should I excersises everyday while trying to gain weight?

Options
New to the site!! I'm trying to gain 20 lbs. I'm underweight and I take in the amount if calories I need everyday. I also do squats and lungs 5 or 5 days out the week. Should I be doing this? I'm gaing weight in my butt on down. I'm trying to tone it.

Replies

• Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    New to the site!! I'm trying to gain 20 lbs. I'm underweight and I take in the amount if calories I need everyday. I also do squats and lungs 5 or 5 days out the week. Should I be doing this? I'm gaing weight in my butt on down. I'm trying to tone it.

Not, between 3 and 4 times a week should be enough if you want to gain muscle.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you want to get muscles, do 2 times exercise daily (morning and evening). At the starting days you need to make some extra efforts for gaining weigh.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you want to get muscles, do 2 times exercise daily (morning and evening). At the starting days you need to make some extra efforts for gaining weigh.

no. just a whole lot of no.

Okay- OP.
    Height?
    Weight?
    Age?

What specifically are "the amount of calories I need"?

Meaning- how much are you eating- and do you know what maintenance is for you?

In order to truly gain muscle-there are three ingredients
    1.) eat at a surplus
    2.) you must progressively challenge your body- typically this is a progressive lifting program.
    3.) be patient- this is hard- and time consuming.

You should absolutely NOT be exercising every day- especially if you get on a lifting program. You need rest- muscle builds in your REST time- sleep and off days.

And the more working out you do- the more food you must eat- this is why people bulking typically do not do a lot of cardio- it just means more food they have to eat and at some point- i'ts not fun- it's just work.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Okay- OP.
    Height?
    Weight?
    Age?

1.) eat at a surplus
    2.) you must progressively challenge your body- typically this is a progressive lifting program.

You should absolutely NOT be exercising every day- especially if you get on a lifting program. You need rest- muscle builds in your REST time- sleep and off days.

And the more working out you do- the more food you must eat- this is why people bulking typically do not do a lot of cardio- it just means more food they have to eat and at some point- i'ts not fun- it's just work.

+1

And honestly you'd be surprised how much you really need to eat alongside working out (lifting.)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Focus on weight training. Upper and lower body. Push protein. Minimize cardio... Do SOME cardio for heart health but probalby not more than 3 times per week @ 20 minutes. Focusing on the weight training with solid protein intake will help you gain lean mass more than fat mass (that will look better and is healthier)... Eat at about a 500-700 calorie surplus. Best wishes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

*facepalm*
  • ladydanielle1981
    Options
    Thanks
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish, besides weight gain?
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Okay- OP.
    Height?
    Weight?
    Age?

1.) eat at a surplus

+1

And honestly you'd be surprised how much you really need to eat alongside working out (lifting.)

+2
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

lol-wut-dog.jpg
  • johnny01041980
    Options
    woooo you must be still con fused but i did see one post there with it saying the amount of calories you eating and needing rest this is a big thing you can train 20 to 30 minutes and lift heavy with short if none breaks so if your benching put enough on till you can only do 4 to 6 rep and say then curls to shoulder press the same and back to the bench press same again repeat 4 to 6 times depending how much takes out of you then rest a day and if need two days rest you will get use to it and be able to recover in one day if you eat right and train how i say now ive done this alone an experiment of me own and well it lifted my chest and my shoulders got wider and fuller now it wasnt so much me who noticed as i went up a size in t-shirt and was still tight on the arms shoulders and chest but i thought it was the was that left it tight but i had many a people say you must be working out alot no i wasnt well 3times a week is plenty and even got acused of taking steroids ths was that afective give it a try and do clean reps half reps and lazy reps no good if your lifting less reps but doing better forum you will see better gains try this for two months and you will see big difference i promise that
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i exercise every day, regardless of whether i'm trying to gain weight , lose weight , or maintain. Exercise is good for you, find a program that works towards the goals you want. If you wanna just just gain weight, eat a lot of ice cream and twinkies. If you wanna gain muscle, get on a good lifting program and nourish your body accordingly.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    i exercise every day, regardless of whether i'm trying to gain weight , lose weight , or maintain. Exercise is good for you, find a program that works towards the goals you want. If you wanna just just gain weight, eat a lot of ice cream and twinkies. If you wanna gain muscle, get on a good lifting program and nourish your body accordingly.

so you're last sentence was spot on with one tweak- everything else was suspect- esp the whole exercising every day thing.

if you want to gain muscles, get on a good lifting program, and nourish your body accordingly, this means resting as well as feeding

part of training requires resting.
  • jessicalifts
    jessicalifts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can exercise every day-ish if you are doing a split routine, or including "active rest" (light easy walk with the family, gentle yoga class, etc) on your rest days.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

so you're last sentence was spot on with one tweak- everything else was suspect- esp the whole exercising every day thing.

if you want to gain muscles, get on a good lifting program, and nourish your body accordingly, this means resting as well as feeding

thanks JoRocka!!! yes rest, even for the wicked! hopefully a good lifting program will incorporate rest ,
  • anotherghost
    Options
    Honestly, if you're capable of doing squats and lunges 5 days a week, you're probably not squatting enough. You should be pretty sore afterwards. I do two leg days per week and my friends think I'm nuts.

But, most importantly, you're going to develop a muscle imbalance if you do the same exercise 5 days per week. You don't want that. Doing squats and lunges only will build up your quads and lower back way faster than your hamstrings and abs, and you'll end up with an anterior pelvic tilt, which results in persistent lower back pain. (It can be corrected, but it sucks to squat while your back hurts.) The best thing to do is develop a BALANCED training regimen that trains your body evenly. There are lots of resources out there for doing so.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Meh.
    I practically only squat bench and deadlift. My only accessories are DB fly and good morning.
    I lift three times a week.

I'm never sore. Tired and just achy but not sure. .

Your right about doing a whole body but it's not necessary to do five day splits if you don't want and you certainly don't need to be sore after every lift.
  • CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What I squat at least 8 or 9 days a week. Maybe its right, maybe it aint, who knows its just one of them things you will never be sure of, like how many days are in a week.

Sometimes I like to squat so much I will just rush in to the squat rack and start squatting the person already in there. I dont have time to wait for them to finish, just start squatting them, with their wight and 2 of the biggest dumbbells I can find. Also I have to do this while eating ice cream cause if I dont have the icecream the whole workout is wasted. No gainz can be made with out icecream.

Its good to know that both men and women can be just as dumb and meat-headed lol.

Look you have a scale and this app, use them and do what you like, its that simple. You want to be a world class powerlifter or an ifbb pro then you will have to take it a little more serious. Until then just stay healthy and enjoy what you like doing.
  • JoRocka
    Options

thanks JoRocka!!! yes rest, even for the wicked! hopefully a good lifting program will incorporate rest ,

LOL they should!!! But getting people to not tinker with programming seems to be an insurmountable task sometimes. Girl at my gym insists she can train powerlifting AND bodybuilding at the same time- it was hysterical to watch her try to go heavy squats after a high rep body builders 6 x 20 leg day. She's like 'm still sore -man this is heavy- I was like- really? How are you surprised. Programing seems to be outside of her grasp of reality- much like resting LMAO.

all the rest!!! ALL THE TIME!!!
    Look you have a scale and this app, use them and do what you like, its that simple. You want to be a world class powerlifter or an ifbb pro then you will have to take it a little more serious. Until then just stay healthy and enjoy what you like doing.
    get out of here with that kind of logic- we don't need that around here!!! more hyperbole and excess!!!