What new things have you tried since losing weight?

Options

Replies

• rednose83
    rednose83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My husband and I wanted to go parasailing together. Combined, we were too heavy (by a lot). Glad to say that in Dec 2013, we went parasailing in Grand Turk and were well under the weight limit.
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Wearing shorts! :bigsmile: Now... I can't imagine wearing jeans during the summer!!

Same! I can't believe I used to wear jeans in 95 degree weather.
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Trampoline park!
  • SuraAsaria
    Options
    Do you rrrrrrrealy want to know?:tongue:

^^^ :blushing: :laugh: :drinker: :blushing: :bigsmile:

We will scar the poor children on here (who are not supposed to be here) for life!

hahahaha
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, people.
    I've never been into sports/physical activities (which may be part of the reason I need to lose all this weight!), so the idea of being "able" to do many of those things really doesn't have much appeal to me. Have any of you had the same experience?
    I think it will be nice to be able to not shop in the "fat people clothing store", as I always call it. Will be nice to feel less lethargic, too...

I have found that I actually enjoy those activities for which I had no enthusiasm before - you may well find activities which you love
  • Faemusic
    Faemusic Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks, mart. That give sme a little more hope. I always see everyone who's lost weight saying "I love zumba/running/biking/rock climbing now!" And I'm like, "Ugh, my favorite activities are sitting and doing artwork and maybe taking a walk." Good to think that things can change even if I don't quite expect them to, though!
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I take my shirt off if its hot and I'm wearing a sports bra underneath. It seems to make some people uncomfortable but its really liberating so I don't think I'll stop. I was always jealous before of girls that could go to the park and jog in their bras. I hate jogging but I go to the park and dress like a jogger now haha.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    So Many things :) At my heaviest I could barely walk I had a few things on my list I wanted to do and now have :)
    - Join a softball league
    -Run a 5K
    - Ride a rollercoaster again
    - Not need the seat belt extender on an airplane
    -Joined crossfit <-- something I never imagined I could do.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    1. I bought a bikini! I don't know if I'll wear it in public (I have a pool in my backyard) - but it's a step in the right direction!
    2. I started running last August. I've completed a few 5k races including a few fun ones Zombie run, mud hero, run or dye and some serious ones. I've also been able to run 10 km without stopping - I couldn't even run 30 seconds when I started! Now I can run for 1 hour!
    3. I probably walk differently - more self confidence
    4. I take a selfie almost everyday - Good luck finding many pictures of myself from before!
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks, mart. That give sme a little more hope. I always see everyone who's lost weight saying "I love zumba/running/biking/rock climbing now!" And I'm like, "Ugh, my favorite activities are sitting and doing artwork and maybe taking a walk." Good to think that things can change even if I don't quite expect them to, though!

I rolled down a hill several times last Saturday because a sweet little five year old asked me to. Five months ago I would have found several reasons why I just couldn't do it. There's a good chance she'll have me going down a slide the next time we're at the park.

As for me, I signed up for bartending school and will be doing the hours to get certified in August.
  • amielou42
    amielou42 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    - Shopping without disappointment: knowing that the jeans will fit me before trying them on!
    - Going out of the house not caring what I look like because I FEEL GOOD!
    - Putting on a swimsuit and going swimming
    - Wearing SHORTTTSSS!!!
    - Running 2 5km races last year and going for countless 5km runs
    - Hitting 9km in an hour! My goal is 10km in an hour in October
    - Buying a maxi skirt!
    - Going for a crossfit class knowing that I'd be able to handle it
    - Doing crazy stuff on a bungee at my crossfit class and not shying away from it

And other countless things. Being slimmer has made me feel so much better!!
    You guys are all amazing!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Trampoline park. The best.
  • amielou42
    amielou42 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Fae, I was also an avid sports hater my whole life! I always found excuses to not do sports when I could. I even once claimed that I had a "frozen toe" (from the cold weather).... NOT true. Stupid excuse, but I wanted out! I hated my body and hated the way I felt- shy, totally not confident and so, SO conscious of how others viewed me.

But then I had a baby, after I moved from Canada to the Netherlands. During my pregnancy, which was just after our move, I sat on the couch and ATE. Ate, ate, ate ALL day. Cookies, chips, everything. I'd make excuses "I can handle it", "no one will notice", "It will fall off after I give birth" etc., etc., etc. About 2 months after I gave birth I tried on my old clothes, and they didn't even fit. I was totally gutted and couldn't find clothes for me except in the biggest size available. Thank God that at the time, I didn't have a mirror in our house (still adjusting from the move, hadn't finished the house yet). Then one day I heard about the 30 day shred. 20 minutes, every day, can't be hard, right?

WRONG. Oh, my, word. It was TOUGH. My body jiggled when I jumped. My thighs slapped together, I peed myself (unfortunate side effect of birth), I sweat, I hurt, I cried like a little girl at elementary school (which happened a lot). But the weight started coming off, kilo by kilo. Then I started eating healthier, working out easier, enjoying the 20 minutes I did 4-5 times a week.

Then my crazy day happened: I wanted to jog. I had to take the baby to the clinic for a checkup and I didn't want to walk all the way there (about 30 minute walk for me at that time), I couldn't bike with the babe yet (normal here in Holland!) so I thought, let's RUN. People looked at me running with a stroller like I was a mad woman (totally normal sight in Vancouver...here in NL people don't like things that aren't in their comfort zones). I started to like it! I started RUNNING. Now, anyone that knows me for a long time knows that me and running are like the two most opposite things ever!!!! Then one day, after all this workout out at home with DVDs and running, I hit 5km in 35 minutes without stopping. I had also hit 13kg of lost weight. I was on a freaking roll. It's not stopped since....except a short period of personal difficulty, but even then, I was still someone who finally ENJOYED sports!!! Unreal!!!

So, what I'm trying to say is that you might not like sports now, but I bet there is something out there that you could learn to love. It might be really hard at first, but the buzz you get is really better than some other awesome things out there. And the buzz you get when feeling muscles get tighter and bigger is also really awesome.

I hope this is encouraging. You can truly do it. Even if you don't believe it, I do.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    The post above is great!

And I agree... for me it's somehow clicking. I don't remember teaching myself to like exercise but I'm feeling it now. I'm excited to try it! Didn't even start doing exercise to get to this point. Very strange. Very motivated. Maybe it will happen to you too! It didn't happen for me until I'd lost almost all the weight.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    where do i start? my top 5 would probably be...

- took my shirt off at the beach for the first time in about 25 years last summer.
    - amusement park/ carnival rides
    - hot yoga
    - hiking
    - spin class
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I play a team sport for the first time in my life.
  • impromark
    impromark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm an actor. Doing a scene on stage shirtless, and NOT feeling self-conscious about it, was very liberating.

Mark
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I would only ever wear dresses for special occasions because my thighs were so large they would rub together and hurt. I now wear cute summer dresses all the time.

I used to always have to wear shorts as a bathing suit cover up due to the same reason mentioned above with the dresses, now I can wear any type of cover up I want.

I also no longer worry about whether I will fit in an airplane seat. Before I lost weight I was probably half an inch away from needing a seatbelt extender (which I never ever wanted to have to do). Now I don't worry, I fit great in the seat, with room on each side!

Things I never wanted to do or thought I would do would be running or any form of exercise. I now work out six days a week, two of those days with a personal trainer and the other four I run. I finished my first 5k ever in March and have now signed up for a 10k in November.

One other thing, I used to hate the summer time and the heat, I would die from the heat. Now I love being outdoors in the summer.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I put on a wetsuit for the first time, even better, it was 2 sizes smaller than the clothing I had worn. Yep, it was tight fitting but it was sort of like wearing Spanx. LOL I needed it for protection from the cold water I was snorkeling in.

I had worried and stressed they wouldn't have one that would fit or I'd look ridiculous in it. Not at all! I had my hubby take a photo for proof. :laugh: It felt freakin' awesome!
  • fatninja111
    fatninja111 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Walking is how I started, so just because people might not be as vocal about how awesome it is, don't let that discourage you. I am not an expert, but I think it is a great workout. I bought a bike in April and have loved, loved riding it. I don't do anything crazy as far as miles or speed. Honestly, I don't know if it has helped that much as far as weight loss because I haven't lost any pounds according to the scale, but I can actually "see" the muscles in my legs now. And that feels AWESOME! Shopping for clothes is now not so depressing. Before I just bought stuff when I had to for work, now I actually want to buy things that might look a little better.
    The biggest thing for me really has been the change in my mind. It is extremely hard to describe but just losing the 50 pounds that I have (goal is about 30 pounds more) has led to an extreme jolt in self confidence. I have bad days where I get scared that I am going to just give in and gain everything back but they pass and I recover. Now, instead of "I wonder if I can do this" I am constantly thinking "I wonder WHEN I WILL accomplish this". I can assure you that last year I was not thinking this way. You are trying. That is a great start. Hang in there and don't give up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!