Hot Flashes due to Dieting?

Options
From Jan-Apr I dieted and lost 17 lbs eating 1535 NET calories. That's basically also what I ate though b/c I didn't exercise much. No problems except I started getting hot flashes in the afternoon that would start from 1:30 and last until 4-6pm. I have hypothyroidism and had a dose increase in January so I originally thought it was related to that, however I was retested and everything was normal.

I stopped dieting in May, and most of June. I didn't notice any issues in that time frame.

I started dieting again last Saturday and I didn't really notice anything last week but THIS week I can only imagine this is what menopause feels like! I feel like my body is sweating to death, although my skin feels rather cool and clammy to the touch. I'm currently averaging 1452 NET, though I am exercising now, and although it jumps around a lot, I'm averaging 1729 eating.

I'm 27, F, 5' 3.5", about 160 lbs (159.4 lbs as of this morning).

Could it be sugar-related? At last check though everything was in range, insulin was 20, A1c 5.0, sugar 90.

I have a doctor's appointment in August for a physical but I really feel like I'm going crazy here!

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Most people experience the exact opposite. I've never heard of anyone having hot flashes due to calorie restriction.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yeah I had the opposite. I'm down 25lbs and I was having odd chills in 80 degree weather. I mean, like I was wearing a fleece jacket in 75-80 degree heat!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and have cycling through hot flashes, but it's been conformed I am menopausal. I've never heard of hot flashes from calorie restriction either. You need to talk to your doctor.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Well, I admit I was hoping for an easy answer but doesn't look like it (should have guessed, I didn't see many posts when I searched google on this topic).

Can't say I'm looking forward to contacting my doctor with this again. Last time i had the nurse laugh at me last time for coming in with "hot flashes" b/c of my age she really thought it was odd I guess, and since it wasn't scheduled i saw the physician's assistant instead who made me feel like a hypochondriac (which I probably am slightly). Granted I sort of forced them into re-testing my thyroid b/c I was convinced that was the issue last time (it wasn't).

I'll give it another week, if it doesn't get better I guess I'll contact my doctor's office again.