the run! And don't wear cotton!
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice, guys. Gonna try a 5am run tomorrow.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Runner's World actually has a good article on this: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/tips-for-running-in-humidity

Lots of info in there. And I just saw another quote that confirmed the "run by feel instead of pace" mantra. Your body is working harder so your pace will suffer. If it doesn't, YOU will suffer. :) Once you are running under better conditions, your pace will naturally improve with the same effort. Hydrate, go slow, listen to your body and enjoy the run! And don't wear cotton!
    That is some great advice.

I know it sucks and you think by going slower you are not getting as good as a run in, but in training for races/events it is all about getting those miles on your legs. I noticed the longer races, HM and such, when I am done I am not so much winded but the legs tired/sore from the pounding whereas the 5/10K you are just whooped.

Slow down. If you have to walk...walk. OUr town has water fountains in diff areas so I strategically plan my runs around them!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Did you make it out earlier today? Hope it went better!