New to Jogging, and I've got Shin Splints

Options
As I said in the title, I'm really new to jogging. i've been jogging about 10 times now. The first few times were in cheap crappy runners that I had borrowed from someone else and the someone else tends to walk on the inside of their foot, so the shoes were slanted (if that makes sense).

I went to the sports store here, and got sorted out with runners to suit my own feet. All of that is fine, I now have decent running shoes.

My problem is my shins. From day 1 they have been painful, and I assumed it was just because of my weight, and the stress I was putting on my legs. They were always fine afterwards. But yesterday they didn't stop hurting. So I went to my doc, who diagnosed shin splints and gave me some simple stretches to do.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how long I'll have to wait until it's safe to try jogging again, and does anyone have any suggestions to help avoid them in the future, or is that even possible.

Edit: I know the bad shoes to begin with probably caused the shin splints.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Well done for starting to run and getting properly fitted running shoes!

Many beginner runners get shin splints from trying to heel land and roll through the foot - simply lifting your toes with every step strains the muscles that run down the front of the foot. For many people mid-foot landing is more gentle. Simply allow your foot to swing naturally forward until it's under (not in front) of your body and land where feels natural without lifting your toes - like kids running in the park!

Of course another reason beginners suffer is trying to do too much, too soon. Follow a proper programme like C25K, take walk breaks when you need, and do low-impact exercises and stretching on your days off running.

In the meantime, take ibuprofen to keep the swelling down and roll a frozen bottle of water down the sore bits for 15 minutes. You'll be up and running again in no time!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'd say trying too much too soon.

Slow it down and work your way up.

C25K is a great option for working your way up. It's a 9 week program done 3x a week.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Another c25k fan here :) Also, what surface are you running on?
  • laylawaffles
    Options
    Hey all, thank you for the responses.

Doing too much too soon seems like it might be another reason. I became addicted to it very fast, and started doing 30 secs of jogging, then walking, then jogging some more, and after a few days I was up to 60 secs of jogging, then walking etc. I guess my issue is that I was doing it every day.

I have been jogging on tarmac and concrete. I've seen suggestions about jogging on softer grounds like in the grass or the woods etc, so I think I'll start jogging on them when I get back into it.
  • xsamjb81x
    xsamjb81x Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Where can I find info for the c25k program please?
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    There are a few free C25K apps for android/iphone out there. Just download them and try, otherwise you can just google Couch to 5k.
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love the compression calf sleeves (w/ice inserts) for protecting against splints!
    Also, take your time. I tried to return to running 2 weeks ago and used an app I wasn't ready for (Running for Weight Loss)... it was too hard :(
    Starting today, I'm going back to C25K, which is what I used before to successfully become 'a runner'.
    Good luck to you! I think running is the key to me ACTUALLY losing weight and keeping it off.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, you're getting great advice. I saw you posted that you're running daily. Try running every other day to avoid injury. Once you can do that w/o getting shin splints, then maybe you can run more often - but remember that your body NEEDS rest sometimes. :) Congrats on starting your running program!

To the poster that wanted more info on the c25k program: http://www.c25k.com
  • KaBoomKaBoom
    Options
    I get shin splints from time to time, and I've been running for 2 and a half months. When your shins begin to feel sore, you need to rest them and do other exercise whilst they heal, such as cycling or swimming or you can cause more damage than you realise. also, ice them the moment you get home to stop swelling. You can buy some leg supports or bandages to wrap around to stop them getting from so sore. As your legs get stronger, they'll eventually become a rarer occurrence, but even professional runners still get them. Mine have been getting slowly better, and now it takes me a week and a bit until they become sore again, rather than just a day or so. Hang in there, keep going :)
  • laylawaffles
    Options
    Amazing advice and support. I'm not going to give up, I'll just have to use the gym in the meantime while I'm waiting for them to get better.

Fast walking is still ok right? Or is that pushing it a bit?

c25k is something I'm definitely starting once I am able to.
  • Ninkyou
    Options
    Fast walking should be fine. Really, people discount walking so much but it's GREAT exercise. If you start to feel the shins burning, just slow it down.
  • laylawaffles
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks so much everyone.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A word of caution on walking - if you push yourself too hard, you CAN get shin splints just from walking. I walked a 5K once and was hobbling around with shin splints for days after. Slow it down a little and let your shins heal. :) Walking IS great exercise, though. :flowerforyou:
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Well done for starting to run and getting properly fitted running shoes!

Many beginner runners get shin splints from trying to heel land and roll through the foot - simply lifting your toes with every step strains the muscles that run down the front of the foot. For many people mid-foot landing is more gentle. Simply allow your foot to swing naturally forward until it's under (not in front) of your body and land where feels natural without lifting your toes - like kids running in the park!

Of course another reason beginners suffer is trying to do too much, too soon. Follow a proper programme like C25K, take walk breaks when you need, and do low-impact exercises and stretching on your days off running.

In the meantime, take ibuprofen to keep the swelling down and roll a frozen bottle of water down the sore bits for 15 minutes. You'll be up and running again in no time!

This is decent advice OP. Also, ICE ICE ICE those shins when you are done. Properly warm up as well. Start with a walk to warm up the muscles, even dynamic stretches then start your run. Good luck and well done!
  • joshblaine1980
    joshblaine1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. Ice, stretching and get high stability running shoes (these helped a ton). I also did a lot of calf and quad exercises. This reduces the pull on the front of the legs by increasing the strength elsewhere. My wife is an avid and experienced runner... every once in a while she is right ;-).