Sore Heal Problem

Options
Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
I seem to be having problem with my right heal. I get pain in my right heal and up the side when I put pressure on it. I bought a new pair of shoes thinking that maybe the issue even though they didn't look warn out. It isn't bad if I am just light walking normal with my shoes on. The problem happens when I try to work out doing lunges, jogging or anything that puts pressure on my foot. It has been happening for a few days now. Can anyone tell me what this is and how to get ride of it?

Replies

• SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I had something similar last year mostly when I ran, it got bad at one stage that it was more comfortable to walk with my heel raised (like Barbie), the guy who ran the bootcamp I went to suggested it was from running too fast downhill (so pounding my feet) and it was effectively a mild inflammation of the the tendons/ligaments there. I rested for a week or so from running and was fine.

That is really just my 'tuppence worth' as I don't know if it feels the same as mine, my pain felt like a bruise oppose to a strain or sprain.
  • Caper88
    Options
    Could be that. It isn't a consistent pain. It just happens when too much pressure gets pushed onto the heal. It is only on the one foot. I started jogging with c25k. I'm not running down hill or fast but maybe just doing something I am not use to. Did you take a rest from everything or just the running? Meaning should I just avoid jogging or all cardio? I don't jog everyday but I do walk everyday. So should I avoid my walks too?
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It could be plantar faciaitis. You can try taking a tennis ball (or other hard ball about that size) and standing and rolling around on it all through your arch. It will hurt, but a couple of days doing that and my pain went away.
  • Caper88
    Options
    Thanks guys. I didn't think to mention that I also work at a nursing home so the floors are on the hard side. I will try the tennis ball.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I still walked but didn't run, I still did what I could at bootcamp in the way of bodyweight exercises.

From what I understood of Plantar Fasciitis it is really painful, I'm not about to say you don't have it, but, I was definitely under the impression even walking would be unbearable.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Is the pain like a screw being driven up the inside of your heel or like a burning sensation? I was having what I think is similar pain to what you are referencing and it is not PF. It is similar to carpal tunnel, but in your foot. It is called Baxter Nerve Entrapment or Tarsel Tunnel Syndrome:

Symptoms of Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome:
    •Pain or tingling in the foot and toes
    •Numbness
    •Swelling, burning or redness in the heel
    •“Electric shock” sensations in the leg
    •Foot pain while driving or walking

I actually didn't have all the symptoms, but a cortisone shot in the right place did the trick for me. I can still feel it now and again but it is pretty much a non issue now. http://www.anklefootmd.com/baxter-nerve-entrapment-and-tarsal-tunnel-syndrome/ There just one of may links to the info on it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about your HEEL? Or are you talking about a wound that's still giving you grief? I'm confused...

Uh, nvm, I get it. You're talking about the heel of your foot. Carry on, OP, my bad.
  • Caper88
    Options
    Umm light walking actually isn't that bad specially if I have my shoes on. Often with light walking I don't feel it. It isn't a consent pain. I can feel it when I put any heavy pressure on the back of my heal or if I flex the foot far enough. For example I did my walk today and I was fine. A few hrs later I tried to do the lower body fix workout and I had a problem with back lunges, jogging in the spot, split squats. Does that makes sense?

I will take your advice Sarah and just do walking this week.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to the bottom of your heel? Does if feel like you bruised the bottom of your foot? That's most likely plantar fasciitis. If you're referring to upper portion going up towards your ankle that could be achilles tendonitis. In either case ice your foot for 15 minutes after you work out and perhaps take it easy for a week or two.

As others mentioned there are exercises and stretches that can help you out. Often this can be caused by a tight calf muscle. Do a little more research on this and you'll see tons of helpful advice.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Hmmm Using MFP like WebMD...maybe you should go see an actual doctor?
  • Caper88
    Options
    Sorry I am on my phone and just realize that it has been auto correcting to heal instead of HEEL.

It is mostly in the bottom of the heel; so bottom of the foot part. The pain starts at the bottom of the heel when I put pressure on it and then comes up the sides.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It could be plantar faciaitis. You can try taking a tennis ball (or other hard ball about that size) and standing and rolling around on it all through your arch. It will hurt, but a couple of days doing that and my pain went away.
    PF is typically worse when you first get out of bed, and then gets progressively better throughout the day. If your pain doesn't do that it might not be PF.

When I had PF I would freeze a small water bottle and roll my foot back and forth across it while I watched tV. The cold really gave some relief.
  • Caper88
    Options
    Hmmm Using MFP like WebMD...maybe you should go see an actual doctor?

Hmmm today is a holiday....dr offices are closed on holidays......but do you think he will open up specially for me? I can't see him today or obviously I would of stopped in. I only asked to see if anyone else experienced this issue and what they did to help ease the pain or strength the muscle until I can see my own dr.
  • Caper88
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions :)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    PF is typically worse when you first get out of bed, and then gets progressively better throughout the day. If your pain doesn't do that it might not be PF.

When I had PF I would freeze a small water bottle and roll my foot back and forth across it while I watched tV. The cold really gave some relief.

This! And I found that a lot of my problem actually was coming from my tight hamstrings. Stretching the hamstrings and calves helped while being careful not to overstretch the Achille's tendon.