Chocolate bar protein

Options
I don't want people to know I am taking protein bars because of the stigma. I know it's wrong, but I don't want to be discussing it with people that won't understand without a lot of explanation.

So, if i'm offered a chocolate bar (candy bar?), what is my best high protein option when I can't choose a protein bar?

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite understanding what negative stigma is associated with protein bars? They're not steroid bars or something lol. They're just a candy bar with quite a bit more protein that the average bar. Things like Quest bars are my favorite, macro-wise.

Protein options that aren't bars or shakes would be basically meat being the best source, edamame, eggs, Greek yogurt, cheese, lentils, beans, tofu, cottage cheese.

There's nothing special about protein bars outside of their convenience for those who are busy and can't cook all the time or are out a lot. Their purpose is to fulfill your protein macro. If you can do that without the bars or shakes, the by all means, do so.

ETA: I totally misunderstood the question lmao. Dark chocolate would probably be your best bet, typically for calories vs protein for regular chocolate bars
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    oh henry would be your best bet i believe (6g's of protein) but chocolate bars typically have very little protein.

just curious what the negative stigma is towards protein bars? i personally havent heard anything bad about them, if someone asks you could just say you need more protein in your diet, or lie and say they taste better than other chocolate bars
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm not understanding the "stigma" either. I don't eat them, but that's because they're expensive for me (on a super tight budget) and they can sometimes constipate me. But they sure are tasty.

What's wrong with saying, without any judgment or condescension, "On, no thank you, I brought a snack," and grab your bar for snack time? That's what I'd do.

ETA: And WHO are these people that offer FREE food, and where can I find them? I always have to pay for my own snacks, lol!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Wondering if OP doesn't want people to ask whether he/she is trying to lose weight, thereby removing discussion about nutrition (like eat an apple instead of a protein bar?), exercise, what their neighbor's mother's dog did to lose weight, etc.?? Or just because people will go, "Ew-protein bars are gross"? Most are...

I love me some Quest bars and do not care what people think about what I eat! :smile:
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I have Quest bars and whoever rolls there eyes about me eating them are just jealous because I'm eating better than them.
  • storyborey
    storyborey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, though my question hasn't really been answered. I know there is nothing wrong with protein bars, I know I should be able to eat them without explanation, but I also know that if I eat one in front of my friends I will have to explain nonetheless. Most of the time I don't want to do that.

Maybe it's different in America?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, though my question hasn't really been answered. I know there is nothing wrong with protein bars, I know I should be able to eat them without explanation, but I also know that if I eat one in front of my friends I will have to explain nonetheless. Most of the time I don't want to do that.

I get what you mean; having to justify eating certain foods to people. I get it a lot, just tell them you like the food!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    i have never once heard a "negative stigma" about a protein bar other than people who say they taste bad
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options

I just tell people it's what I prefer and that I'm working on losing weight. I've never had people really question me beyond the initial "why" when I give them that reasoning :smile:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I've gotten comments like, "you eat/drink protein bars/shakes while trying to LOSE weight?!" like it's a completely ludicrous idea. I just smile and say, "yep!" They think protein makes you gain weight and I know the truth - na na na boo boo, stick your head in doo doo. Now leave me be while I enjoy my delicious gooey microwaved Quest bar.

No candy bar is going to give you anywhere near the amount of protein as a protein bar. Just eat the damn protein bar; who cares what anyone else thinks? Why do you feel the need to explain yourself to your friends? Insecure much?
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would think anything with nuts would be better than a wafer or caramel based bar. Cliff bars are one of my favorites.
  • amberjnelson
    amberjnelson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    I have Quest bars and whoever rolls there eyes about me eating them are just jealous because I'm eating better than them.
  • amberjnelson
    amberjnelson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sooo true!
  • shanehackney
    shanehackney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would be curious as to why your friend has an issue with it. Maybe we can get you some information that will put his/her issues to rest. In the U.S., protein bars are about as normal as they come now a days... Many varieties and they are sold everywhere.
  • Ziggyzambo
    Ziggyzambo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'd think your best bet is something with a lot of nuts, like a Payday (if those aren't available in your country, I'm sure there's something else that's chock full of nuts).
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    What exactly the "stigma" you are referring to? I have never heard anything negative about them. Who have you been talking to?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't want people to know I am taking protein bars because of the stigma. I know it's wrong, but I don't want to be discussing it with people that won't understand without a lot of explanation.

So, if i'm offered a chocolate bar (candy bar?), what is my best high protein option when I can't choose a protein bar?

I bet you want people to believe you don't fart or poop either, right?

Eat the damn candy bar. Fit it into your daily caloric allowance.

And what stigmata is there associated with protein bars....lol? I eat them at work all the time, I'm yet to be labeled as a heretic or doomsayer.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I get not wanting to explain your food. I eat stuff some others won't at work and get questions. I don't particularly like it, because it's none of their business. Doesn't stop me from doing whatever I think is best for my personal goals though.

I'll throw my vote in with the others that said Quest Bar. Plus, it doesn't have a weird wrapper or anything. Just looks like a candy bar....which it basically is.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5CiY32VwcQMUq02ymLv9ejZMtJiHGSKY3rwh4zCYyKnVziLkJ

EDIT: I get what you're asking, but it's going to be impossible to meet your protein goals when you're trying to source it from something like chocolate. If you're looking for a "best of the worst" type thing, I like dark chocolate covered almonds.