Lightheaded While Working Out

Options
I have been working out with a trainer 1 time a week for the past year and a half in addition to my cardio and own strength training. For the past 3 weeks I have been getting light headed during the training sessions and I don't know what is causing it. I eat a good breakfast about an hour to hour and a half before I work out with her. (3 egg whites with a piece of weight watchers string cheese on it, a banana, and 2 slices of light bread) What can I do to stop this from happening? I am trying to push through it but it only gets worse. I don't want to pass out at the gym.

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor if I were you.
  • jillybean0603
    Options
    I just had a complete physical, all was good!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I just had a complete physical, all was good!

Did the physical include blood work? Blood sugar markers?

How's your nutrition, are you eating enough? How's your water intake? How's your breathing while exercising, do you tend to hold your breath too long?
  • brn14me
    brn14me Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A doctor would be able to tell you much more than any advice here.
    Did you mention this to the doctor? As asked how is your blood work? Orthostatic hypotension? So many variables that if you take any advice other than your doctors, it should be from another doctor.
  • rtreit
    rtreit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lightheadedness while working out is a symptom of dehydration. So that's one possibility. How's your hydration?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Focus on your breathing, make sure you are not holding your breath! I do that a lot :-) Also, I have a strange low resting heart rate and low blood pressure (not unhealthy, just low) and when I start to get that weird dizzy thing I lay on my back and put my feet up on a bench, goes away in like 30 seconds. I've been to the doctor as well, I have no medical issues, it's just how my body is.

And like someone mentioned, dehydration can cause it too.
  • marlyu
    marlyu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I second whether your physical included blood work. Iron deficiency would lead to getting light headed too. None of your breakfast items listed would be high sources of iron and women in general are often iron deficient. Get iron levels checked and/or take an iron supplement or daily multivitamin with iron in it.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Do you stay plenty hydrated while working out? Before, during, and after?
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    When we're stressed or tense, we often take more shallow breaths. Could it just be a tension thing? I know if I'm not breathing properly during my lifts, things start swimming! Usually it's that or I didn't eat enough the day before my workout.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting back on sodium at all, either unintentionally or deliberately? You could be giving yourself hypotension.