Birthday in 12 days! Should I eat what I want or stick to th

Options
I'm going to be 23 in 12 days. My grandmother has decided she's going to cook for me, like she does every year, but I haven't told her what I want to do yet. Should I stick to eating healthy on my birthday, or should I let go a little and have my favorite home-cooked foods? I don't eat red meat or poultry, just fish, and I have also been limiting my dairy intake for the past 3 years, so I'm already limited. What should I do?

Replies

• Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Go with home cooked foods :)!
    It's one day afterall. As long as the foods are healthy...!
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I would have your favorite home cooked foods on your birthday, afterall it's your big day and a few treats never hurt anyone:smile: Just make sure that you get back on track the following day. I allow myself one cheat day a week to keep me sane and it doesn't effect my weight loss. Enjoy!
  • crobertson1916
    Options
    I agree with Nikki. I also have one cheat day a week, but still try not to overdo it.
  • urnewbuddee
    urnewbuddee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I would have your favorite home cooked foods on your birthday, afterall it's your big day and a few treats never hurt anyone:smile: Just make sure that you get back on track the following day. I allow myself one cheat day a week to keep me sane and it doesn't effect my weight loss. Enjoy!

One cheat day a week sounds like a really good idea! I think I'll take your advice on that and eating what I want for my birthday. All I really want is my Gram's cheesy mashed potatoes anyway haha
  • lastraw
    lastraw Posts: 32
    Options
    One cheat meal a week is how I have done it as well. It makes those special occasions special. Enjoy and happy birthday!
  • StasiaK67
    Options
    My vote is for you to enjoy your favorite home cooked meals that your grandma is going to make for you! Eat what you like, however you can still be good by not over doing your portions! Just stick with one portion, and maybe a little more of your absolute favorite, but just don't go back for thirds!! Happy Birthday and be good to yourself!! Everything in moderation keeps a good balance.
    happy b'day!
    stasia:smile:
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    I think I might start doing cheat meals...! :) Sounds like such a good idea.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    Make your grandma happy and eat what you want - just keep your portions small, eat slowly and enjoy the food and how wonderful it tastes. Stop when you are feeling satisfied, before you are full.
    Happy birthday!
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    If you want to stick to an overall healthy lifestyle (says the girl who is just starting to figure it out all over again - though I once lead one in the past! ha!), you need to allow yourself indulgences from time to time. Your birthday is a great reason! Eat the tatters, have a slice of cake and go to sleep happy. The next day? Get up and move forward with your healthy lifestyle, no guilt required.
  • JayLee127
    Options
    I was just about to make a similar post. First of all, Happy Early Birthday!! Mine is on the 27th and I decided that IF I can continue to eat right until tat day, I will have some pizza with my Dad who is coming in from Texas and misses NY Pizza. But then, I have my mom's side of the fam - I was wondering if I should go to my fav restaurant or tell them we should not indulge in food on my birthday but do something different - but what, is what I was struglling with.

It's all bad timing. I just started and I feel like that would be going backwards - I have Pringle-itis. Once I pop something indulgent in my mouth, I can't stop!

That's my fear. I agree that we should be able to indulge from time to time and enjoy life - that's what it's about, life, enjoyment, so I don't want to totally deprive myself of wonderful foods, but I am scared it will send me back to sitting on the couch eating bowl after bowl of ice cream, followed by cookies. HELP!
  • crobertson1916
    Options
    I was just about to make a similar post. First of all, Happy Early Birthday!! Mine is on the 27th and I decided that IF I can continue to eat right until tat day, I will have some pizza with my Dad who is coming in from Texas and misses NY Pizza. But then, I have my mom's side of the fam - I was wondering if I should go to my fav restaurant or tell them we should not indulge in food on my birthday but do something different - but what, is what I was struglling with.

It's all bad timing. I just started and I feel like that would be going backwards - I have Pringle-itis. Once I pop something indulgent in my mouth, I can't stop!

That's my fear. I agree that we should be able to indulge from time to time and enjoy life - that's what it's about, life, enjoyment, so I don't want to totally deprive myself of wonderful foods, but I am scared it will send me back to sitting on the couch eating bowl after bowl of ice cream, followed by cookies. HELP!

You absolutely had me laughing! I know exactly what you mean. I would say to enjoy the pizza with dad, but don't overindulge. Also, cut yourself some slack! You're new to this and you'll get the hang of it. No worries!
  • rabbitgonecrazy
    Options
    Hi My birthdays on the 26th and im soo going to eat what I want....lol:laugh:
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, and I want to be thin so that skews my choices.

Maybe have her make ONE thing and the rest be ultra good for you :)

Happy early birthday!
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    today was my birthday, i eat what i wanted, but i kept the portions down, i still came in under goal. eat for taste and enjoy each bite. If we don't enjoy ourselves now and then, it makes the journey harder,
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    today was my birthday, i eat what i wanted, but i kept the portions down, i still came in under goal. eat for taste and enjoy each bite. If we don't enjoy ourselves now and then, it makes the journey harder,