Skinny Fat (Muscle Gain or Fat Loss)

Options
Hey, just signed up after doing some research and thought id throw a question out there that i have been trying to answer for about a week.

Skinny Fat. I am trying to choose the best path for skinny fat. Calculated i am about 16.5% BF and ideally i want to get to 12% BF. My question is, should i look at increasing calories etc rather than reduce. Really want to get back into the gym, but want to sort out my diet first.

Work random hours with no set lunch break (rarely even took lunch), in the last year, especially last 6 months, i can go all day without any food, only around 8 i may feel hungry. I think I've messed up my metabolism, as not that i didn't eat to loose weight, just not hungry or had no time. I am thinking it may be better to increase calories but reduce carbs, cut sugar etc and then hit the weights and wait for the body to transform over time.

Any advice or links to reputable articles or anything? Really trying to decide if i need to increase, if so, where do i start to set a calorie goal?

Pretty clued up on what foods to eat etc, just so many sources giving different advice on what to do, easy to get lost.

Anyone fought the Skinny Fat war and won?

Replies

• stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I take it you're male, correct?

It you're trying to improve your physique and you're currently 16+% bf... you need to start with losing fat first. Doing the opposite... going into a calorie surplus... would only lead to more fat gain. Sure, you could also add some muscle while eating a surplus, but again, you'd be adding more fat too. In fact, I'd argue that trying to gain from an already "unlearn" state would only accelerate fat gain.

It's better to start a muscle building phase from a leaner state.

Now this doesn't mean you shouldn't be holding off on exercise while eating a deficit. Hardly! By throwing in resistance training while eating a deficit will help preserve the muscle you currently have, which goes a LONG way in improving physique and ditching the skinny fat situation. If you haven't been resistance training, there's even a chance you go adding some muscle while eating a deficit, which is even better.

As far as a screwed up metabolism... I doubt it.

Check out this link I just shared to Facebook... it's part of a documentary on metabolism and it should be eye opening for a lot of people:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=790505804305144&id=206180602737670

In general though... metabolic rate is not as volatile as many people assume.
  • Jason7Scott
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Yea i am male.

Makes perfect sense, ill start looking at a deficit. I have read in places 250 or 500 is a good way to go in deficit. Think i can easily achieve 500 deficit from my maintenance level, so no risks there or could i do more damage cutting so much from maintenance level?

Haven't done any training in a while, so i am sure i can build some muscle mass while getting a leaner. Ill look to cut my BF to 12% before a calorie surplus, and focus on getting lean between here and 12%.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Yea i am male.

Makes perfect sense, ill start looking at a deficit. I have read in places 250 or 500 is a good way to go in deficit. Think i can easily achieve 500 deficit from my maintenance level, so no risks there or could i do more damage cutting so much from maintenance level?

Haven't done any training in a while, so i am sure i can build some muscle mass while getting a leaner. Ill look to cut my BF to 12% before a calorie surplus, and focus on getting lean between here and 12%.

Quite frankly, in almost all cases the goal should be to lose fat slowly. I'm a fan of 15-30% deficits off of maintenance. Yeah, progress is a bit slower, but it tends to promote things like consistency, muscle preservation, and lasting results.

Maintenance for active people is typically around 14-16 cals/lb.

If you feel you "run a little slow" you might shoot for the lower end of that range.

From there, take a process based approach where you adjust calories every couple of weeks based on what's actually happening. If you're losing too quickly... ramp calories up a bit. Losing too slowly... cut them down a bit. I'd only move in 5-10% increments.
  • Jason7Scott
    Options
    Cheers. My last question (promise) is any recommendations on carbs/protein/fat %?

Have read 40/40/20 is good, however not sure if its too little healthy fats? I read about testosterone levels drop with lack of fats, and making it harder to build muscle. 40/40/20 good ratio overall? Has had good recommendations..

Thought i might throw in also, any thoughts on if i don't reach my target with deficit. Calculated it to be 1800 per day, maintenance of 2330, so around 22% cut. Would i be doing more damage not reaching my daily target, or would it be a bonus if i achieve only 1000 that day. Plan to do calorie shifting on sundays and eat to 2300 so body dosent get use to 1800.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Cheers. My last question (promise) is any recommendations on carbs/protein/fat %?

Have read 40/40/20 is good, however not sure if its too little healthy fats? I read about testosterone levels drop with lack of fats, and making it harder to build muscle. 40/40/20 good ratio overall? Has had good recommendations..

No worries about the questions... let them fly. That's why I hang out around here.

I'm not big on percentages... at least not for everything. The reason is simple... 30% of one person's calorie goal might be just right for one person and totally off for another person's calorie goal.

Here's how I tend to look at it.

Protein should be your foundation that everything else is built upon. As a loose ballpark... something like .75 - 1.5 grams per pound of goal body weight is a good place to find yourself in. I'd err on the 1 - 1.25 g/lb range if I were you.

I like to see 25-30% of calories coming from fat in most cases.

I suggest getting in 3-6 servings of fibrous veggies and 2-3 servings of fruit per day.

What's left of your calorie allotment after the above is taken care of can be filled with whatever you prefer. I like carbs, I function better on carbs, and I realize better progress on with more carbs in my mix. So I tend to fill in my remainder with them. Others don't find this to be the case... and in those cases we usually fill in the remainder with more fat and maybe some more protein.

Even my smallest clients who are on the low end of carb intake get, on average, around 125 grams of it per day. I have other clients who, at times, are consuming 300-400+ grams per day.

I find this approach tends to custom tailor nutrition best to people.
    Thought i might throw in also, any thoughts on if i don't reach my target with deficit. Calculated it to be 1800 per day, maintenance of 2330, so around 22% cut. Would i be doing more damage not reaching my daily target, or would it be a bonus if i achieve only 1000 that day. Plan to do calorie shifting on sundays and eat to 2300 so body dosent get use to 1800.

I don't mind uneven weekly calorie distributions. I have a number of clients whom I tweak calories across the week. In some cases it's to give them more caloric freedom on the weekends when they tend to lack as much control. In other cases it's about doing things like cyclical or targeted ketogenic dieting... where carbs are strategically placed in relation to training... and as carbs flux, so do calories.

But that's neither here nor there for the most part. I think you shouldn't avoid looking at bigger deficits as a bonus. Instead, think in terms eating as much food as possible while still allowing for a reasonable rate of weight loss across a 2-4 week period. With my clients, I'm typically not altering calories sooner than a month's time.... especially my non-obese clients.
  • Jason7Scott
    Options
    Just wondered if you could look at this plan quick and see if its right to start with?
    I am basically doing a somewhat, easy full body workout at home. Consists of:

Pull-Ups - 4 x Sets - 10 Reps 30 Second Rest between Sets
    1 Minute Rest
    Push-Ups - 4 x Sets - 10 Reps 30 Second Rest between Sets
    2 Minute Rest
    Squats - 4 x Sets - 10 Reps 30 Second Rest between Sets
    1 Minute Rest
    Crunches - 4 x Sets - 10 Reps 30 Second Rest between Sets

Seems pretty straight forward and quick, but trying to reduce the risk of failure to start with, so have sorted out my diet and monitoring my calories, carbs, proteins and fats. I want to do a workout i know i can stick to and can't really give myself an excuse not to do for the first few weeks. As i said, in this time i want to reduce my BF to 12% and build up some lean muscle. When i hit this target, thats when the beefy gym sessions can come in with increased calories.

As i build up and find i can complete reps easily, i will up them. For example, would like to hit 20 reps on push ups.. then once thats achieved, change it to diamond pushups. As i said, want to do this workout every morning i wake up as its simple and can be done straight out of bed.
    Do you think the above would be sufficient, especially as a start? or am i really going to lack some results.

One last thing i wanted to also ask was protein. I really like my protein shake, pHD Vanilla. I want to look at having a shake when waking up, after workout and before bed. Reason being i have read that in some principles, protein is obviously good before and after work out, and it also helps muscle recovery over night by having it before bed? I can quite easily fit this into my diet, as i feel i may struggle to hit the protein target so this won't effect my diet plan in anyway. Plus its a decent treat
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Just wondered if you could look at this plan quick and see if its right to start with?
    I am basically doing a somewhat, easy full body workout at home. Consists of:

Pull-Ups - 4 x Sets - 10 Reps 30 Second Rest between Sets
    1 Minute Rest
    Push-Ups - 4 x Sets - 10 Reps 30 Second Rest between Sets
    2 Minute Rest
    Squats - 4 x Sets - 10 Reps 30 Second Rest between Sets
    1 Minute Rest
    Crunches - 4 x Sets - 10 Reps 30 Second Rest between Sets

Seems pretty straight forward and quick, but trying to reduce the risk of failure to start with, so have sorted out my diet and monitoring my calories, carbs, proteins and fats. I want to do a workout i know i can stick to and can't really give myself an excuse not to do for the first few weeks. As i said, in this time i want to reduce my BF to 12% and build up some lean muscle. When i hit this target, thats when the beefy gym sessions can come in with increased calories.

I don't have a problem with it per se.

The adequacy of a program always depends on the person in question. If you haven't been training at all for a while... something like this can be a perfectly reasonable entry into things.

I'll say this...

Physique optimization really boils down to minimizing fat mass and maximizing muscle mass. Most people are pretty good at minimizing fat mass (not keeping it off is something entirely different). We're really good at creating deficits via reduced food and energy-wasting exercise.

It's the whole muscle preservation thing, while living in a deficit, that tends to trip a lot of people up. Compared to the energy-wasting stuff that helps contribute to a deficit, the muscle preserving stuff tends to need more specificity and deliberateness.

But again, coming full circle, if you've not been doing much of anything than the benefit is pretty much anything can preserve muscle... the program you outlined being no different.

If it were me, though, I'd personally prefer for a more balanced attack plan that utilized external loads... this would help bump the challenge up a bit, help ensure muscle maintenance, and help promote potential muscle growth even in the face of a deficit. Now I'm making the assumption that you're not using external loads... so when you say squats you're referring to squats with solely your body weight. Correct me if I'm wrong please. If you do have some equipment at home I'll throw some more suggestions at you. For example... you're not hitting your posterior chain much and there are ways of doing that at home with things like RDLs, hip thrusts, etc.
    As i build up and find i can complete reps easily, i will up them. For example, would like to hit 20 reps on push ups.. then once thats achieved, change it to diamond pushups. As i said, want to do this workout every morning i wake up as its simple and can be done straight out of bed.

Yeah, progressing the intensity is important. I wouldn't personally go much about 15 reps if the goal is muscle preservation and strength development. And you're right... there are ways of progressing intensity with body weight exercises. Your push-ups to diamond push-ups as a prime example. If it were me I'd add in some feet elevated push-ups to increase the loading of your pecs.

If your squats are simply body weight squats... you can progress to single leg variants such as lunges, step-ups, etc. Hell, you could even add load with things like book bags and progressively add more weight over time.

Doing it every day initially is fine. Eventually though, as you get stronger, I'd prefer to see more recovery thrown into the mix. Remember, when you're in a deficit, recovery ability is actually diminished. But again, I wouldn't go worrying about this terribly much until you build up some more strength.

Also, if you do have some equipment, you might be able to create an A and B routine so you can alternate them... provide more variety of stimulus.

For example, you could do a push day and a pull day.

Push day could look something like this:

Squats (with a book bag or whatever implement you have)
    Push-up Variant
    Chair Dips
    Planks

Pull day could look something like this:

Hip thrusts (with some load on your pelvis)
    Pull-ups or Chins
    Inverted Table Rows
    Reverse Crunches

Just some ideas.
    One last thing i wanted to also ask was protein. I really like my protein shake, pHD Vanilla. I want to look at having a shake when waking up, after workout and before bed. Reason being i have read that in some principles, protein is obviously good before and after work out, and it also helps muscle recovery over night by having it before bed? I can quite easily fit this into my diet, as i feel i may struggle to hit the protein target so this won't effect my diet plan in anyway. Plus its a decent treat

I typically drink to shakes per day myself. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it fits your calories and macro goals.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Confused.

You WANT to be skinny fat?
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Confused.

"Anyone fought the Skinny Fat war and won?"
    "Muscle Gain or Fat Loss" (Deciding whether to bulk or cut first)
    "I am trying to choose the best path for skinny fat" (To be read as "for tackling skinny fat")

What room is there for confusion? He clearly wants to get rid of it.

The adequacy of a program always depends on the person in question. If you haven't been training at all for a while... something like this can be a perfectly reasonable entry into things.

I'll say this...

Physique optimization really boils down to minimizing fat mass and maximizing muscle mass. Most people are pretty good at minimizing fat mass (not keeping it off is something entirely different). We're really good at creating deficits via reduced food and energy-wasting exercise.

It's the whole muscle preservation thing, while living in a deficit, that tends to trip a lot of people up. Compared to the energy-wasting stuff that helps contribute to a deficit, the muscle preserving stuff tends to need more specificity and deliberateness.

But again, coming full circle, if you've not been doing much of anything than the benefit is pretty much anything can preserve muscle... the program you outlined being no different.

If it were me, though, I'd personally prefer for a more balanced attack plan that utilized external loads... this would help bump the challenge up a bit, help ensure muscle maintenance, and help promote potential muscle growth even in the face of a deficit. Now I'm making the assumption that you're not using external loads... so when you say squats you're referring to squats with solely your body weight. Correct me if I'm wrong please. If you do have some equipment at home I'll throw some more suggestions at you. For example... you're not hitting your posterior chain much and there are ways of doing that at home with things like RDLs, hip thrusts, etc.

Stroutman81, you ought to be commended for being among the few here who are both savvy and can deliver information with clarity. Nice.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Check out this link I just shared to Facebook... it's part of a documentary on metabolism and it should be eye opening for a lot of people:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=790505804305144&id=206180602737670

That was interesting. It's so common to just say "Oh, I have a low metabolism." I've considered before that that was part of my problem with stalled weight loss, but when I followed a plan to "reset my metabolism" it didn't have any effect on me, which seems to be supported by this doctor who says that it is rarely the problem.

Thanks for sharing!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Confused.

"I am trying to choose the best path for skinny fat" (To be read as "for tackling skinny fat")

I'll say this...

Stroutman81, you ought to be commended for being among the few here who are both savvy and can deliver information with clarity. Nice.
    Of which I would think he would have said AGAINST skinny fat
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Of which I would think he would have said AGAINST skinny fat

Part of reading comprehension involves non-selective reading. Context lets you fill in certain gaps, which is why I provided more than one quotation.

"Anyone fought the Skinny Fat war and won?" Surely a war is something toward which one is against, as you said.

That and just about everything else he said confirms the implications therein.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Confused.

I'll say this...

Thanks, I appreciate that. I was just skimming over some of my posts and my voice to text definitely botched a few things but I think it was understandable nonetheless.
  • stroutman81
    Options

That was interesting. It's so common to just say "Oh, I have a low metabolism." I've considered before that that was part of my problem with stalled weight loss, but when I followed a plan to "reset my metabolism" it didn't have any effect on me, which seems to be supported by this doctor who says that it is rarely the problem.

Thanks for sharing!

Very rarely. Think of it like this. We've been putting people on calorie deficits in metabolic wards for research purposes for a long time now. Never has there been a study performed where a deficit didn't cause someone to lose weight. Yet out here in the real world people claim time and time again that a deficit doesn't work for them.

When we put self purported weight-loss-resistant folks on a clinically controlled deficit in research conditions... they lose weight. These are people who swear that no matter what they try, they can't lose. Yet when we ensure that they actually are rocking a deficit... the weight comes off.

Emotionally we want it to be something that's "broken" in us. It would shift the blame and offer the hope for some sort of specific solution.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of times it has everything to do with inaccuracy with regards to calorie intake or expenditure, inadequate allowance for time to do it's thing, unrealistic expectations, and things of this nature.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I would personally up the calories, and hit the weights hard! People usually make the most gains the 6 months of weight training, I would take advantage of this window and try to put on as much muscle mass as possible. Inwoukld worry about cutting down later, it should be easier to cut down with the added muscle mass. This would be the route I would take. Just my prefferance...
  • stroutman81
    Options
    I would personally up the calories, and hit the weights hard! People usually make the most gains the 6 months of weight training, I would take advantage of this window and try to put on as much muscle mass as possible. Inwoukld worry about cutting down later, it should be easier to cut down with the added muscle mass. This would be the route I would take. Just my prefferance...

That's a fair approach.

For me, in my experience, the novice window of opportunity is open, surplus or not. I see people new to lifting put on muscle in the face of a deficit quite frequently - especially if they have some fat on them. And in this particular case, once he decided to turn the deficit around and move into surplus territory... there would still be some "newbie oomph" to run with for the maximization of muscle growth.

Novice or not, when it comes to my male clients, assuming the primary goals are aesthetically based and assuming they're drug free, I'm not bulking until they're down around 10-12%. Starting north of that general zone, give or take some points, promotes too much fat accumulation for my personal liking. It'll merely lengthen the time required to shed the fat later on thus potentially interfering with some of the muscle gains acquired.

But I can appreciate your point.... maximize it while you can isn't something I'd consider as bad or wrong advice. There are a lot of ways you can skin a cat.
  • caesar164
    Options

That's a fair approach.

For me, in my experience, the novice window of opportunity is open, surplus or not. I see people new to lifting put on muscle in the face of a deficit quite frequently - especially if they have some fat on them. And in this particular case, once he decided to turn the deficit around and move into surplus territory... there would still be some "newbie oomph" to run with for the maximization of muscle growth.

Novice or not, when it comes to my male clients, assuming the primary goals are aesthetically based and assuming they're drug free, I'm not bulking until they're down around 10-12%. Starting north of that general zone, give or take some points, promotes too much fat accumulation for my personal liking. It'll merely lengthen the time required to shed the fat later on thus potentially interfering with some of the muscle gains acquired.

But I can appreciate your point.... maximize it while you can isn't something I'd consider as bad or wrong advice. There are a lot of ways you can skin a cat.

Noted. The reason the body puts on muscle "easier" in a caloric surplus is because, being in a caloric surplus, puts the body in a anabolic state. Being at a defecit will put you in a catabolic state. In which the body consumes both muscle and fat. Putting on new muscle while being at a a defecit is nearly impossible. What you thought was muscle growth was in fact the development of nerve motor units being developed from putting the muscle under new load that it is not accustomed to. So you do see what appears to be muscle development and maturity, but there is no new muscle growth, your simply just maintaining at best...
  • caesar164
    Options
    The caloric surplus I would suggest would be of a mere 200 or so calories above maintenance, to attempt to keep fat gain at aminimum
  • caesar164
    Options
    I guess it all comes down to what's more important for the op. Op, is it more important for you at this point to get leaner and show some definition at the risk of getting to a low bodyweight? Or is it important to put on added muscle mass and gain lean body weight? If I were skinny fat, I would be eager to put on mass on my shoulders, chest, legs and back.. I would want to fill out and get as strong as possible! That's just me though, some rather be thin and cut, my goal is to be big and cut... Stroutman81, your a muscular dude, so psychologically we really don't know what its like to be "skinny fat"...