Pork Tenderloin

Options
Azchange
Azchange Posts: 110 Member
So a staple in our pantry is pork tenderloin. The problem with pork tenderloin is that the only thing I know how to do with is rub some rosemary on it and let it cook. A man can live on packaged food from now until judgment day with enough rosemary. Regardless, I am hoping someone has new idea's on what I can do to make something new with it. I've generally use pork roast for shredding, pork chops for stir fry (and well, pork chops), I am not a very creative person apparently. The "coolest" thing i've found on my search this far is how to make it "stuffed" which I will probably do, and then rub more rosemary on it.

Any fresh ideas? I am compiling quite a list of recipes in general that I can share if anyone cares.

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Always a hit at our house.. Sounds fussy but worth the time.. Hope you enjoy.. I have also baked this instead of grilling

Ingredients Edit and Save

Original recipe makes 8 servingsChange Servings
    2 (1 pound) pork tenderloins, trimmed

Spice Rub:
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Glaze:
    1 1/2 cups apricot preserves
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1 teaspoon grated ginger
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    1 lime, juiced
    Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions

Place chili powder, garlic powder, sugar, salt and pepper in a jar; shake to blend. Rub spice mixture onto pork tenderloins. Cover tenderloins and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
    Prior to grilling, melt apricot preserves in saucepan over medium heat. Remove pan from the heat and stir in remaining glaze ingredients. Place half of the glaze in a serving bowl and hold for service.
    Prepare grill at medium-high heat. Grill pork tenderloins for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) on an instant-read thermometer.
    When approximately 4 minutes of cook time remains, brush the pork tenderloins with the apricot glaze remaining in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, turn the pork tenderloins and brush glaze on other side. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove pork from the grill and let set for about 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved glaze.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just made one yesterday in the crock pot. Threw the loin in the crock, added 1/2 cup water and sprinkled a dry package of zesty italian dressing on it. Cooked on low for 8 hours and it was delicious.

I make a loin in the crock about every two weeks. Most of the time I buy the pre-made marinades in the BBQ sauce aisle and pour over the top and cook on low for 8 hours. There is a variety of these marinades, so you can get something different each time. One of our favorites was a chipotle lime marinade, but it was too spicy for the kids. The dry dressing packets are great, too. I like the Fiesta Ranch packets.

Leftovers: shredded BBQ, shred for burritos, shred for chimichangas (no fry method, fill flour tortilla, fold, spray the tops with butter flavor Pam, bake in oven at 500 degrees for 5-7 minutes), stir fry, add to salad for protein, or freeze for when you don't want to cook.
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    We often make pulled pork with tenderloin, although it does not need to be made with this cut. It is super easy: we throw it in a slow cooker with a cup of root beer, a bit of olive oil, throw in some spices - whatever you like. We use salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, cayenne. I add some tabasco and red wine. There are many variations of this recipe which can be found on line, but basically cook on high for 7 hours or low for 4 to 5, or a combination of low and high until the pork can be easily shredded. Drain, shred, add your favorite bbq sauce to suit your taste, and enjoy with a bun and coleslaw.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Try brining. It will make it super moist and flavorful.

Also, if you're in the mood for something completely different, Posole is a delicious thing to do with pork. It's basically cut up pork, hominy and pablano peppers in stock. You can make it even tastier by doing things like roasting the peppers, smoking or brining the pork, and adding onions, garlic, a little celery, tomatoes, and some cilantro, thyme or oregano.
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of pork at home and these are some of the favorites:

Pork with apples, onions, and balsamic vinegar.

Pork tenderloin stuffed with sauteed spinach, onions, and feta, roasted with mustard oregano glaze

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/10/slow-cooker-pork-and-green-chile-stew.html - This is good but I like it spicy so I replace the green chilis with a can of jalapenos in addition to the fresh jalapeno.

Rub with paprika, cocoa powder, chili powder salt and pepper.

Roasted with stuffing of almonds, chopped dried apricots, parsley, salt and pepper. (I've only done this with chops, but it should work with loin.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Cut it into medallions. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and sesame seed. Pan sear in butter or olive oil.

Make a pan sauce with wine and chicken broth. Add a little mustard if you want.

Maybe 15 minutes start to finish.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    We usually marinate our pork tenderloin - in a variety of different marinades, some store bought and some homemade. I usually grill it in the summer time. Since most of the packages of tenderloin have two in them - I either make one flavor one night, and save the second tenderloin for later in the week with different flavors - or sometimes I will just marinate one tenderloin and put it in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for another time - that way it is already marinated when it thaws.

Caribbean Jerk Marinade - slice it and serve with mango salsa and black beans/rice.

Sesame Ginger Marinade - serve with rice and asian vegetables

Olive oil/balsamic vinegar/rosemary/garlic - serve with roasted potatoes and asparagus

I made this one the other night and had it with corn on the cob.

http://weelicious.com/2012/07/11/southern-style-pork-tenderloin/
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Always a hit at our house.. Sounds fussy but worth the time.. Hope you enjoy.. I have also baked this instead of grilling

Ingredients Edit and Save

Original recipe makes 8 servingsChange Servings
    2 (1 pound) pork tenderloins, trimmed

Spice Rub:
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Glaze:
    1 1/2 cups apricot preserves
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1 teaspoon grated ginger
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    1 lime, juiced
    Check All Add to Shopping List
    Directions

Place chili powder, garlic powder, sugar, salt and pepper in a jar; shake to blend. Rub spice mixture onto pork tenderloins. Cover tenderloins and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
    Prior to grilling, melt apricot preserves in saucepan over medium heat. Remove pan from the heat and stir in remaining glaze ingredients. Place half of the glaze in a serving bowl and hold for service.
    Prepare grill at medium-high heat. Grill pork tenderloins for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the pork reaches 145 degrees F (63 degrees C) on an instant-read thermometer.
    When approximately 4 minutes of cook time remains, brush the pork tenderloins with the apricot glaze remaining in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, turn the pork tenderloins and brush glaze on other side. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove pork from the grill and let set for about 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with reserved glaze.

This one sounds really good - thanks for sharing!
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, thanks for the ideas! I just remembered when I saw the link for the green chile stew type thing, and I've tried that as well, but its been a while. Perhaps that will work. I also have never really "glazed" or brined things so I will look for some tips on those!

Thanks!
    Andrew
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I marinate it then cook on the grill using a "Mojo" marinade I buy at the grocery store.

http://www.badiaspices.com/marinades-sauces/mojo/

from their web site it's a Carribbean / Latin American thing....Mojo pork is AWESOME and now I'm hungry DAMMIT!

LOL
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thyme Smothered Pork

Ingredients
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth, divided
    2 tablespoons fat-free milk
    2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    8 (2-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 1/4 inch thick)
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    Cooking spray
    1 cup coarsely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

Preparation
    Combine 1/4 cup broth, milk, flour, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Set aside.
    Sprinkle one side of each pork chop with paprika and thyme. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add half of the pork to pan; sauté 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until pork is done and lightly browned. Remove pork from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining pork. Reduce heat to medium. Add chopped onion; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly golden. Add remaining 3/4 cup broth; bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes. Add milk mixture, stirring with a whisk. Add pork, turning to coat; cook 1 minute. Sprinkle with minced parsley.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
    Calories: 145
    Calories from fat: 34%
    Fat: 5.5g
    Saturated fat: 1.9g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
    Protein: 17.2g
    Carbohydrate: 5.8g
    Fiber: 0.8g
    Cholesterol: 44mg
    Iron: 0.7mg
    Sodium: 475mg