Not getting enough protein

Options
I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat much meat. I dislike fish and chicken and besides bacon, I don't have much taste for beef or pork although I do sometimes have it. What alternatives are there to get more protein in?

Replies

• oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Eggs, avocados, pulses?
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Peas!
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is the easiest and quickest way to add protein I find. But yes everything else mentioned here too.
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are easy. You can prepare them ahead of time and they make for a quick snack. Cottage cheese. Cheesesticks. I add protein powder to my oatmeal to add protein. Dashing Dish has an excellent protein shake recipe. It's the only one that I have actually enjoyed. So delicious.
  • IgnatiousOReilly
    Options
    Avocados, I totally forgot about them! Thanks for all the suggestions. Protein shake will probably be the best solution for me but I definitely need more pulses and seeds too.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Since when are avocados considered high in protein :huh:

OP I don't eat a lot of meat, but I second the cottage cheese, proteins shakes, eggs, protein bars etc. Sometimes I'll even blend cottage cheese into my scrambled eggs or shakes...but I'm weird with food combos too. Turkey jerky and string cheese are also some easy snacks that are high in protein.
  • justingchristiano
    justingchristiano Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein, greek yogurt - unflavored or light'n'fit if you're watching carbs, egg whites, low fat milk. You can try soy protein isolate or pea protein isolate if whey bothers you but you don't get the actual protein content from the label with these as they don't digest entirely and don't have as complete amino acid profiles as whey. Cottage cheese is great if you can down it - try to find low sodium if you're monitoring salt intake. Lentils - if you're okay with the carb content. Really though... even though you don't want to hear this... lean meat is your best friend when it comes to protein. You didn't mention turkey below... how about that? The options I've mentioned above should also assist with filling your protein needs.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt - brands like fage, liberte

Eggs, Cheese, etc.

Whey and/or casein protein powders.
  • Nightfall7
    Nightfall7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Protein powders and protein bars are convenient, as are hard boiled eggs and canned tuna.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese. I mix in some extra-hot salsa and eat it by the bowlful. A 1 kg tub doesn't last long in this house, and I'm the only one that eats it.

Greek yogurt is awesome. My favourite ways to eat it are with oats/milled flaxseed and honey, or with 1 tbsp of cocoa powder, erythritol to taste, and slivered almonds.

I also mix egg whites into my oatmeal to make them much more filling. Mostly cook the oatmeal, turn the heat down to medium low and add the egg whites. Stir until they set. Tastes surprisingly good with vanilla extract and cinnamon mixed in.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    +1 on eggs, peas and greek yogurt.

If you like it, low-fat cheese has the same protein:fat ratio as eggs.
  • staceybrnan
    Options
    how about a protein supplement? I drink a high protein shake every morning that is low in fat and carbs, lowish in calories, and has 30g of protein. http://www.premierprotein.com/ is the brand. Im finding that this alone helps me along on my protein macro goal.
  • storyborey
    storyborey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd say peas and broccoli.