Obesity, Guilt and Shame

Options
Hello I'm Lindsay. I've been an MFP'er for several years, balooning up to my all time high of 346 pounds 3 years ago, steadily decreasing to 268 pounds and now back up to 288. I'm 35 and have suffered with depression for the majority of my life, and now find the guilt and shame associated with my weight to be more severe than it ever has been in my life. I suffer from a variety of illnesses: Hidradenitis Suppurativa with is a condition where large boils and cysts chronically pop up in the most uncomfortable and unpleasant areas (groin, inner thighs, under breasts, in between buttocks and under my arms - the ones under my arms have scarred so severely that it's extremely painful to raise my arms over my head). I have severe pancolitis - which I have to take a variety of awful medications for. I have osteoarthritis in all of my joints with my knees and hips being the worst off. I have chronic pain in the muscles of my body and severe plantar fasciitis in my left foot to such an extent that I can no longer walk without hobbling and excruciating pain.

I've been to therapy in the past, been medicated for my depression, although I am no longer on meds because I turned into a zombie. What I am confounded by is the fact that most of my conditions are caused by being fat. Because of this, I can't escape the feeling that I ruined my life because of my obsession with food. Yet, I just keep eating which just further feeds the guilt.

Now, before you go all holier-than-thou on me and tell me to just eat less and move more, I'm looking for more personal experiences about how some of you have dealt with the shame, guilt and consequences of living for decades as morbidly obese. I have been trying to get my eating under control and for the most part I'm eating cleanly - but I still have issues with binging cause by shame. I'm ill equipped to deal with this problem and break the cycle of self-hatred.

If anyone has any advice or encouraging words I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Sorry dear, but all i have to offer is a post i shared earlier this month (below). I had/have medical issues, some related to being overweight, and i was and am ashamed of my weight. I can relate on some level to you. I'm currently 47.

Feel free to read my story...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1305329-excuses-excuses
  • al142
    al142 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I read the book "Healing the Shame that Binds You,"on the advice of a therapist. I think it did a very good job at describing how shame shapes our lives in negative ways. It didn't do such a good job of explaining what to do about it, but understanding the problem goes a long way.

As long as you are mired in shame, eating properly is going to be extra difficult. I'd put some work into therapy. Also, read up on self-compassion. It is important to be kind to yourself, and forgiving to yourself. This is something that is very hard for me, but I am working on it. It sounds like it is hard for you too.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    First order of business is to get to the root of your problems. There isn't any shame in seeking counseling. You have to become your biggest cheerleader because this journey is about you and you are the only one that can make it happen. Life will always throw lemons but you have to learn to make sweet lemonade from those sour lemons. Your health is worth fighting for and saving.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yoga has saved my life several times.
    Here is a video of Belly breathing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtAqiVJn9BA
    Yoga techniques help with mind / body awareness. --(help with the struggle to over eat).
    Also, as you become more aware of your body, you feel kinder toward yourself.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, but I hope you find your peace. You deserve it as much as anyone, if not more.

I will suggest swimming. It is hard to think about anything when you're swimming. And it melts fat like nothing else can. Good for the body and the mind. The endorphins improve the mood, too. Not pushing it! Just, if you ever feel like trying! :)
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of advice. What I will say is that I don't think we were meant to live a life full of guilt and shame. I think that until you unpack what is causing you to feel so badly about yourself, you probably won't be able to tackle the eating issues. At some point you have to love yourself and stop believing and listening to all of the lies that you have told yourself. I'm not sure what is causing you to not reach towards those goals, but I think it starts with believing that you deserve a good life. Best of luck!!! I hope you feel inspired to make the future better!!
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm Lindsay. I've been an MFP'er for several years, balooning up to my all time high of 346 pounds 3 years ago, steadily decreasing to 268 pounds and now back up to 288. I'm 35 and have suffered with depression for the majority of my life, and now find the guilt and shame associated with my weight to be more severe than it ever has been in my life. I suffer from a variety of illnesses: Hidradenitis Suppurativa with is a condition where large boils and cysts chronically pop up in the most uncomfortable and unpleasant areas (groin, inner thighs, under breasts, in between buttocks and under my arms - the ones under my arms have scarred so severely that it's extremely painful to raise my arms over my head). I have severe pancolitis - which I have to take a variety of awful medications for. I have osteoarthritis in all of my joints with my knees and hips being the worst off. I have chronic pain in the muscles of my body and severe plantar fasciitis in my left foot to such an extent that I can no longer walk without hobbling and excruciating pain.

I've been to therapy in the past, been medicated for my depression, although I am no longer on meds because I turned into a zombie. What I am confounded by is the fact that most of my conditions are caused by being fat. Because of this, I can't escape the feeling that I ruined my life because of my obsession with food. Yet, I just keep eating which just further feeds the guilt.

Now, before you go all holier-than-thou on me and tell me to just eat less and move more, I'm looking for more personal experiences about how some of you have dealt with the shame, guilt and consequences of living for decades as morbidly obese. I have been trying to get my eating under control and for the most part I'm eating cleanly - but I still have issues with binging cause by shame. I'm ill equipped to deal with this problem and break the cycle of self-hatred.

If anyone has any advice or encouraging words I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

I went from an all time high of 275 to a low of 179.2 and now I'm back at 224. I could look at the fact that I gained 40 lb's over the course of the last year and feel defeated after making such progress, or I could look at the positive fact that I am not giving up and that I have the knowledge to do it again. In your case it's an incredible achievement to have lost 78 lb's especially when you consider that only around 5% of people who are overweight ever manage to make such an improvement and maintain it for longer than six months. Sure you've gained 20 lb's but that is nothing compared to what you have lossed and what you will loose. Be thankful that you face a difficult struggle ahead because it means that you are doing something incredible. People who have never had to think about their weight in many ways are in a disadvantage to you because you have been forced to learn a skill that they never have. Discipline and self control. These skills will enrich your life in ways far beyond simple weight loss.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    First off, I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're not doing well right now. I know how it is when the lows seem to happen more often than the highs. This is a brief version (I know it doesn't seem that way lol) of my story and maybe I can provide some kind of words of inspiration for you towards the end of it.

My parents fought a lot when I was little and my mom would scoop me away, take me away from it and out to eat or to buy toys etc. Food became comfort at a very very early age. Oldest of 8, I have 4 very GORGEOUS younger sisters. I always felt like the ugly sister. I compared myself to others to the point where I became introverted because I just didn't want to see beautiful people. It was easy since I was home schooled in a strong christian household, I only came out for things I was forced to go to (church, youth group, karate class etc), and because of the weight gain and awkwardness I was bullied *intensely* everywhere. I was 9 years old the first time I started cutting/burning myself. I didn't know what depression was, I just knew I felt horrible and disgusting to the point where at times I felt physical pain. I spent a lot of time on the computer by myself, ended up getting carpal tunnel and was having wrist and arm pain so bad my parents took me to the dr. They did x-rays, and I still remember the dr saying I had the bones of a 60 year old and then dropped the "L word" to my mom. LIPOSUCTION. I was 14 and she was suggesting LIPOSUCTION!? My mom was furious, and I was humiliated. But no actions were taken involving my diet. I continued sneaking and eating junk late at night. My parents forced me to take up more karate classes thinking maybe I could out-run my bad eating habits. Instead I was tortured by my classmates (i was the only girl), which made me more depressed, which made me eat even more....I loved martial arts but I eventually dropped out of class, out of church, out of youth, out of EVERYTHING around the age of 17. And it just went downhill from there. At 18 I ruptured a disc in my lower back, at 19 I had surgery to ease the pain and prevent further damage but already suffered from permanent nerve damage.

I won't even go into my 20's. Between 19 and now it was just a decade of severe physical pain, binge drinking, binge eating, depression...I'm 29 now and I've been using myfitnesspal off and on for six years. SIX YEARS. That would've been more than enough time to drop the 260-ish lbs I need to lose... I dropped and gained the same 10 lbs for the first 5 years I used this website. And it's mostly because I have depression. Horrible depression, horrible physical issues, horrible binge eating tendencies. I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis in both feet for about five years. My weight makes the back problem worse, just walking makes everything hurt. My joints creak and my limbs ache for no apparent reason.

A year and a half ago my dad came out as gay. He told mom, then they waited a month to work on their marriage privately (they're still married), then told us kids, then told the rest of the family and the rest of their friends. I've no issue with the sexual preference, what got to me was the affair in general and the result of it. It was the eye opener for me. I'd never in my life seen them so depressed. I'd never seen either of them so stressed, for the first in my life they looked old. They both took up smoking and started drinking more often. They'd always had a generally healthy lifestyle and I started seriously fearing for their health and their lives, which I guess changed my state of mind enough that I started fearing for my own health too.

Now for better/happier stuff..

I got back on this site yet again after all that, this time "for real" and told myself no matter what kind of day I was having, what kind of month I was having, I needed to just do it. Started tracking my calories more diligently. Yes I've had binges, LOTS of binges. I've had problems with bingeing and purging, I've had moments where I thought the only thing that would help was a pill or a drink. But i've learned to take it one day at a time. I don't beat myself up for going over my macros anymore, I finally FINALLY don't give up because I've had one bad day or one bad month...

A year and a half ago I was 410 lbs, today I am 340. Yes my back and bones and feet still ache. I still have close to 200 lbs to lose but I will never see 400 on that scale, ever again. I still deal with depression on a daily basis, but in the last year and a half I've also realized I want to live. There's a lot of things I want to do that I just can't do at my weight. There are opportunities I've missed because I lacked confidence due to my self-image problems. I don't want to die without experiencing life at my fullest potential. It's that thought that drives me everyday. I'm still pretty far from loving myself, but I'm trying to mold myself into someone I can love. Not just physically either. I want to love my quirks, my flaws and everything about me that still makes me ME whether I'm 400 lbs or 150.

Here are just a few things that help me out personally..

1. For my back: I try to stretch (but not over stretch!) as often as I can or when I feel like I need to. Especially in the morning, even before getting out of bed. I'm also working on my posture, trying not to hunch like I have my entire life. I also try to hold my stomach in because it helps strengthen your core and back.

2. For my plantar fasciitis: After losing some of the weight it isn't AS bad, but I still have to stretch my arches first thing in the morning before walking. I also freeze water bottles and roll them under my feet to ease inflammation. If it feels particularly bad at the end of the day before bed I wear a boot to keep my foot stretched overnight. Wearing proper foot wear has also helped, I had to stop wearing flip flops all the time because I needed arch support.

3. For my depression: This is the tough one. I don't currently have insurance, and I've been on everything from cymbalta to wellbutrin in the past. Right now I'm not on any anti-depressants. I just take one day at a time. When I start to feel sad it's usually because I have too much time on my hands...The mind is a pesky thing when it's not busy >_< I'll read, write poetry and short stories or memoirs, read the forums on here because I always love looking at people's success stories!

4. For cardio: Everyone is different. What i've found works for me is using the elliptical. It's personally easier on my joints, and I use a HRM to track everything. Typically i'll listen to music, watch some stuff on netflix or hulu on my phone etc. I also walk when I can't access the gym, but that's a little more strenuous on my back most the time.

5. FOOD: Right now i'm averaging between 1800 and 2300 cals a day. There are days when I eat more and days when I eat less. The best advice I can give is to weigh and measure everything you can, log it as often as you can and be true to your logs. Don't get upset or depressed when you see you've gone over. You're human and it will happen. Tomorrow is a new day! What has really helped me out is looking at my calories as a weekly thing instead of a daily thing and try to hit the numbers for the week. I was a horrible late night binger, what has helped me so far is eating dinner a little bit later in the evening, or making sure I have enough calories saved for a late late night meal or big snack. I've learned what my triggers are, what time of the day I usually want to eat the most food, learned my favorite foods and what portions I can safely eat them in so I don't feel deprived.

6. Progress: I've learned to set small goals. Aim for 5 lbs at a time instead of 200. Try to work out 5 minutes longer one week than I did the week before. Baby steps have helped me get farther than I ever thought I would've two years ago.. :)

I hope this helps. Sorry it's so long, I have a problem with keeping things short lol... Also typed pretty fast so if there's any errors, run-on sentences or things that just don't make sense sorry again! If you have any questions feel free to ask! I'm an open book and a work in progress like everyone else on here.
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hi Lindsay,

I totally understand what you're going through. When I was 3 I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease and as a result of some of the medication I was put on for long term, I gained a lot of weight steadily from age 7 to 13. At 13 I was in 8th grade, taunted by my peers for 3 years in a row and I had had enough of feeling bad about myself. I remember breaking down in front of my mom begging her to let me get liposuction just to end the suffering. I spent most of my childhood miserable because of this. And I felt the same depression and shame and guilt. I came home from school in tears almost every day and when I didn't it was because I faked being sick to avoid going to my personal hell. I didn't understand why it happened. I looked at pictures of myself when I was a small underweight child suffering from Crohn's and even wished that it would come back so that I could be skinny again not caring if it threatened my life (It eventually did when I turned 17, unfortunately). Honestly, I had had enough of being miserable and being mistreated for something I knew I had the power to change. Every day after school, 13 year old me walked to the gym and worked out for an hour. I developed the drive because I knew that this was something I really wanted to change. I did NOT want tos pend my whole life like this and I knew that if I worked hard I could start changing my future then and there. I lost 50 pounds that year. I am now older and I can honestly say it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I gave my body the respect it deserved and I as feel happy with who I am (the most important thing) with how I look. Lindsay, if you're a good person you are more than halfway there. Your external appearance may have some catching up to do, but it is nothing that is not achievable. Sometimes it might feel impossible, but it's never impossible. Some days will be harder than others with your illnesses, but think about how great it would be if you could get your weight under control to the point that some of those diseases go away! I hope this helps.
    Rita
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Hello Lindsay. As a fellow Hiderodenitis Suppuritiva sufferer I can certainly empathize with your position. It's what made me lose the weight. All I can say is that if you do manage to lose the weight then that disease will probably drop off the map. It's been about 3 months now since my last boil. And though the inside of my thighs is very heavily scarred I am no longer in any pain. I don't mean to show off but I thought it might help you to see that there's someone else with this disease and that losing weight absolutely positively made it better.

I also know what that shame is all about. Oh us heavy people try and tell ourselves that we are our own people. But you can't be bombarded by the crap society spews your way without feeling at least a little self conscious about the whole deal and often it goes a lot further.

For me Diet and exercise was the magic pill. It cleared up both my HS and my Depression. I don't know if I just feel more confident or of the exercise itself actually has a therapeutic effect as I have come to believe. But either way I worked my way out of a similar funk to what you are in now. And lady I would wish it on no one else in this world. Just do what you can each day. Eat healthy foods but don't stress over treating yourself to sweets or junk food every now and then. You will hopefully find that over time you miss the unhealthy stuff less and less as I did. Once you are comfortable with hour+ walks. Consider joining a gym. And get weight lifting. Cardio is very good but to be honest weight lifting will help your overall health a lot more. You will improve your muscles and honestly it was this kind of work that made me realize that every single time i couldn't get off the floor without doing my beached turtle dance i was telling myself inside "you fat little ****". Now whenever I have to do the same i spring up and feel strong. It's the little things that really add up. I don't really know how much your current conditions impair you. But they sound totally brutal. Honestly I am glad I was not in your position when I came to my senses. Just having creaky knees was bad enough.

I guess it might be an idea to focus on weight loss first. Sometimes joint pain really is all about just supporting that extra weight. I also think you need to make being able to walk your first priority. I know it might seem like the least of your worries. But for me taking up walks was the single best thing I ever did. I certainly get that foot pain is a nightmare. I have some rather severe bunions. But luckily for me they usually don't start complaining till after about 2 hours of constant walking.

I really wish you the best. If you like add me if you would like the support of someone who understands what HS and what struggling to lose large amounts of weight is actually like.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I admire how brave you are to share this openly with us. I feel such pain when I read your post.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies! It's wonderful to have such a great community. I had a talk with my husband last night who suffers from alot of the same eating issues but none of the health issues. We recommitted to giving it another try, supporting each other and taking it day by day. I did some research last night about nutritionists and therapy in my city and will seek that out more later in the week. I knew I couldn't be the only one who felt this way and its great to see how other meet and overcome their challenges.
  • jovo2013
    jovo2013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Anthony Robbins audio "The Path to Permanent Weight Loss." I recommend it because it delves into the guilt and shame, and other emotions, that hold us hostage. For me, weight loss is more than eating less calories, it's about the psychology, behaviors, thoughts, and emotions associated with food. Emotions are such an integral part of why I overeat, and listening to this program helped me understand that more and gave me practical tools to cope more appropriately.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for all of your suffering. I know you've been on anti-depressants so you must have had a psychiatrist at some point, if not still. But have you had talk therapy with a psychologist or therapist who specializes in eating disorders? That is the one thing that has helped me the most. I had compulsive binge eating disorder long before I knew there was a word for it. I've been working with her for over two years now and I'm finally to the point that I don't eat my emotions all the time. I've been off anti-depressants since last summer and honestly I feel better mentally and emotionally than I have in years. My weight loss is a consequence of all the hard work I've put into making my head function better, not the other way around.

Best wishes to you...

:smile:
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi Lindsay! I'm sorry to hear that you have so many health issues. That can't be easy. I do understand about the guilt & shame. I got to the point that I couldn't stand to look at myself in the mirror anymore, and I would change clothes behind closed doors so that my husband wouldn't see me because I was so embarrassed about how I looked. I knew that I needed to eat less and move more, and even though I wanted to, I didn't. I finally realized that I was just hurting myself and I was the only one that could fix it. I had to start loving myself and putting myself first. I'm still new at this, and it's not always easy. Of course I'm still tempted, usually on a daily basis, to eat things I shouldn't. But I really do take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. I try to plan ahead and always log everything I eat and drink. After the first week I had already started losing and that gave the desire to keep going. Each time another pound comes off I'm proud of myself. I have also realized that if I do have a bad day and choose to eat something really fattening, that it's ok and try not to beat myself up about it. I just try to do better the next time. It also really helps to check in here daily. My MFP friends really keep me motivated by encouraging words and also seeing their progress makes me want to continue to do better. I wish you all the best, and I would be glad to be a part of your cheering squad. Please feel free to add me! :smile:
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I have heard it said that shame really has nothing to do with what we actually did (or what was done to us), but rather, it comes from the lies we started telling ourselves when we tried to make sense of what we did (or was done).

For example, "I started emotional eating as a coping mechanism," could be a true statement, along with, "XYZ situation caused stress," and "I needed more emotional support than was available to me."

The lies would be something like, "I deserved XYZ situation to happen to me because I'm inferior," or, "I don't deserve emotional support," or, "I should not have needed a coping strategy," or, "I suck because I'm not a superhero."

If you can identify the lies you tell yourself about yourself that bring out the shame, then you can figure out accurate statements to replace them. And here's the hard part: you have to affirm the true, self-accepting statements over and over and over. And over and over. Really, it takes a while for the truth to sink in if the lies have been playing in your head a long time. Your post was really moving, and it took courage to share in a way that obviously touched a lot of people. It is possible to defuse shame. Best wishes to you for doing so.

ETA: And please feel free to add me, too!
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi Lindsay! I felt very ashamed of myself when I was over 200 lbs and what snapped me to attention and made me start seriously trying to lose weight was the thought of being too fat and out of shape to play with my son. He was about 6 months old, and loved for me to strap him in the Ergo and dance, but after moving around for 3.5 minutes (1 song), I had to sit to catch my breath.

I'd been chubby most of my life, except for my first year in law school when I was only about 140 lbs (and still felt really fat, but I was a dumb kid) and never really active, but my husband is not a sit-around-and-do-nothing kind of guy, so it is good to have that cooperative motivation.

I am also much more forgiving of myself when I do slip up now - it going to happen, and it is actually liberating to say "I ate half a container of Ben and Jerry's" and just move on. So the fart what? That was one day, one slip, not the end of the world. Of course, I needed therapy to come around to this way of thinking - not only as far as my weight loss efforts but in coming to terms with not being perfect in other areas, too.

I am also focusing on celebrating my successes rather than punishing my failures. It is not an easy mental change to make, but you can do it and I think it makes a huge difference.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    I am sorry you are going threw this. Its a terrible place to be in your head and in your life. I would make sure you have a good therapist to help you work threw some of your issues. That said I have Multiple sclerosis. I have severe pain, have been blind, have not been able to walk and so much more. I have had it 22 years. There is water aerobics and diets are calories and calories out. From my experience I would say you are eating for comfort not nourishment. I would try making some smaller changes and work from there. You need to eat the way you plan on eating for the rest of your life. I often tell people not to enter their information with a goal but find out what it takes to be your goal weight calorie wise and eat that way every day. You will not loose weight as fast but you will be eating in a way that you can sustain your loss. every little bit helps and there is no I screwed up the day so I might as well binge and start tomorrow because every calorie counts. If you have a set back just let it go and move past it because they happen and don't beat yourself up about it. It can be done. Its hard. You can do it I have maintained my loss for over 10 years. Good luck to you. You can do this!