Intermittent fasting

Options
Has any tried a diet involving intermittent fasting, and more importantly had any success with it?

I've been doing no carb for a while, came off awhile ago and managed to gain a ridiculous amount of weight back, so now I'm back on no carbs (Y)
But I'm really lazy and can never be bothered to cook in the evening. So thinking that a big breakfast and lunch is perfect for me, providing it's a viable method.

EDIT: The type I'm looking at doing is to have all my kcal between 9am and 3pm

Replies

• JoeCampbell85
    Options
    There are some positive effects of IF if it's done correctly, however, it's, basically, another hype weight loss method based on limited information. I tried it for a little and not having to eat all day was nice, but eating the right amount of healthy food at night was a challenge and I would generally just throw unhealthy food in there. At the end of the month it really didn't improve my body composition or fitness level. Some people have had great success with it but the vast majority of people who have had success in weight loss - that is taking it off and keeping it off - have followed a tradition calorie deficit, 40 protein, 40 carb, 20 fat (or some variation of that). Why not just do this?
  • ChrisM_1992
    ChrisM_1992 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've tried a general diet in the past but found it difficult, I find the no carb a lot easier as it lets me eat a lot of the food I like and only really have to give up pasta and sweets.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    OP, diets that cut out all of one thing (no carb/no fat) are not going. Yes they work temporarily because of the calorie deficit. But wants to end your diet and you resume eating whatever was off limits (in your case, carbs) then you body stores it not knowing when it's going to have that type of fuel again. Most people gain back even more weight than they lost when their diet is over.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If I count calories carefully and eat healthy I enjoy the 5:2 version. It makes me feel peppier and happier throughout the week for some reason and helps control appetite. But if I don't count calories or if I use it as an excuse to eat junk food, all I do is gain weight.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Has any tried a diet involving intermittent fasting, and more importantly had any success with it?

I've been doing no carb for a while, came off awhile ago and managed to gain a ridiculous amount of weight back, so now I'm back on no carbs (Y)
    But I'm really lazy and can never be bothered to cook in the evening. So thinking that a big breakfast and lunch is perfect for me, providing it's a viable method.

I am getting close to 40 lost since mid march fasting 3 days a week (4:3). There are many other benefits other than weight loss.

You seem to be considering a varied version of fasting by eating 6 hours a day. It will work, but you still have to stay at a deficit and watch your calories or it wont work at all.

The point of fasting plans is you go a cycle of 24+ hours of 500 calories, and 24 hour cycle of eating at your maintenance. Some fast every other day, some 2-3 days a wek. What you are proposing really is just counting and eating at a def each day and no diff really than any other diet if you someone who is doing a traditional fasting program.

There are 16:8 and what you are wanting to do, 18:6 versions of which to me just seem like skipping one meal and making sure you eat at a def each day.

I eat 500 one 24 hour cycle, 2300-2600 the next cycle. That is a big selling point to fasting as you really only have to limit yourself big time on the fasting cycles...the other cycles you eat to mainain which for me is better than having to eat 1500 each day.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting with an 18/6 schedule. I fast for 18 hours and then have a 6 hour eating window everyday. I don't skip days because that leads me to binge. I start my window at 12pm (when my lunch break at work begins) and then I end it at 6pm because I am usually stuffed by then. I tend to crave sweets at night, and this has helped with those cravings!

Also, eat your carbs. There is no reason to cut out carbs whatsoever. You can eat carbs and still lose weight, by creating a reasonable calorie deficit. You already said you gained that weight back, what makes you think it won't happen again this time around? You need carbs for fuel.

I think you're eating window sounds perfect.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Unless you have some kind of a medical condition where your doctor has told you to eat low carb, then there is no reason to limit them. It wasn't the carbs that made you gain weight, it was eating more calories than you burned.

Intermittent fasting is not meant to be for losing weight, it is meant to be as a tool for working out in a fasted state, or perhaps because some people don't like to eat during certain hours. When done properly, it's very beneficial.

I would suggest just finding your calorie goal, cutting back by 10% or so, and eating all the foods you love. Food type restriction, such as no carbs (and, by the way, you were most likely eating low carb because no carb is nearly impossible) is not sustainable in the long run. Finding a food plan that includes your food with a reasonable calorie restriction is how people make that smooth sail into maintenance.
  • ChrisM_1992
    Options
    I'm relatively certain that my weight gain has been more to do with the excessive take aways and sudden stop in exercise over the introduction to carbs since stopping with my diet. Even with the gain I'm still 2 stone below what I was so can't complain. And since the main cause of my original weight gain was fizzy drink, sweets and massive bowls of pasta, carbs was a big part of it ^^
    Another benefit I found from doing low carbs was it really helped with my ache. Was rather amusing to see my face go almost completely clear, then the morning after a cheat day I'd get a horrible surprise.

And yes, by no carbs I meant low carbs(20g a day), just used to say no carbs out of habit
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Its great for cutting weight but its a temporary thing, ask yourself with any "diet": Can I see myself doing this in 30 years? If the answer is no, then you need to realize that its temporary and what you really need is a sustainable way of eating/living for the rest of your life. Intermittent Fasting is a tool to be used by those who already have a handle on a sustainable way of eating for life.....I use it for a week or two max if I want to cut some quick weight but I am still eating a healthy diet the majority of calories I eat even when I am doing the Intermittent fasting.......I actually did a one day Intermittent fast yesterday to clean myself out after eating and drinking too much over the weekend....I may do it a few days this week as needed but in the end I realize this is a commitment for life, not just the diet of the month.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively certain that my weight gain has been more to do with the excessive take aways and sudden stop in exercise over the introduction to carbs since stopping with my diet. Even with the gain I'm still 2 stone below what I was so can't complain. And since the main cause of my original weight gain was fizzy drink, sweets and massive bowls of pasta, carbs was a big part of it ^^
    Another benefit I found from doing low carbs was it really helped with my ache. Was rather amusing to see my face go almost completely clear, then the morning after a cheat day I'd get a horrible surprise.

And yes, by no carbs I meant low carbs(20g a day), just used to say no carbs out of habit
    There is nothing at wrong with doing low carb if that's what works for you, but it's the overall food consumption that made you gain weight not the carbs themselves. Weight gain is from too much of any food where you end up eating more calories than you burn.

That said, it's wonderful low carb helped with your aches. I have a friend who does low carb because it alleviates her migraines.
  • ChrisM_1992
    Options
    It's helped a bit with my migraines as well, although for me one of the big causes was cheese so still have to watch that.

I am aware that low carb isnt long term, but for now I just want to lower my weight, once I'm there and I keep off all the surgery junk food I'm hoping that just eating "normally" will be enough to keep myself from re gaining. The fizzy drinks are long gone now, even on cheat days dont touch them, so getting there ^^
  • fox2star
    fox2star Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 16:8 method for about 3 weeks now, lost 4 pounds the first week, now nothing. It is easier to maintain a calorie count for the day with this method. I do want to lose more, but was also trying to realize the benefits that are outlined here as well.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/06/28/intermittent-fasting-health-benefits.aspx
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Its great for cutting weight but its a temporary thing, ask yourself with any "diet": Can I see myself doing this in 30 years? If the answer is no, then you need to realize that its temporary and what you really need is a sustainable way of eating/living for the rest of your life. Intermittent Fasting is a tool to be used by those who already have a handle on a sustainable way of eating for life.....I use it for a week or two max if I want to cut some quick weight but I am still eating a healthy diet the majority of calories I eat even when I am doing the Intermittent fasting.......I actually did a one day Intermittent fast yesterday to clean myself out after eating and drinking too much over the weekend....I may do it a few days this week as needed but in the end I realize this is a commitment for life, not just the diet of the month.

Agree! Realistic, attainable and sustainable.
    My opinion... fasting is great after a day or weekend of bad choices (overeating), I used to fast every Monday and honestly can't say that I noticed any difference in my weight. I was good to flush out the toxins, salt, water or whatever but that was about it. All it really resulted in was me being a ***** and wanting to eat everything in sight at night. What has worked for me is consistency, planning and eating small meals as well as small snacks throughout the day. That a long with exercise and as much movement as you can get. Again, this is what has worked for me and it's something I can do for the rest of my life.

Although if you look at my diary you'll see that the last couple of days I've been holding a negative net.. Not a long term solution but a quick way to drop some lb's and/or ounces in a week. Then back to maintenance.

For some people fasting makes them feel better and if that works that's cool. But remember... it might work for a while and you'll eventually have to change things up once your body gets used to your process.
  • dlw8888
    dlw8888 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I've been doing it for about three years now, with a couple of breaks for holidays and alike. I switch days if I know I'm going out for dinner. I do a fast with 500 cals for dinner every other day, and then eat normally for the rest of the time (3 or 4 days of the week when I'm not fasting). When I'm maintaining I still fast every other day but I eat however many cals I want for dinner. It's really not that hard to stick to after the first couple of weeks. I've never had any stomach complaints (apart from bellyache after eating too much!) but a friend of mine does the 5:2 version and it's almost completely eliminated her IBS which was quite bad previously.

TBH, it's whatever works for you. I find Intermittent Fasting an easy way to lose weight because I find it hard to control myself - if I have a little thing to eat in the morning, I often end up eating 2000 cals whether I want to or not! Basically, IF is an easy way to limit calories, but as long as you are in a calorie deficit it doesn't really matter how you eat or when! As for the other health benefits it claims to promote (like cutting risk of cancer, cutting Asthma issues) you can take them or leave them - I just use it for weight loss.

This website is great for debunking weight control myths if you're wondering about meal timing, eating "clean" etc: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Have been doing Intermittent Fasting (LeanGains protocol) since Aug 2013
    I feel like I have had success with it.

And I have enjoyed it.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

Have been doing Intermittent Fasting (LeanGains protocol) since Aug 2013
    I feel like I have had success with it.

And I have enjoyed it.
    did you find it hard to transition from a "regular" eating schedule to IF?
    any difficulties with hunger over the course of practicing IF?
    also what is your time window for eating?
    thinking of slowly moving towards IF for the fall but im not sure yet
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Took about 7 - 10 days to get used to it. Takes time to get ghrelin under control...and for your body to adjust/relearn a new eating pattern.

The first 7 - 10 days were a little tough...so I would do a few almonds. But in time it worked out. Sometimes I do get "hungry" in the morning....usually if things were hectic the day before and I didn't get my calories in....or I mistimed my food, and hit my goals like an hour or two before my window closed. :laugh:
    So drink a lot of water

My eating window is 12 - 8, but usually works out more like 1245 or 1pm - 8pm

Worth trying....so give it a shot.
    I have been able to get my appetite under control, and have not been this lean in years.
    And I enjoy working out in the fasted state.
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Took about 7 - 10 days to get used to it. Takes time to get ghrelin under control...and for your body to adjust/relearn a new eating pattern.

The first 7 - 10 days were a little tough...so I would do a few almonds. But in time it worked out. Sometimes I do get "hungry" in the morning....usually if things were hectic the day before and I didn't get my calories in....or I mistimed my food, and hit my goals like an hour or two before my window closed. :laugh:
    So drink a lot of water

I have been able to get my appetite under control, and have not been this lean in years.

^^THIS^^ IF does not have to be a "diet" it is very easily a style of feeding your body that can be done for the rest of your life. People that think it is a fad are usually the people that have either never tried it, taken the word of someone that did it wrong, or just never did the research on their own. With IF you still need to hit your macros and the tried and true method of losing weight still exists calories in vs. calories out.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

So drink a lot of water

awesome, thanks
    one last question regarding IF; if say you have a night were you know you'll be drinking, how do you alter your eating schedule in terms of timing, or do you?