What comes after C25K?

Options
I am a beginner at running. 47 years old and have hated running my whole life. I have over 100 pounds to loose, and in my journey started Couch to 5K. I am in week 7, and have scheduled myself for 2 5 K's at the end of this summer. I currently run a slow 18 minute mile. My goal is to actually be able to run the 2nd 5K without walking, and I would also like to pick up the pace a bit.

I am looking for suggestions. Do I just keep doing the 30 minute last week over and over to increase speed? Do I increase my time slowly till I can run the whole 5 K?

Ideas, inspiration, thoughts, are all welcome!
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I personally went with distance first. As you pointed out, if you're a slower runner, you still don't quite go 5k at the end of 30 minutes so I worked on building my endurance in order to run the whole 5k. Once I was able to do that consistently for a couple of months, I started slowly adding speed intervals.

The most important part of all this is doing nice gradual increases so you don't risk injury - meaning don't push too hard and listen to your body. Good luck!!!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner at running. 47 years old and have hated running my whole life. I have over 100 pounds to loose, and in my journey started Couch to 5K. I am in week 7, and have scheduled myself for 2 5 K's at the end of this summer. I currently run a slow 18 minute mile. My goal is to actually be able to run the 2nd 5K without walking, and I would also like to pick up the pace a bit.

I am looking for suggestions. Do I just keep doing the 30 minute last week over and over to increase speed? Do I increase my time slowly till I can run the whole 5 K?

Ideas, inspiration, thoughts, are all welcome!
    Thanks in advance :)

Once you are done with the training I would keep with it until you can do the full thing without stopping.
    Then work a distance run in 1-2 times a week along with shorter, faster runs as well. You will get faster just by putting more miles in actually. More you put in, easier it gets, and the easier it gets the faster you go.

Instead of doing that last week each time out have one day be a HIIT day. Go as fast as you can for 60 seconds, walk for 60 (or 120) seconds. Repeat and each week add another interation to it. Doesnt sound like much but it wears you out and HIIT is great way to get a good workout in a short amount of time.

Maybe if you are running 3X a week do a long run, a HIIT and a mid range run (1/2-3/4) your long run.
  • brn14me
    brn14me Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    are you running 18 minute mile without walking?
  • Zombierawr
    Zombierawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone, I recommend the Nike + Running app. It has a "coach" function that has everything - 5K, 10K, Half and full marathons for beginner, intermediate and advanced runners. It's free too. It'll give you a schedule that you can keep using and keep track of how much you are moving too.
  • janehome1
    janehome1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My app has on week 7 day 1 walk pace avg 23.43 mins and run pace 18.40 avg. I was just trying to hit the 25 minute mark so not pushing speed at all. I was focused on not stopping. But I am SLOOWW
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I would focus on making the full 5k non stop at whatever pace. Then, when you know you can cover the desired distance, work on getting to a speed that you like. As you get fitter & faster, you may choose new goals and research various training plans that go with them. The #1 thing I recommend is to set goals.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K and then moved to the Runtastic app. It's free and it has a number of training programs in it - or you can just run on your own and it will track your time, distance, elevation, etc. I'm currently using the interval program to build my speed. I can now run a 5 K, but I'm incredibly slow - my best is a 13:55 mile.
    I'm sure the Nike app is good, too. I just don't have any experience with it.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation 8 months ago with over 100 pounds to lose. I actually started with only walking. When I did C25K I focused strictly on the time. When I completed it, again, I focused on running for 30 minutes. After doing it for a couple of weeks, the speed increased without any conscious effort.

As mentioned earlier, don't overdo it at this stage. If you push yourself too hard you'll start hating it. You're not trying to win races here. When you drop some of the weight you'll probably catch the running bug and focus more on the distance and speed.

If you want more information on how I increased my distance, speed and time, PM me. I can send you a spreadsheet of every single workout until I ran my first 10K.

And even though I'm sure you were told many times, you MUST get yourself fitted for decent running shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes. You'll pay a little more (not much, my shoes cost me $100) but it's worth it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Right now you are still building your base...so continue on with that. You can do that by moving on to the B210K app, or something similar. I personally just continued building onto my base and eventually worked in a long run using this:

http://davidhays.net/running/buildingbase.html
  • mammahawk25
    mammahawk25 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    B210K is one way to go if you like to continue with run/walk intervals. I enjoyed One Hour Runner after completing C25k, I feel like it picked up where C25k left off.

Here's what it looks like:

Weeks 1 – 3: Right now you are running 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week. Your weekly commitment of time is 90 minutes. Continue doing this for three weeks.
    Week 4: Run 30 minutes, 29 minutes, 35 minutes. Weekly total: 94 minutes
    Week 5: Run 30 minutes, 32 minutes, 38 minutes Weekly total: 100 minutes
    Week 6: Run 30 minutes, 33 minutes, 41 minutes Weekly total: 104 minutes
    Week 7: Run 30 minutes, 34 minutes, 45 minutes Weekly total: 109 minutes
    Week 8: Run 30 minutes, 36 minutes, 49 minute Weekly total: 115 minutes
    Week 9: Run 30 minutes, 38 minutes, 54 minutes Weekly total: 122 minutes
    Week 10: Run 30 minutes, 40 minutes, 60 minutes Weekly total: 130 minutes

taken from: http://kathrineswitzer.com/runner/training/running-program/
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The rest of your running life.

rduhlir is right when it comes to programming - I have nothing to add there.

However, try different things - distances, places, events.

Do you love running on the treadmill or on the road or on the trail or the track?

Do races inspire you or exhaust you? (One of my friends has run for a year and a half and has NEVER done a race)

Would you like to travel to run in different places or would you prefer to keep it close to home (one person I know travels to different countries for marathons)?

What distances do you like best and least?

Do you like running as part of a group or solo?

Do you like to mix things up?

Running can be all kinds of things depending on your mood and needs and the season, etc. Find an aspect of running that will inspire you to get out there on the best and worst days.

Personally, I have found that - while I like all kinds of running - trail races fulfill a piece of me that nothing else quite hits. I love every part of them. My goal next year is to train for different distances on trail races.
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Harder, better, faster, stronger! Like everyone has said, switch it up, challenge yourself, and enjoy the pleasure of running! :smile:
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    There is nothing in the rule book that says you need to do anything at all after C25K. I thought I needed to get faster, go further, run harder... be better. It made me not enjoy running. I run for pleasure. I run in places that I love. By the ocean, with the cool breeze. On the flat walking path is I am tired and not feeling like I want to do hills.

You *can* do whatever you choose. Want to run faster - work toward that. Want to go further - work toward that. Just don't get wrapped up in what you *should* do. There is no should in running.

Last summer my goal was to run a 5K in under 30 minutes. Now that I've done that I have slowed down considerably. Pushing that hard was not fun for me. I did it. I am proud of it, but I am not looking to break any records for speed this summer. I decided I would like to complete a 10K this year. So, I am slowly working my way up to 5 miles this month, 6 miles next month, 10K in September. I don't care how long it takes. Just that I run it.

Run because you love it. :flowerforyou:
  • janehome1
    janehome1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Liktisplit,

I road run now by my house. I am not good at running on the treadmill, it is a steady pace that I can't seem to match, no matter the speed I set it at.. Running from home is challenging no matter the direction I run within .5 miles at the farthest and a few hundred feet at the shortest, I have steep 60 - 100 foot inclines/declines. I have this far run as far up the hills as I find comfortable turn around and run back. Sometimes my gps map looks like a freaking star pattern. I pushed a little too much on the hills last week and had some hamstring pain, so I'm limiting my hills a bit more until I feel stronger.

My first goal is to actually run a 5 K. Long term I'd love to run 5 miles, you know, get up in the morning and say "Hey I'm going for a run" and just kinda enjoy life for 5 miles. The thought of a half marathon has crossed my mind, but that is too big of a goal at this point. One step at a time.

I also only enjoy running so far to music. The time seems to blend better with music. I was entertaining books on tape too. If I run to no sound, I keep thinking "Man I hate this, when can I stop?" I put on music, and suddenly I'm Rocky.

Another concern I have is winter shows up in my neck of the woods, cold, wet and icy. I hate to loose what I've gained this year and to be redundant, the treadmill is NOT my friend. So any winter suggestions also accepted!

Thank you everyone, this is a great group of people!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Liktisplit,

I road run now by my house. I am not good at running on the treadmill, it is a steady pace that I can't seem to match, no matter the speed I set it at.. Running from home is challenging no matter the direction I run within .5 miles at the farthest and a few hundred feet at the shortest, I have steep 60 - 100 foot inclines/declines. I have this far run as far up the hills as I find comfortable turn around and run back. Sometimes my gps map looks like a freaking star pattern. I pushed a little too much on the hills last week and had some hamstring pain, so I'm limiting my hills a bit more until I feel stronger.

My first goal is to actually run a 5 K. Long term I'd love to run 5 miles, you know, get up in the morning and say "Hey I'm going for a run" and just kinda enjoy life for 5 miles. The thought of a half marathon has crossed my mind, but that is too big of a goal at this point. One step at a time.

I also only enjoy running so far to music. The time seems to blend better with music. I was entertaining books on tape too. If I run to no sound, I keep thinking "Man I hate this, when can I stop?" I put on music, and suddenly I'm Rocky.

Another concern I have is winter shows up in my neck of the woods, cold, wet and icy. I hate to loose what I've gained this year and to be redundant, the treadmill is NOT my friend. So any winter suggestions also accepted!

Thank you everyone, this is a great group of people!

It's runners.

Hills suck in a very awesome way. In a year from now, you will bless your hills.

Are you doing the C25k program? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Music is very important when you first start running to distract you from all the niggles.

Some people are seasonal runners. Others strap on their Yaxtrax and hit the roads no matter what.

The treadmill is nobody's friend. You'll learn to use it as a tool when the time comes.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great as it is. Just keep going. At this point, don't worry about speed, just keep putting in the time and try to go just a bit more, a bit longer, or a bit more difficult as far as hills. Don't forget to take rest day and easy weeks. One suggestion I got from an experienced runner was to slowly increase the amount of time you are running per week for three weeks in a row, then drop back some and give yourself an easy week, then slowly increase again.

I just started running a little over a year ago. I had trouble keeping the running up in the winter, not due as much to snow and ice as much as to darkness. I had to be at work for all the hours that we had daylight and didn't want to run on icy roads or paths in the dark. What I did was to do stair workouts on the weekdays, before and after work and during breaks, trying to go up the stairs as fast as I could, then doing some body weight exercises and stretching. I also found a community pool and started swimming on some evenings. Then I would run on the weekends. I was happy to find when Spring came that I had improved my running even though I was only doing true running one or two days a week.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I did two Week 3 C25k workouts back to back.

Ended up managing 3.7 miles in 60 mins. Great motivation to keep going.