Started at 420 down to 360 needing that extra push

Options
So I am a 23 year old male I am 6'2". For a little back ground at the age of 13 I weighed about 400 pounds and did a unhealthy diet and dropped down to 150 by 14.5. I bulked up to 210 and maintained that weight all through high school through football. During My senior year I injured my neck and from there on it was down hill next thing I knew I was 20 years old and 410 pounds. I bounced between 410 and 420 for the next 3 years.

I started working out the first few days of march, so i has been 3 months, and have already lost 60 pounds. I spend at least an hour and a half 4 days a week lifting weights and around 2 hours 6 days a week in the pool with about an hour of that straight swimming and the other hour like jumping around playing around with my nephews and a football or volleyball. I can't walk/jog how I want yet due to a partially torn MCL/Meniscus

Last 2 weeks I have hit a bit of a wall. Weight lifting I do without issue because I enjoy it. But suddenly I find myself eating/snacking on foods i shouldn't be eating before i ever realize it. And when it comes time to go swim it has become like I have to drag myself out there. the last 2 weeks my weight has maintained pretty Idol. No one in my family (even though most can use it) have no will to do my goal with it so my support is pretty much minimal besides a few I'm proud you are trying or you are doing goods. And I feel that is part of my problem.

In the end i need to find that slight extra push to reassure myself but idk what will do it yet.

Replies

• Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Dude, seriously... take a step back. You've done some amazing things all on your own. Congrats!
    As far has "hitting a wall", you'll be hard pressed to find someone on here who hasn't had the same problem at one point or another. So a couple of things that have helped me:
    1. I keep things interesting. If I start to get board with a workout, I do something new :) Also, switching things up might jump start your weight loss again.
    2. Get the junk out of your house (if you can). For me, if it's in the house, I'll eat it. So trash it so you don't have to worry about the snacking so much :)
    3. Finally, surround yourself with support... which it sounds like you're trying to do. There are people here (me included if you want to add me as a friend) and other social media support groups (I'm a part of several on FB). When you can't get it from your family and friends, you have to find additional friends who can give you the support and accountability you need.
    Again, congrats on what you've done so far... and best wishes in the future!
  • Randy2191
    Randy2191 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you, When it comes to this kind of thing i become a little to anal over it. I feel kinda like I went to sleep at 210 and woke up 420 and became in panic mode to not be like that no more i still feel so unhealthy. I was so excited when i realized i was at 360 and realized what i had done. Just sent me back to panic mode when i realized well i was stuck there.
  • BeckyBooSp101
    Options
    I could use extra encouragement too, feel free to add me.
  • Randy2191
    Options
    okay beckyboosp101, I will.
  • Randy2191
    Options
    bump
  • sea_dog
    sea_dog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Randy,

Awesome progress so far, you are working hard!

I am interested in swimming as well, what kind of swimming do you do? Freestyle (crawl)? I can't seem to get the breathing rythm down so I don't get winded or die. I thought about taking lessons, they have swimming for excercise lessons at the local YMCA, but then I watched some guys just do the breath stroke the whole time.... I assumed that if I stuck with it I would eventually learn it, but I am afraid of getting hurt if I do it wrong. Just wondering how you got into it and what you do.

Good luck,

Mike (SD)

Oh, I stareted at 293 last month, I am at 280, and my goal is 169. I am 5'10" at 346 yrs old. I am trying to lose one pound a week. I'm an under acheiver :).
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great job!! There's lots of encouragement here!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Pst...

From reading your post the main thing I want to say is that you do NOT have to be perfect for this to work.

You do not have to eliminate "bad" foods.

You have to have a calorie deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • gallogly1
    gallogly1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats, that's awesome! You've done a lot. I'm not a psychologist, but is it possible you have something on your mind? Are you worried about something or do you need to do something that you are putting off? If so, maybe you'll get back on track once you've dealt with it. Good luck. Really admire someone who can be that focused and also reach out for help.
  • Randy2191
    Options
    Mike,
    The swimming I do is about consist of slow laps around the pool (I can't swim very fast) followed by playing in the pool with my nephews where we will play with a football or a volleyball.

Tawny,
    Thank you.
  • Randy2191
    Options
    cranquistador,
    Calories are not my problem as I eat as well as burn around 2000 calories a day give or take. I do realize I have a issue with sugary drinks due to needing to stay awake with lack of sleep sometimes.(Energy Drinks)

Gallogly1,
    Possibly I have been going through the final 2 weeks(Finals) of the nursing program I was attending, I graduated on Saturday so hopefully that was the issue and things will get back on track!
  • Smokey705
    Smokey705 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    . I do realize I have a issue with sugary drinks due to needing to stay awake with lack of sleep sometimes.(Energy Drinks)

In my opinion sugary drinks are what your problem is right now. You need to quit drinking calories and change your diet so you don't need them. Quiting sugary drinks is the first thing I did to lose weight, I didn't even diet really for the first month as I was so addicted to pepsi and Gatorade. Since I haven't drank a single soda or sports drink. Even when I go on crazy 3 hour bike rides I only drink water and love it. I really, really love water now and as far back as I can remember I only liked to drink soda, juice or other sugary drinks. Its crazy but 6 months ago I used to like 2 sugars in my coffee, now when I have a coffee it is barley 1/2 a teaspoon and not because im trying to cut back but because it is too sweet now. I also sleep a lot better now I have my diet in check with all the processed sugar removed.

You will also find the more weight you lose the harder it seems to become. But you just need to keep going. And if you have a bad day enjoy it, and try to do better the next couple of days. Also after you fix your diet don't worry about the scale too much, go by measurments as sometimes your body holds on to ridiculous amounts of water that can trick your brain into thinking all kinds of things.

Last thing I can suggest is try cycling. Hands down the best exercise for overweight people in my opinion. check this link this in one I read months ago

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/i-lost-320-pounds-riding-bike

Also you should really unlock your diary. Hard to just take you word that your diet is great and it serves no purpose keeping it hidden exspecially when you are asking for advice. If you are ashamed at it then you should realize that maybe that is the part of the problem. We are mostly all just fat people trying to get healthy here, and you shouldn't care what anybody thinks of your efforts as you are never going to see any of these people in real life.

Good luck, and don't quit till you get there.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Congrats on how far you have come already :) I agree with the sugary drinks. That was one of the first things I changed in my eating habits. No drinks above 20-25 calories per a serving :) I stick to water, unsweet tea, lifewater etc. :) That saved those extra calories so when I wanted to snack I could :) I also found splitting my meals into smaller ones and more often helped me a lot at my heaviest. I would have 2 breakfasts 2 hours apart 2 lunches 2 dinners :) They were just half sizes within my calorie limits and it helped me feel satisfied and not really have the urge to snack :) I hit a 4 month wall myself at the start of 2014 so I know how hard it can be but keep going do not give up. If you are eating the right amount of calories and exercising it will pick back up :)
  • Randy2191
    Options
    Smokey705,
    I do not know how to "Unlock my diary" nor what that is. My diet is currently no where near "good" as most the time I am in a hurry being a full-time student and a full-time worker sometimes I am lucky to get 2 hours of breaks through the day and 4-5 hours o sleep outside of my daily schedule and exercise. My calories stay below 2300 but I don't eat much throughout day (no time). I need to find a way to stay awake in class without the Sugar and calories. As far as cycling I can't do that until my knee recovers (Partiall torn MCL and Meniscus) so I am stuck at swimming for right now unless i find a flat area for short walks.
  • Randy2191
    Options
    Thank you Cerakoala,
    I do plan to try and find a lower calorie drink that will work. As far as water I drink 9-11 bottles a day. Though I am now partially curious if my problem is my food not going continuous through out day.. its more in 2 or 3 chunks.
  • Cerakoala
    Options
    Thank you Cerakoala,
    I do plan to try and find a lower calorie drink that will work. As far as water I drink 9-11 bottles a day. Though I am now partially curious if my problem is my food not going continuous through out day.. its more in 2 or 3 chunks.

You just have to find what works for you :) Some people prefer 3 meals thats it no snack etc. Other people dont :) Maybe give it a try see if it helps eat more often just smaller portions :)
  • Randy2191
    Options
    cerakoala,
    Well here is a example of my eating habits last 2 days ( I know unhealthy)
    Day 1: Breakfast sausage stick on way out door, lunch fiber one protein bar & Rockstar, Dinner some hamburger helper. Snacks some string cheese.
    Day 2: Breakfast peanut butter sandwich, 2 rockstars through ATI prep, Snack fiber one protein bar, Early dinner : Pastrami sandwich with a soda.

Like I said overall not high in calories but not "Healthy" eating either but maintained under calories both day
  • Randy2191
    Options
    work out routine
    I started slowly and am trying to add a new weight exercise a week. Right now my routine is consisting of day 1 - Bench Press close and wide, Incline Press, Curls, Tricep pull downs with bar and rope, shoulder seated pull downs, Shrugs & swim. day 2 - squats and the bend to the side with weights & swim. Day 3 - I swim day 4 - I light swim/rest and then repeat. and then there are a few days where I will have a missed day from being busy at school or something and will just continue the next day with what i would have done that day. (where it says swim its anywhere from 90 minutes to 4 hours depending on how much time I have)
  • Cerakoala
    Options
    Yeah when I went through my plateau I switched to cleaner eating trying to stay away from processed foods etc. I work really long long days like 12-14 hours so I found what made it easy for me was cooking my meals on the weekend. I make a whole bunch of food and freeze it so I can have it on hand and grab and go :) I have no reason not to eat healthier stuff if its already made for me :) For breakfast if i don't have time I hardboil a carton of eggs and eat those on the go :) Lots of protein :) Your workouts seem great. The only thing I will really say about your food is a lot of it is very high in sodium my guess is you are retaining a lot of water due to that so it is not showing a true loss :)
  • Randy2191
    Options
    Yeah after tomorrow my time frees up for a couple weeks maybe I will take time and prepare meals more.. I don't mind getting stuck for a few days just 2 weeks sounded ridiculous