Clean Eating and Lifestyle - Need Some Feedback

Options
jjulliee
jjulliee Posts: 40 Member
Hi, first, this might seem like an odd topic on a site where there are lots of questions about how to start and continue losing weight. Believe me, I never thought I'd be worried or sad about losing weight. But, if anyone has an experience similar to mine, I'd love to hear it. And, I'd love to share things that might help others in their journey.

in January 2012, I started power-walking, then re-tooled how I eat, and I guess you could call it clean eating, although I'm not as strict as some. I don't eat artificial sweeteners, foods with high-fructose corn syrup, sodas, artificial flavors/colors/preservatives. I don't eat fast food anymore, and I avoid processed foods. I also limit carbs, white sugar, saturated fats, and meats. I follow serving sizes and try to stay around 2000 calories a day. In addition to power-walking approximately 9-10 miles per week, I do free weights for my arms.

So, between January 2012 and about May 2013, I lost 50 lbs. So easily it is still almost incredible to me. I haven't had heartburn for about 2 years, and I rarely have the unexplained cravings I used to cave in to all the time. I feel happy and healthy, and never feel like I'm missing out on things. Still eat baked goods and ice cream on occasion.

I did this for my health as a preventive measure, having borderline cholesterol and wanting to be healthy as I age. I feel like my weight loss has been drastic, and now I get comments from people insinuating that I don't eat enough, and even outright jokes about starving myself. I am actually very committed to eating breakfast, lunch, dinner, and 1-2 snacks per day. But, almost everything I put in my body is nutritious and not junk.

I've tried to do some research to see if this really is normal, that if you eat right and exercise, you will be like this, and it does seem like this is the way to go, but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this? I am still always scared I'm sick or something, even though bloodwork, etc. is fine. I am a 5'8 woman, and currently my weight is 120 lbs.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success.
  • jjulliee
    Options
    Thank you!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I feel like this kind of correlation/causation question, and I'm not sure without a lot of data there can be a clear answer.

So during the time you were keeping your calories around 2000 with your new diet, power walking, and doing free weights, you lost 50 lbs (great job btw). The choice of foods, calorie restriction, and exercise can all be correlated with your weight loss. We know a calorie deficit leads to weight loss, so there's one cause, but whether your diet caused the weight loss or merely improved your adherence to weight loss - who knows. People eat all kinds of food and still lose weight.

As for health markers, did they improve because of the food you are eating, or because you lost 50 lbs? There's a correlation, but we don't have enough data to determine which was the cause.

Feeling full, energized, and happy - is it because of the specific foods you are eating, or has eating style changed where you've altered your macronutrient ratios to what your body finds optimal? Again, correlation for both, but can't determine causation.

The bottom line is that you've found foods that you enjoy, and exercise program you like, and you feel good. You height and weight indicate a BMI of 18.2, which is just under a normal weight. Since you say that you are concerned that your weight loss isn't normal or that you are sick, here's my recommendation: Go to your doctor and talk to them about your situation. Track your food intake through MFP, weighing and measuring everything, to see how many calories you are really getting per day and to make sure you are getting all your macronutrients and micronutrients. You may find that you've been eating less than you think, and need to increase your calories a bit to hit all your macros/micros.

Calculate your TDEE to find out how many calories you need to eat per day for your activity level. You might also want to look into having your body fat % calculated, as weight loss also involves some muscle loss, especially since you weren't doing a lot of weight training. If you feel you've gotten "too thin" then you can always do a body recomp and put on some muscle. But if you are getting enough calories, hitting your macros and micros, your body fat % is ok, and you're happy with how you look and feel, then don't worry about what other people say. If you're eating at maintenance and still see the scale going down, then absolutely go to the doctor and make sure something else isn't going on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    120lbs is fairly low given your height, but I don't think losing 50lb in over a year is too quick. If you're happy and feel healthy then I wouldn't worry about what other people think.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't think you lost too quickly.

I think it's great that you've made so many smart changes to your diet and lifestyle! I made many of the same changes and also found it fairly easy to lose, without counting.

That said, you should probably stop losing now, as you're getting underweight. You really need to figure out how to eat right for maintenance. Maybe it's as simple as adding more full fat foods, more nuts, seeds, coconut oil.... or maybe you need to consciously COUNT your way up to maintenance eating. Only you know what you need to do.

Aim for a weight that's a bit higher (like 130) and then adjust your eating as needed.

Again, congrats on the great changes you've made so far.
  • jjulliee
    Options
    I feel like this kind of correlation/causation question, and I'm not sure without a lot of data there can be a clear answer.

So during the time you were keeping your calories around 2000 with your new diet, power walking, and doing free weights, you lost 50 lbs (great job btw). The choice of foods, calorie restriction, and exercise can all be correlated with your weight loss. We know a calorie deficit leads to weight loss, so there's one cause, but whether your diet caused the weight loss or merely improved your adherence to weight loss - who knows. People eat all kinds of food and still lose weight.

As for health markers, did they improve because of the food you are eating, or because you lost 50 lbs? There's a correlation, but we don't have enough data to determine which was the cause.

Feeling full, energized, and happy - is it because of the specific foods you are eating, or has eating style changed where you've altered your macronutrient ratios to what your body finds optimal? Again, correlation for both, but can't determine causation.

The bottom line is that you've found foods that you enjoy, and exercise program you like, and you feel good. You height and weight indicate a BMI of 18.2, which is just under a normal weight. Since you say that you are concerned that your weight loss isn't normal or that you are sick, here's my recommendation: Go to your doctor and talk to them about your situation. Track your food intake through MFP, weighing and measuring everything, to see how many calories you are really getting per day and to make sure you are getting all your macronutrients and micronutrients. You may find that you've been eating less than you think, and need to increase your calories a bit to hit all your macros/micros.

Calculate your TDEE to find out how many calories you need to eat per day for your activity level. You might also want to look into having your body fat % calculated, as weight loss also involves some muscle loss, especially since you weren't doing a lot of weight training. If you feel you've gotten "too thin" then you can always do a body recomp and put on some muscle. But if you are getting enough calories, hitting your macros and micros, your body fat % is ok, and you're happy with how you look and feel, then don't worry about what other people say. If you're eating at maintenance and still see the scale going down, then absolutely go to the doctor and make sure something else isn't going on.

Thank you; that is good advice. I have had bloodwork done and am getting some screenings, due to family history (another reason I've made these changes). I didn't have any weight loss goals when I started and didn't hear about "clean eating" until the last year or so, so I was curious to see if others had similar experiences. Thanks again!
  • jjulliee
    Options
    120lbs is fairly low given your height, but I don't think losing 50lb in over a year is too quick. If you're happy and feel healthy then I wouldn't worry about what other people think.

Thank you; I don't really worry, but when unsolicited and unwanted observations and questions arise, it can be irksome.
  • jjulliee
    Options
    I don't think you lost too quickly.

I think it's great that you've made so many smart changes to your diet and lifestyle! I made many of the same changes and also found it fairly easy to lose, without counting.

That said, you should probably stop losing now, as you're getting underweight. You really need to figure out how to eat right for maintenance. Maybe it's as simple as adding more full fat foods, more nuts, seeds, coconut oil.... or maybe you need to consciously COUNT your way up to maintenance eating. Only you know what you need to do.

Aim for a weight that's a bit higher (like 130) and then adjust your eating as needed.

Again, congrats on the great changes you've made so far.

Congratulations!! And thanks. Yes, I didn't start out with any type of weight loss goals, only health. I haven't been trying to lose, but I don't want to gain much, since I've had to replace all of my clothes, and my husband will divorce me if I have to re-stock again!

I eat nuts daily, and I eat eggs (with yolks), full fat cheeses, real butter, and half-and-half :). And chocolate. I've been adding more calories, so we will see. Thank you!