camera adds pounds

Options
s_yeatts
s_yeatts Posts: 753
Why is it that when you're looking in the mirror, you're thinking "man I look good!" And then you see yourself in a picture and you look like a flat blob an unattractive?? Does the camera really add on pounds or do you really just look as bad as the picture? Lol

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    The camera adds a fine film of flesh all over your body. HOWEVER, very many mirrors will distort your true size even more than the camera! I do not know why that is.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just figuered its because im looking at pics with my +2.50 readers on, of course there just a mass of blur without them. I think phone cameras are the worse.
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    I just figuered its because im looking at pics with my +2.50 readers on, of course there just a mass of blur without them. I think phone cameras are the worse.

Hahah yes!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Do you ever look at pics of other people and say: Yes this looks exactly like them, so this other pic must be what I look like. =o[ Then go get a quart of Ben & Jerry's and sulk.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Do you ever look at pics of other people and say: Yes this looks exactly like them, so this other pic must be what I look like. =o[ Then go get a quart of Ben & Jerry's and sulk.

OUCH. Way to burst my bubble...
  • s_yeatts
    s_yeatts Posts: 753
    Options
    Haha y'all are so funny!
  • Zekou
    Zekou Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because in the mirror you have mirrored image of yourself and you can't see yourself from different angles ? Maybe our brains want to tell us we are prettier than we really are :D
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    that happened to me this weekend.... had a cute (so I thought) sleeveless top on...arms are alittle tan.... had a family picture taken at dinner....WOW....where did those huge flabby arms come from!!!! LOL I looked like a blob. I'm truly hoping it was just a malfunction with the camera!!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's just because the camera lighting makes you appear 2D and therefore wider, instead of 3D when you (and others) see you!

At least that's what I'm going with!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    funny-friends-tv-show-pictures.jpg?w=652
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Cameras tend to turn my face from "aw cute" into "ew Quasimodo" too.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Cameras tend to turn my face from "aw cute" into "ew Quasimodo" too.

Yeah, I wish I could blame the camera for that. My face is like that all the time.
  • blearyspecs
    blearyspecs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wide-angle lenses can make you look bigger when used at a short distance. Almost all cell phone cameras have wide-angle lenses. So, if you're using a cell phone at a short distance (e.g. in a bathroom) it may not just be your imagination. There's a consensus that the most flattering focal length is 85mm on a full frame equivalent. (iPhone 5s is 30mm equiv., Galaxy S5 is 31mm equiv., shorter is wider).
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    Wide-angle lenses can make you look bigger when used at a short distance. Almost all cell phone cameras have wide-angle lenses. So, if you're using a cell phone at a short distance (e.g. in a bathroom) it may not just be your imagination. There's a consensus that the most flattering focal length is 85mm on a full frame equivalent. (iPhone 5s is 30mm equiv., Galaxy S5 is 31mm equiv., shorter is wider).

I'm not fat,

it's big bones, er, i mean,

it's a wide-angle camera lens.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's just because the camera lighting makes you appear 2D and therefore wider, instead of 3D when you (and others) see you!

At least that's what I'm going with!

Maybe there IS something to that. I have always preferred my image on video to 2D photographs.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    As others have said, wide-angle lens can distort the image (compared with how you see yourself in real life), plus most people don't know how to pose in front of a camera, but when you're in front of a mirror you can check your pose and correct it instantaneously to a more flattering angle.

I find that I sometimes look in the mirror and think, "damn I look good in this swimsuit!" and then I see pictures from the beach that day and I look like a sausage. It's such an awful feeling.