How far, how long, how often?

Options
hila_13
hila_13 Posts: 43 Member
Good morning! My basic question is: how far / how long / how often should I be running, walking, jogging?

I'm an active person (woman, 29) who runs occaisionally but mostly just stays active (softball, cycling to work, walking regularly, drop-in gym classes,etc.) and am now trying to set more goals and keep more of a workout schedule - as I decide to get 'fitter.' (I can wear a bathing suit but want to rock it).

How far, how long and how often do 'fit' people run/walk/jog? I don't need to become a marathoner but I do want to feel awesome and look good :) Some ballpark numbers might help me set some initial goals. Thanks!

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I a 52yo, 5'4", 185lb female (I started MFP @ 232lbs). I walk 2.5-4miles/day about 5-6 times/week. Don't run due to knee issues. I wouldn't class myself as "elite" when it comes to fitness status, but I know I'm in a helluva lot better shape than I was!
  • hila_13
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • hila_13
    Options
    Any casual runners out there? How far and how often to you go?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 25 miles a week at the moment.

Sunday - 10 miles
    Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 5 miles
    Wed - 5 miles.
    Friday - 5 miles.

I'm hoping to get this back up to around 40 miles a week within a couple months. Some people do 60 miles a week. It all depends on what your goals are.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i guess i have been a casual runner this spring... i started cycling for cross training, and forgot i was a runner for a while there :blushing:
    anyhow, i got back to 5-6km four times a week, and now signed up for a half marathon training plan on runkeeper (the only way to get me back to a running "regime". still four runs a week, one of them longer than the others...
    now the challenge will be to keep up with my cycling :tongue:

Karin
  • brn14me
    brn14me Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started running in January - I walked and rode my bike prior but couldn't handle running to start. I trained for my first 5k on May 10 and got up to the 3.1 distance in my runs shortly before. Since then I was doing 3.1 3-4 times a week. Now I feel I have to move forward to prevent from going backwards so I'm working towards a 10k. In the past 3 weeks I jumped from 3.1 to 4.1 then a week of 4.5 and last week to 5.0 twice followed by 3.1. This week I have decided to stick with 5.0 as it's pretty taxing but will probably go up to 5.5 next week and see where it goes from there.

So basically 3-4 times a week depending on how I feel.

Today I just started a sprint routine as well as I've been reading that sprinting is as beneficial or more than steady state cardio for fat loss....but I also enjoy the crap out of running so I'd never let it replace it.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Good morning! My basic question is: how far / how long / how often should I be running, walking, jogging?

I'm an active person (woman, 29) who runs occaisionally but mostly just stays active (softball, cycling to work, walking regularly, drop-in gym classes,etc.) and am now trying to set more goals and keep more of a workout schedule - as I decide to get 'fitter.' (I can wear a bathing suit but want to rock it).

How far, how long and how often do 'fit' people run/walk/jog? I don't need to become a marathoner but I do want to feel awesome and look good :) Some ballpark numbers might help me set some initial goals. Thanks!
    I would say 3 days a week minimum to go out and run. How far? Depends on your ability.

I prefer 5 days a week usually.
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I heard on the John Tesh show a couple days ago (accidentally) that it's bad for you to run more than 5 or 6 miles per week. Running an equivalent of a half marathon each week puts too much strain on the body.

I laughed and changed the station.