Newbie with 100+ lbs to lose

Options
Hello everyone! I'm new to this site and thought I would introduce myself hoping that maybe one of you is in my same situation.

Background: I'm 27, married, with a 12 yr old stepson. I do not ever remember being thin. From the time I was in kindegarten, I was wearing a youth XL. My weight has constantly decreased my self image which I've counterbalanced by making good grades my entire life and being an overachiever. My biggest weakness is "falling off the wagon" with weight loss. The most I've lost with any kind of diet program was 30 lbs last year with Weight Watchers (on my own-no meetings.) I want and need to lose over 100 lbs (currently I'm at 294 much to my horror.) My goal weight is 175; however, it seems like so far away that it doesn't take much to make me feel hopeless. I don't feel as if I overeat; however, the foods I eat are probably not the best for me. I guess I'm basically looking for encouragement, tips, etc. So, anyone else in the same boat?

~Tigergreeneyz

Replies

• bellastephania
    Options
    I have been in your situation, I have lost alot and gained over and over again. I understand how far it can be when you feel you have so much to lose but take it in baby steps and reward yourself when you hit mini goals that you have set. I have to relose 70lbs from the weight i lost and gained back so i too am setting mini goals because this time it seems to becoming off alot slower than before. One moment at a time is the way i take my days.
  • HollyAnne29
    Options
    I'm there, too! Can't ever remember being thin... I'm at 245, and I should be around 160! UGH!
    Want to be my buddy? We have a weight loss group at work, and that has seemed to help a little also.
    Good luck, friend!

Sincerely, Holly
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

You'll find there are tons of us in the same boat on here. This site is truly helpful and full of great tips and ideas to keep on track. I started at exactly the same weight about 3 months ago and have lost 27 pounds so far. I finally found the ability to focus on myself and get the weight off. I still have a long road ahead but I really feel like I can do it this time! I wish you best of luck and please feel free to ask anything you like, I'm very open. I'm off to friend you! LOL
  • akalei
    akalei Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi there.
    I have 100+ pounds to lose as well.
    You can friend me if you like.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I had 100lbs to lose when I started also, I have been on here since mid july and have lost 48lb. I too find it overwhelming to look at the big picture. I broke it down into 10 lb increments. I only concentrate on the next 10 lbs and for every 10lbs I lose I buy myself a new pair of earrings. I hope this helps
  • melmi20
    melmi20 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've got my paddle to start rowing because we're in the same boat!! Your story is almost identical to mine. I compensated for my obesity with being an overachiever too. Never knew how it was like to be of a normal size. I'm sending a friend request so we can buddy up and encourage each other. It is possible, you saw it last year and you will see it tenfolds this year. :-) You CAN do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have 100+ to lose too!! I have been working on my new lifestyle since November and I am proud to say that i have lost 21 pounds. I already feel better. I don't know what I can teach you.....If I knew everything....i wouldn't be in this boat!!! But I am here to help and encourage!!! You can add me if you would like!!!
  • LeslieAnn72
    LeslieAnn72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 80. I was never heavy as a kid, but have struggled with my weight my entire adult life. I had at one time lost 50 with the help of Weight Watcher meetings and Curves. Thought I could do it on my own and ended up gaining it all back.

Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. Set short goals, like 5 pound increments. It's not as overwhelming. good luck to you. If you want to add me, please do. We all need all the support we can get!

Leslie
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have been off and on that same wagon for 5 years! I just joined here yesterday and the support I have seen so far is beyond fabulous! Feel free to add me as a friend and we'll support each other along the way...

Even though it's hard to do most times, look at smaller goals for yourself. Maybe write down something you want to do to treat yourself after reaching a small goal. Put some sort of "teaser" in plain sight that you will see each day (maybe near your computer screen or as your wallpaper on the computer) so you'll make good choices and get your "treat". ;)

For example, I am thinking of making mine a manicure every 2 weeks if I've been a good girl! :)

Good luck!
  • Zumbalady808
    Options
    Hey there I'm your sucess story, I am you and I can help you get it done the right way!!! I lost 70 pounds in actually 7 months but stopped myself because it was just to fast for me and now I'm trying to lose the 12 pounds I put back on and lost 6 of it allready in a week and the the 39 pounds before March 16, 2011 which may never happen but its a huge goal and I'm bound and determined to try.

I was 265 a fat person all my life, from the time I can remember tried every diet lost 30 or 40 and put it back on.. Than I discovered Zumba, yes Zumba the newest dance craze. I went to the first class I was hooked, I couldn't follow all the steps but it was so fun and I knew I wanted more.

Well take a look, I'm the instructor now and wearing a size 12 and feeling wonderful, I want to hit 165 and will do it along with calorie counting and all.

Lets be friends, and go to ZUMBA.COM to find a class near you!!!
  • VeryKerri
    VeryKerri Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I started out with 181 to lose and have lost 80 so far leaving 101 to go. I am sending a friend request now!
    Good luck!!!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am definately in the same boat as you! We can do this!! :smile:
  • jemmajoy
    Options
    Oh yea! But you have all of us here for support!
  • mariaezdabomb
    Options
    I have been off and on on diets as well.. So I feel you.. I have been chunky most my life and when I had my son (9yrs ago) I took advantage of "eating for two" which made me gain a boatload of lbs. My goal is to TRY to lose 100+ lbs. This has been my second week here and Im loving it!! I have great supporters (fans-hehe) here that keep motivating me everyday. I am happy that I found this place!! If you need any help or motivation, dont hesitate to add me as a buddy. :) Good Luck on your journey and I KNOW you CAN DO IT!! :):)
  • crobertson1916
    Options
    I'm with you. I've been big all of my life. I could never do stuff that my "skinny friends" could do. I tried losing the weight, but I would always gain it back and then some. I weighed exactly 250 pounds when my second child was born. I'm now down to 173. You can do it. You have already made the first step, which is making the decision to change your life - for good (see my signature below). I'd love to be your buddy. I'm a newbie too!

God bless you!
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I read your post and it sounds just like me (minus kids). I also have a 100+ to lose, but decided to make a goal of 50 lbs in a year and then revisit the goal at that time. I found having a lofty goal as I have done in the past, it always made me want to quite before I really even got started. I have tried other plans and have had success but fall right back off the wagon. This time I know it's going to work and for good too! I am striving for 1 lbs per week which I think is wonderful and I still have a 2,000 calorie plan which doesn't even feel like a diet with the amount of good food you can eat.

I am trying for now to not consume my calories burned to give myself a higher deficit of calories in hopes it will help. Friend me as it will help me to be more accountable too and I will help encourage and support you.

Deb
  • nelliebugs
    Options
    You *have* to make small goals. Forget about the 100 pounds for now. Start with 5 pounds. Then another 5. And another 5. If that gets easy at any point, go with a 10 pound goal.

I know you've heard it hundreds of times, but you have to drink water! Even if you hate it, choke it down (I gag.. trust me.. I hate water lol). Drink 10 glasses of water a day.

FIBER. You need fiber. Take a supplement or load up on high fiber foods.. put flax seed in some of your meals.

Movement. Walk. Get up and move. Lots of DVD options, or if you have good weather then walk half a mile from your house. You have no choice but to walk the other half a mile back. Increase to a mile once that gets easy.

There are lots of great work outs you can do at home without fancy equipment. If you have a wii, it's an invaluable resource! :) If not, use water bottles and use them as weights until you can move up to heavier ones.

I've also found that having a text buddy has helped a LOT. I just started my journey a little over a week ago and have lost 6lbs. When I feel like pigging out, I text one of my weight loss buddies. They talk me out of it! They tell me how many laps I'd have to run to burn it all off LOL and it makes me change my mind. :)

Basically, if you stay under your calories (MFP will help with tracking them), and you MOVE, you WILL lose weight. Good luck!!
  • staci_metzger
    staci_metzger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I joined this group on here for people who need to lose more than 100 pounds and I have to say I have done better this week. It's nice to have a group of people in the same spot as you and each day of the week is a different "accountability" topic. Today's is Thursday Truth and yesterday was Wednesday Wish, you kind of get the picture. I find it keeps me motivated for the day knowing that I have gotten something off my chest and have contributed to the group. The feedback and the motivation from others is great, even if it's not directed towards you! You have made a great decision joining this site. If you want you can friend me and the name of the group is 'need to lose 100 lbs. or more? Lets start a group!' I hope to see you there!
  • CMSV010277
    Options
    Hi!!

I am in the same situation as you! I am 25 years old and I have about 140 pounds to lose. It seems very intimidating to me, but I know we can do it!!! :smile: Good luck! Friend me if you want :) We can help each other.
  • majikal6
    Options
    Hello,

Nice to meet you, fellow boat passenger. I have close to the same amount of weight to loose and my target is 180lbs.

I could fall off the wagon fairly easily as well however, I always try to remember how difficult it is to climb back on. :) Literally, I think about that for a moment in real physical terms. My wagon is trucking along marvelously however, I'm not fully engaged and I tumble off, now I have to try hauling myself back on, it's tough and not to mention I'd probably look ridiculous. :) Kinda, motivates me to hold the rail of my wagon real tight. I've not dieted before and I'm not dieting now, I eat more than ever, I'm eating differently and the biggest help has been measuring everything I eat, I'm a measuring fiend.

Self image can definitely take a hit however, rather than seeing what I dislike, I see what I like and build on that. See yourself as you want to be or intend to be. As for the goal, it is far away, however not as far away as we think. I realize it'll be about a year to get to where I want to be, but really, what's one more year. I've been living like this for many years, I can't be impatient now, one more year but loosing weight is really not that bad.

I wish you great success in your endeavour and trust that when feeling down, you'll be more than capable of reaching deep down inside to that hidden fountain of strength and inspiration within and fend off your internal and external for that matter, nay-sayers. Whether you think you can or can't...you're right. It's all a state of mind.