What is the deal with carbs?

Options

Replies

• warmbananas
    warmbananas Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You want to get your protein if you are working out. Use this calculator: http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/protein-calculator/
    Once you meet that protein level, you can split the rest of the calories between carb and fat.

This calculater says I should eat much more protein than allowed on MFP. I really have a lot to learn. But all the comments are helpful.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    Carbs are not bad. No food is bad. Just don't eat a lot of it :D
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Like others said its about the balance, if all you eat is chips and crackers for your calories then yes...no bueno, but if its mixed in then I wouldnt worry.

Just about EVERYTHING except for pure proteins (cheese, eggs, meats) have carbs and I'm almost always over on mine and I generally eat very little processed foods so i wouldnt worry too much.

PS I would rather exercise and have the gummy bears and fruit then the subway sandwich lol.
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What's the deal with carbs? They're delicious!

But seriously, eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. I love carbs, I am always "over" on them (but NEVER over calories) and, well, if you look at my ticker, it's not really been a problem.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Carbs are just a macro-nutrient...that's it. They provide for awesome energy.

The only thing I'd suggest is that if you're routinely going over MfP's carb goals then your diet probably lacks balance...balanced nutrition is important to your overall health.
  • deatharrow
    deatharrow Posts: 10
    Options
    Mostly what matters in your weight loss is to eat at your calorie limit and first and foremost, ensure you have gotten enough protein. Make sure you've reached your goal for protein as this will ensure you don't lose lean muscle mass while cutting and help build muscle (hard to do while cutting but still possible). After reaching your protein level, which is most important, then make sure you get the rest of your calories are 20-30% from fat because this is necessary for health reasons.
    More fat, or more carbs, or more protein will not hinder weight loss as long as it is within your calorie limit. After reaching your protein levels, the ratios for carbs and fats are not made necessarily for weight loss reasons but more for Health reasons. If you eat a lot of carbs, that will in no way hinder weight loss. Just mAke sure you get enough protein and getting enough fat, if carbs are getting in the way of reaching those then you need to adjust your diet to less carbs, yes.

All in all, just worry about protein and staying within calorie limit. Carbs won't make you any fatter than eating more protein or fat. The concern is for health though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The app says I'm ingesting too many carbs (way too many). If I work out 45 minutes medium intensity (Zumba or something). Could I still lose weight?

Yes, assuming you are eating in a way that allows you to stick to your calorie deficit (included in your MFP goal) what you eat and the particular macro breakdown won't matter more than a tiny bit unless you have some sort of medical issue, as others have mentioned.

And remember that if you work out you get more calories, and that increases the amount of carbs MFP gives you.

Also, there's nothing magic about the particular macro ratio that MFP gives you--it's within the recommended ratios for a healthy, balanced diet, but there's plenty of flexibility and lots of other ratios would also be within that range.

All that said, if you are interested in health it doesn't hurt to pay some attention to the macros and especially to getting enough protein (lots of people think the MFP goals are low, certainly if you are adhering to the 1200 calorie goal that so many people get), not being afraid of fat, and eating a decent amount of fruits and, especially, vegetables, which are carbs, but relatively low calorie ones and are unlikely to be a significant cause of people being way over. There's absolutely no need to eat low carb to lose weight, but the MFP goal is not a low carb one at all--it's 50% of calories from carbs. No harm in being around 60% instead if that's how you prefer to eat, but when you suggest that it's just fruit, some gummi bears, and a vegetarian subway sandwich that cause you to be way over, there's a disconnect there.

But anyway, I agree that there's no need to be low carb, that you can thoughtfully decide that higher carb percentages than MFP recommends are best for you, and that working on your diet is more about health than losing weight and that it definitely is something that can come over time even for those interested in working on it.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Of course you can still lose weight! Just make sure you define what carbs means to you. To me, carbs are fruit, veggies, and grains (pasta, rice, quinoa, etc.) and I go crazy on those! I personally would not stick to the recommended about of carbs they give you because then you can't get in enough fruits and veggies. So just keep trucking on :smile:
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Most people using mfp are trying to lose weight/get healthy for a variety of reasons. Me, I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, just over the line so diet and exercise are the only rx for me. I am working with a nutritionist who advocates carb counting and it is not just for weight loss, it is so my body doesn't experience spikes or sudden decreases in blood sugar. My total carbs per day is limited to 165. 45 breakfast - 15 snack - 45 lunch - 15 snack - 45 dinner. Its not that hard to do. The general consensus on the board might disfavor carb counting but for me maintaining my blood sugar level is just as important as losing weight. I was a big carb lover but a week after starting I feel so much better. Decreasing carbs gives me more energy, not less.
  • gweatherall1104
    gweatherall1104 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eating ultra-low carb (ketogenic diet) is only really necessary if you are not going to work out. It will accelerate the weight-loss if coupled with exercise, but will most likely leave you extremely hungry all the time. Either focus on eating a calorie deficit every day and exercising, or staying under 20g of carbs with no exercise, and you'll see the pounds come off.
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I base my carb intake on my activity level.
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    Hello

Dances with Wow...or Dances w Carbs..

Yikes..What I am about ay will ruffle feathers big time..The carb question is easy its the interpretation on 100% of all the theoretcial issue of calories thats misplaced..and disjointed..

Carbs there are only three types.. Fiberous, Low density, and high density..

fiberous being the most beneficial does right by 95% of the population with out metabolic, intestinal, and digestive sensitivity..Every culture has fiberous carbs indicative to the area of where it is readily available..

Low density carbs are the ones with double digit sugars.... these carbs including fruit impact a hormone very few peopel will acknowledge is lipolytic enzymes.... This enzyme is the only hormone agent in the body that can communicate with, translate for and give the command for unwanted body fat to stand down..

If double digit sugars from low density carb sources, even fruit, over saturates the blood stream...body fat weaponizes and locks down all the gates, doors, windows and any physical conditioning over ride you try to barbarically through at it. No stupid human fitness tricks calorie counting or nutrient manipulation to boot is going to penetrate the well armed! well fortified system! that protects your entire metabolic ecosystem.. NONE!

If you have lost weight on a calorie deficit system its because you inadvertently stumbled across the metabolic master key Mother nature has forged.for your unique physio-type and thats your bodies exact protein number (Pn#).- uyour baseline biometric of your metabolic need.

..Once you have this baseline biometric to work with..much like the dash board of word press program access to the management area is granted..this access allows you to nutrient adjust via carbs fats or proteins, the number of double digit sugars/carbs and the thresholds which trigger them to freeze all operations that comprise your metabolic bank account..

You can eat as much low density carbs.. ice cream, candy corn, and apples bananas as you want as long as you do not come near that double digit sugar threshold..

The same goes for High density carbs.. you know the carbs Im talking about..foods with gluten,, the carbs that work well with fat, the carbs that have all the starch, the carbs that work well with simple low density foods like honey and jellys . THOSE CARBS..honey is a carb and is considered quote "healthy", but it can send the signal to weaponize.. shields on fat production full power.

Not only do these carbs give you energy to workout; just like the fiberous carbs do, but they also and at the same time WEAKEN the secretion, the potency, and release of lipolytic enzymes.. This weakening weaponizes unwanted body fat.. Thats why Gluten-free - (gluten is a sugar molecule) has become so popular because people truly believe think and swear that its a calorie thing or an allergic sensitivity thing.. But what is really at stake is a hormone that sees these carbs as double digit sugars..> this triggers are beta blocking and sending the message toraise the food energy shield and begin fat making

The body signals the force field to turn on.

.Its not until the right protein amount recalibrates the system, assesses the ph+ of blood plasma levels that access to metabolism is permitted to operate without the protocol..going forward..

Calories in and Calories out are the mis-interpreptation of a very evolved mechanism..of physio-morphic protection..Galileo said the earth revolves around the sun..Im saying unwanted body fat revolves around teaching your body to better regulate lipolytic enzymes..with carbs.

The great thing about what im saying is it doesnt take 6 weeks 8 weeks or 12 weeks of workous or a life time of dieting to determine what I am saying is hearsay.. it takes just 72 hours..

No fear, no doubt, no disbelief comes of it because its self proving. what Ive just explained does not blame you for being undisciplined, unmotivated or having zero will power..like calories in and calories out does..

What I laid out builds life force which offers an individualized learning relationship with your body that doesnt force you to become a slave to the process.

...- you may not want to believe it, just like the primitives back in the days of Galileo.or Neo in the Matrix... until he took the red Pill All Im offering is the truth..nothing more..

But the bottom line is calories in/out ie carb counting only works well when the body already possess a comfortable one to one 1:1 relationship with its protein number..number(Pn#) and/or its replenishment index (Rpndx%)

And 99.9 % of diet, calorie, and fitness disciples do not have any idea what this is or why it is anchored to survival and not the way they believe or have been taught to believe it should be.

My name is Dances with Wow

and I not only help you achieve a learning relationship with your body , I provide powerful self test tools for achieving indomitable life force.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I not only achieve a learning relationship with your body differently, I help you achieve indomitable life force.

In! Where do I sign up?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I not only achieve a learning relationship with your body differently, I help you achieve indomitable life force.

In! Where do I sign up?

I don't know you but please be careful! There is a lot of sensual power in him, I can feel it from here.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

In! Where do I sign up?

I don't know you but please be careful! There is a lot of sensual power in him, I can feel it from here.
    well now, that is impressive.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options

In! Where do I sign up?

I'm a scared! And not just of carbs. :noway:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    50% of my diet comes from carbs. I had no problem losing weight.

Also, if no one else has mentioned it, you can customize your settings under the goals tab.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

In! Where do I sign up?

I'm a scared! And not just of carbs. :noway:

The lessons he teaches cannot be unlearned.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    What is the deal with carbs................I keep hearing a Jerry Seinfeld voice when reading this thread title