What Country has the best diet in the World?

Options

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

4. Seventh Day Adventists (form of Christianity)

I was raised Seventh Day Adventist and have never heard of any dietary recommendation other than not eating pork. A bit skeptical about that one...

Hmm, maybe it's regional, but my 7th Day childhood friends were veg*n, and their church property grew all sorts of organic vegetables for their congregation. That might have something to do with it? Is there a higher rate of mindful/ethical diets among that faith? Interesting.

Thanks for the info, that could be an important puzzle piece.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Iceland? Really? Chicken Nuggets, Frozen Cheescakes and Sticky Chicken Lasagne?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on moving to "7th Day Adventists" any time soon.

What a hodge podge! Where does the country of "Amish" fit in? What about "Jews for Jesus"?

Yeah, too weird for me.
  • Meerataila
    Options
    The real question is what do Icelandic people eat that gives them the title?

According to: http://www.icelandtoday.is/DiscoverIceland/Facts/Health/More/

Hot house veggies, pasture raised lamb, and a lot of North Atlantic fish. I wonder if their life expectancy will drop as pollution spreads even more through the oceans?
  • DamePiglet
    Options

But don't you know!!!! They're ICELANDIC... therefore, they ONLY eat Iceland food! Don't muddy the water with your LOGIC!
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

It was the fish and the rye bread mainly. There didn't seem to be that many veggies so I was surprised.
    Oh and it's one of the least polluted places.

But the ultimate conclusion of the programme was that all the good diets contained mainly pure and unprocessed foods.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Hot house veggies, pasture raised lamb, and a lot of North Atlantic fish. I wonder if their life expectancy will drop as pollution spreads even more through the oceans?

Probably. Life expectancy just keeps plummeting in the US! Someone needs to stop the insanity!!
  • refuseresist
    Options

It was the fish and the rye bread mainly. There didn't seem to be that many veggies so I was surprised.

But the ultimate conclusion of the programme was that all the good diets contained mainly pure and unprocessed foods.

Doesn't look like it http://www.iceland.co.uk/summer/
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I read an article recently about how kids in France don't snack. It's just not a part of their culture...they eat meals and that's it! I think that's amazing and honestly wish I was raised without snacks all the time, maybe I'd snack less now ;)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

That's why mum's gone to Iceland!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    From the look of that running order, it looks like fish has a big part to play in the making of a good diet.

I don't quite get the Seventh Day Adventists' entry though - surely they come from all over the place?! Do they just have a very prescriptive diet regime no matter where they live?

I remember watching this program about the Seventh Day Adventists, one lady in her 80s very fit, was asked why she was still going so strong. Her reply she does not eat any that moves.

This is not to say that they are all the same, but when it comes to healthy eating, there surely deserves their ranking.
  • refuseresist
    Options

That's why mum's gone to Iceland!

Thank you!
    Now I may rest.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I'm thinking some of this is getting lost in translation...
  • Siannah
    Options
    Oh hang on, nearly forgot, that guy from Lazytown is icelandic and he's 50. He looked amazing!

Seriously he was SO FIT.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Oh hang on, nearly forgot, that guy from Lazytown is icelandic and he's 50. He looked amazing!

Seriously he was SO FIT.

Sportacus?

Damn his flexible ways.
  • Siannah
    Options

:laugh: Don't think Iceland has Iceland though
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Seventh Day Adventists still seems a really weird entry to me - not because they have an unhealthy diet but because it is a list of where healthy diets are and Seventh Day Adventists are not a place.

I doubt all Seventh Day Adventists have unhealthy diet, in fact that is not true.
  • Meerataila
    Options

Probably. Life expectancy just keeps plummeting in the US! Someone needs to stop the insanity!!

I sense sarcasm. Life expectancy may very well be less for the next generation than the current one, according to researchers studying the impact of our diet on our children. And we certainly should be rivaling the top countries and not remain content with less.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmsr043743

Forecasts of life expectancy are an important component of public policy that influence age-based entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare. Although the Social Security Administration recently raised its estimates of how long Americans are going to live in the 21st century, current trends in obesity in the United States suggest that these estimates may not be accurate. From our analysis of the effect of obesity on longevity, we conclude that the steady rise in life expectancy during the past two centuries may soon come to an end.
  • refuseresist
    Options

But don't you know!!!! They're ICELANDIC... therefore, they ONLY eat Iceland food! Don't muddy the water with your LOGIC!

You make a good point.

It's like saying British people only eat Kendal Mint Cake, Bath Buns, Yorkshire Puddings and Dundee Cake.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

I sense sarcasm. Life expectancy may very well be less for the next generation than the current one, according to researchers studying the impact of our diet on our children. And we certainly should be rivaling the top countries and not remain content with less.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmsr043743

Forecasts of life expectancy are an important component of public policy that influence age-based entitlement programs such as Social Security and Medicare. Although the Social Security Administration recently raised its estimates of how long Americans are going to live in the 21st century, current trends in obesity in the United States suggest that these estimates may not be accurate. From our analysis of the effect of obesity on longevity, we conclude that the steady rise in life expectancy during the past two centuries may soon come to an end.

What does any of that have to do with pollution spreading through the ocean? No sarcasm. Not seeing any connection... even remotely.