Nuts, Seeds, Healthy Oil & Avacados

deannajf4
deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
So - just curious how everyone handles the high calorie count of nuts seeds, oils and avacados? They are SO good for you, but just ruin the day as far as calorie counting goes! I'm tempted to just eat a 1/2 cup of nuts here and there and not actually log it (or at least not worry about being "over" 300 or so cals - as long as the nuts is where it came from...) Is it true that the high cals of nuts etc. will ruin my weight loss??

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    If you eat more total calories than your body can use in a day (your TDEE or maintenance calories) then yes, it will ruin your weight loss.

I eat an ounce of almonds every day and avocado when I can get them on sale. But I log them and make them fit into my calorie goal for the day just like any other food.
  • ExpectantHope
    ExpectantHope Posts: 60 Member
    Calories are calories, it doesn't matter if you're 300 calories over your goal in nuts or 300 calories over your goal in chocolate, it'll still prevent you losing weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I handle it by having a serving of nuts, not cup fulls of nuts. Also, going over your calorie goal is going to slow your rate of loss...weight control is all about energy (calorie) balance...the other stuff is nutrition. You can overeat nutritious foods and still gain weight.

If for example, your calorie goal included a 500 calorie per day deficit and you went over that by 300 calories with nuts then you would only be at a 200 calorie deficit and thus your 1 Lb per week rate of loss would now be less than 0.5 Lbs per week. It doesn't matter if the over consumption came from nuts or ice cream...that only matters where your nutritional quality is concerned, outside of nutrition, a calorie is a calorie...it's a unit of energy.