new and having problems eating 1200 calories a day

Options
I just started a week ago and have lost 5.5 pounds but........
I'm 5ft and weighed 211 lb. I'm set to eat 1200 calories a day but I've only managed that twice. Most days I'm at 1000 to 1100. I don't feel hungry or tired. I'm taking a vitamin. I'm afraid after reading so much about starvation mode. So do I force myself to eat the 1200 or ???? Any advice out there?

Replies

• eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you want to consume more calories eat more calorie dense food. Throw some butter on something, have some avocado, eat peanut butter by the spoon. It's that simple! :)
  • mrzmami88
    mrzmami88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    im afraid of that now too! I logged my food today, and although im not hungry, I didnt eat 1200 calories. I'm going to go for good calories by adding another "snack" during the day, lol, and eat some more veggies with ranch (my fav) or instead of plain yogurt, ill add some special K granola to it. maybe drink some more juice (bc i usally drink water, lemon water (very low cals) or brewed tea (no sugar, just tea)).
  • mrzmami88
    mrzmami88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    but id say get as close to 1200 as you can every day, dont go crazy counting calories.... i hope i dont! and congrats on ur weightloss so far!
  • momma1808
    momma1808 Posts: 1
    Options
    Those are good ideas. I am new too and I am having trouble with getting my 1200 on the mark. Well, I joined a few years ago, and now I am finally trying this. I find myself eating junk to make up the calories, it kind of throws off my whole day of trying. Thanks for the ideas.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    First, starvation mode does not exist in the way that has been advertised by fearmongering diet book and supplement manufacturers. Your metabolism could be impacted negatively if you ate less than 50% of what your body needs for an extended period, but studies show that this will still not stop weight/fat loss. It will only slow it down a bit.

Second, a funny thing happens when you first begin to track calories. You become hyper-aware of both what you're putting in your mouth, and your body's reaction to it. This means that for a short period, it's easy to come in below your calorie goal. It happens to a lot of people. But your appetite will correct itself, and soon, and you'll be tempted to binge because your body will want to make up for the calories it's missing. I mean, you didn't get overweight by eating 1000 calories a day, did you?

One way to avoid the binge that's coming is to make sure you come close to your calorie goal. The goal isn't just an upper limit, it's a goal that you should strive to reach each day. Same with macros, especially if you're exercising to keep muscle...then the protein goal becomes very important.

For now, while you're in the phase where it feels like you can't eat more, add things like olive oil, nuts and real dairy butter to what you're already eating. Meanwhile, have a plan for some really low calorie/high bulk things that you like, because that urge to eat will be coming soon, and you want to be prepared. Salads with lower calorie dressings, non-starchy veggies, lean meats like poultry and seafood...try to have some easy things on hand, because you're going to need them.
  • breakingfitter
    Options
    I am 5'2 and started at 210 lbs too. At first I ate just when I was hungry, making good choices and working out. I was consistently under my calorie goal by 2, or 300. This resulted in massive weight loss. Great! But then it slowed down, probably because the initial loss was mostly water and just making such huge changes to diet. So I tried to eat 1200 calories in order to lose more. Which...as much as this community will try to tell you, is BS. Didn't work. I think breaking it up into smaller meals helps so your metabolism is constantly working. But I recently went back to only eating when I was hungry and making really good choices which results in my eating about 900 net cals a day. I do work out every day and I'm not hungry except at night. I think that's kind of boredom-hunger though so I ignore it.

Just to say that I don't think it's bad if you are not really hungry, you're getting adequate nutrition and eating less than your MFP goal. These are all estimates anyway.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and started at 210 lbs too. At first I ate just when I was hungry, making good choices and working out. I was consistently under my calorie goal by 2, or 300. This resulted in massive weight loss. Great! But then it slowed down, probably because the initial loss was mostly water and just making such huge changes to diet. So I tried to eat 1200 calories in order to lose more. Which...as much as this community will try to tell you, is BS. Didn't work. I think breaking it up into smaller meals helps so your metabolism is constantly working. But I recently went back to only eating when I was hungry and making really good choices which results in my eating about 900 net cals a day. I do work out every day and I'm not hungry except at night. I think that's kind of boredom-hunger though so I ignore it.

Just to say that I don't think it's bad if you are not really hungry, you're getting adequate nutrition and eating less than your MFP goal. These are all estimates anyway.

900 calories per day is inadequate to reach your macro goals, much less get the micronutrients you need. Your goal is not something for you to be "under," it is something for you to reach. I do eat under my goal for a few days in a row in order to have a treat day and eat over, thereby keeping as close as possible to 3500 calories in deficit for the week.

A 900 calorie diet is detrimental to your health. Do you only want to get skinny, or do you also want to get healthy?
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I too have a hard time reaching 1200. I eat so well during the day I have 300 or so left over some nights. I know I should go eat something but its a hard thing to give in to. We are trying to break out of eating while not hungry and here we are supposed to eat something else before bed. I feel like a child who doesnt want to eat my brussel sprouts even tho I know they are good for me. I sure didnt get this way eating 1200 so why the hell is it so hard to eat 1200 now...
  • smitten1320
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back. Nice to know I'm not the only one.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://store.bluediamond.com/Wasabi-Soy-Sauce-Almonds_p_30.html

Link above. You will never be under 1200 again. These things are crack in a can. Grabbed a can for the first time on Saturday... I've now been through 4 cans of them.

Or Avocado or peanut butter works perfectly fine too.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I just started a week ago and have lost 5.5 pounds but........
    I'm 5ft and weighed 211 lb. I'm set to eat 1200 calories a day but I've only managed that twice. Most days I'm at 1000 to 1100. I don't feel hungry or tired. I'm taking a vitamin. I'm afraid after reading so much about starvation mode. So do I force myself to eat the 1200 or ???? Any advice out there?
    You didn't get to 211 pounds eating 1000 calories a day. When people start they can get a bit carried away with going for 'Healthy' and low calorie foods. Just aim for a balanced diet don't restrict food types and you'll likely hit your calories easily. There are no good or bad foods just food.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have a terrible time eating 1000 cals some days. I just don't get hungry most days it's a real problem and no one can tell why i'm like it. I'm 16 stone but i only get hungry once a day, if i try and eat before i'm hungry or snack i end up being sick. Yet i'm still fat!
  • AtmaKing
    AtmaKing Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Can I please have all of their extra calories and give them back to them?

I'm sorry I like eating, and if I didnt have a calorie goal to meet everyday or feel like crap after eating a ton, I'd probably eat 10,000 a day.

Ok serious now. Your TDEE according to the stats you posted is ~1800 a good 500 calorie deficit from that is ~1300 so you should be eating more than 1200 anyways. Need more, try something packed with calories. Nuts and Seeds tend to be a good option for that.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Some days I don't have much of an appetite and I still have 300 calories left (to reach 1200) at the end of the day. When this happens, its after dinner so then I just add more toppings to my "desert". For example, I'll add bananas, chocolate syrup, maybe light whipped topping. I also love popcorn for my desert so then I'll just add more butter or have more popcorn in general. Which even if I'm not hungry, I can still eat ice cream or popcorn. Spoon fulls of peanut butter always work really well too, like previously mentioned!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it, work your weekly average, not daily

Some days you will be down, some days up

No point in stuffing food in if you are not hungry

Worked for me
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Weekly average is a good way to go, but as someone else said: your BMR is at or above 1300 if you're sedentary. The 1200-a-day plan is just crap and not healthy for most humans. *HOWEVER* - a lot of the issue here might simply be attitude! If you were eating more, losing (even if water), and then slowed, well... that's what happens. Losing a ton of weight in a short time isn't healthy either, and there's a reason most people aim for between 1-1.5lbs a week loss if they're heavy. I am for between 0.5-1lb and usually lose more, but I also started exercising more and eating to match.

Try using a BMR calculator, and try calculating your TDEE as well. I have a Fitbit which does this pretty accurately and which has helped immensely with staying on track, so if you can afford it, such a device might help.

What's healthy: eating between BMR and TDEE, on average.
    What's healthy: eating a nutritious snack instead of Cheetos - but they're really just calories unless you have an issue with specific types of food.
    What's healthy: increasing activity and eating to fuel that activity.
    What's NOT healthy: eating too little to "speed up" loss.
    What's NOT healthy: thinking you need to drop 50lbs in a month (exaggerating, but still). This takes time.

If you genuinely have a condition which is precluding you from being "able" to eat more, you need to review this with your doctor.
  • squintyme
    squintyme Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Im the same, but i keep thinking about nourishing my body and what are the best foods I can fit in! I eat a lot of veg which doesnt add to much on the cals but means I am getting lots of vitamins! I look at my nutritional break down so I have enough protein and go from there!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale for solids and measuring cups and spoons for liquids?
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    With all respect, how is that possible? Lol. My breakfast alone is over 900 calories half the time
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can I please have all of their extra calories and give them back to them?

I'm sorry I like eating, and if I didnt have a calorie goal to meet everyday or feel like crap after eating a ton, I'd probably eat 10,000 a day.

Ok serious now. Your TDEE according to the stats you posted is ~1800 a good 500 calorie deficit from that is ~1300 so you should be eating more than 1200 anyways. Need more, try something packed with calories. Nuts and Seeds tend to be a good option for that.

^This!!!!

1200 is MFPs lowest minimum DEFAULT. You got this number because .......

1. Your weekly goal is way too high OR
    2. Because you are a 4'9" senior citizen OR
    3. Because you have medical issues (thyroid, etc)

The vast majority of women can lose weight while eating more.

Why would you want to eat more? Because you need calories to get enough nutrition (not found in a vitamin pill).......protein, fats, and carbs are nutrition also. Without enough healthy fats your body won't absorb the vitamins anyway. Because some day you will not be on a diet......going from 1200.....to something reasonable is hard. Finally, because you want to keep lean muscle and lose mostly fat. Obese people can keep muscle.... but closer to goal = skinny fat.