Are you fit? How long and how often do you run (or walk)?

Options
I'm a casual runner who has decided to up her game but I'm not really sure how long or how often fit people run. I go once or twice a week for an hour but sometimes I walk and sometimes I don't. Just wondering what people who are good at this do.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    What do you classify as fit? Running 1 mile or running 20? Sorry I'm not trying to be annoying but it's very hard to compare yourself to others we all have different goals. Yes I run 45-50 miles a week and some weeks I'll do that distance over 4 days and others over 7 days that along with an hour or two dog walking a day, but that doesn't mean I'm fitter than someone who runs 20 miles and does some other things as well such as weights? or people who can run shorter distances than me a lot faster

Decide what your goals are. Then have look online at some training plans at what other people have done to achieve that. It's very difficult to compare yourself to others. Do you want to run 5k? 10k? 20? There are some great training plans out there such as the Hal Higdon ones or the C25K or C210K ones. Have a look and decide what fits in with your goals and your present ability.

Good Luck
  • BillFisha
    BillFisha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's no perfect number. Having said that I recommend 3 times a week with walks, hikes, elliptical workouts on the other 3 days and one rest day. Also you should diversify those runs one should be a LSD or Long Slow Distance, second should be a slow easy Zone 2 heart rate run, finally the third should be a speed work run like fartleks.

Example:
    Sun - LSD Run
    Mon - Walk
    Tue - Zone 2 Run
    Wed - Elliptical
    Thur - Speed Work Run
    Fri - Hike
    Sat - Rest

But like I said there is no perfect number and I know several people that run every day and love it. Do what every fits you best.

As for distance you should folow the 10% rule. Always increase your weekly distace no more than 10%. So if you run 3 miles 3 times a week you can increase your distance by no more than .9 miles the next week. Then you can add another 10% the next week. every month or so you should reduce your distance by about 30% as a step down week to recover some then go back to where you are and continue to increase at the 10% weekly intervals.

I hope this helped
    Bill
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Fit in this context means fit for purpose. So if you have a goal to run a certain distance by a certain date, or can run a target distance but want to go faster you need a training plan.

What result do you want from running?
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not fit...but I run about 15 miles a week. I run about 5 days a week, give or take
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    At the minute I'm at a comfortable 9 min per mile pace for up to 5 mile with no walk breaks (unless absolutely nessassary) and I run 4/5 times a week. I wouldn't consider myself a very fit person though.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I run 4 times a week and usually 3-4 miles(can take me anywhere from 35-45 minutes), and then I try to strength train also. Am I fit? I don't know. I've gained weight, even though I try to eat healthy and exercise. I do feel better physically, and i have lost a couple inches, and i feel firmer in areas....but am I fit? like every one said, we're all different.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't run. Many days, I walk. I skip it a lot more in the summer - it's just so hot/humid. I don't count how far, but would guess about 2 - 2.5 miles. Unless I'm too sick, I'm in a pool for a little bit every day, sometime a lot.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    They train an appropriate amount to meet or exceed realistic goals while minimizing the risk of injury.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I run 80 miles a week.

Run 2x a day. Generally about 1 hour and 45 min a day
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    But how fast???
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm far from fit but I currently do 3 miles of fartlek training four days on and one day off. I just started doing this and I feel great. Lots of sweat too.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I run 80 miles a week.

Run 2x a day. Generally about 1 hour and 45 min a day

serious runner this is ^^
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    ok, runners....do you find that running, after a long time, stalls your metabolism? from what I've read, your body gets used to the same workout after a while, and you should switch things up. I do do strength training, but often, the only thing I have time for is a 3mile run!

80miles a week is hard core! that is a serious runner right there!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm a long distance speed walker. My minimum is typically 8 miles at a time, around 11 miles max, at a pace of about 13-14 minutes per mile. I'm on no kind of schedule but it's easy for me to log in over 40 miles a week.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm not majorly fit, but working on it. I'm training for two half marathons (about 8 weeks apart) later in the year. I run every second day, I just find that works best for me to avoid injury which works out to 3-4 times a week. Last month I ran 105km (65.6 miles), this month it will be a little more than that (I follow the 10% rule).

Good luck in working out what your goals are and keep enjoying your running!
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    ok, runners....do you find that running, after a long time, stalls your metabolism? from what I've read, your body gets used to the same workout after a while, and you should switch things up. I do do strength training, but often, the only thing I have time for is a 3mile run!

80miles a week is hard core! that is a serious runner right there!

In short, no I don't find running "stalls my metabolism." I've lost about 30 pounds from running (combined with improving my diet).

In response to the OP - I run about 25-30 miles per week and I'm currently working on slowly increasing that to a goal of about 40 mpw. I currently run 4-6 days per week (usually 5), plus 2 days of weights. good luck with your goals!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I go with all the rest that say fitness is relative. I think its easier to measure time spent which seems to me to be a better measure of lifestyle. I'm coming back after injury but when I was going full pelt I was running 4-5 hrs per week, biking 3 and swimming 3 + 2 resistance sessions.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Also if you want to get "fit" I would recommend a website called training peaks which shows you how to optimise fitness. For these guys fitness is something dynamic (in increases and decreases dependent on training stress). They suggest ways of hitting peak performance on a certain day so you can perform well in race or whatever. The principles are important though. Training is not risk free, the idea is to train as hard as you can without injury so they work on a cyclic basis intended to push the body as far as it can go and then rest it before it breaks :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty dang fit and don't run at all...unless someone is chasing me. Fitness is a relative thing....I can go cycle 50 miles without batting an eye but can't run a lick....my wife runs marathons but pretty much hits the wall on her bike at a mere 15 miles or so simply because she doesn't ride often.

If you want to be a runner I'd suggest signing up for some races and training for them...you will inevitably up your fitness level if you are actually training, particularly if you're training to do more than just finish. Throw in some resistance work and a cross training session on a bike or in the pool and you're golden.

As a matter of maintaining my fitness level I ride around 60 - 80 miles per week, do a full body lifting routine 3x weekly, and generally swim once per week for about 1/2 mile to cross train. I walk my dog 3 miles at least 5 days per week but I try to get out with her every day because it's good for both of us. Things change substantially when during cyclocross season and when I'm training for an endurance ride.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I keep myself "fit enough" to run 12 miles at a 10 min/mile pace. If I try, I can run 10k at an 8 min/mile pace. I work out 6 days/wk, but only run once/wk, mostly 5 or 6 miles of hills (uphill climb of 750 ft.) I don't recommend this training plan to anyone who isn't well seasoned, because without proper workouts and stretches, you can be very prone to injury.