Getting grumpy

Options
sassyww
sassyww Posts: 7 Member
I've only been at this a couple weeks, but lost 4 lbs, so that's a decent start. MFP suggested 1200 calories a day. I've averaged between 1200-1400, so I'm OK with that at this point. I'm looking for more permanent changes than a quick thing. But I've noticed that I'm getting grumpy. In the past when I "dieted" the same thing happened. Any suggestions for getting through that part? Does it go away?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it did go away for me, but i had a couple of very irritable weeks when i first cut down to 1200 calories. i'm amazed anyone was willing to talk to me :D
  • hjb85
    hjb85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try tracking your moods along with what you eat. Some days I feel amazing on 1200 cal but others I really struggle, feeling lethargic and irritable. You may find that there are days when you eat certain foods and feel better or worse. Remember that a treat every once in a while is healthy and knowing that you CAN have that little bit of chocolate or some pasta might be all it takes to cheer you up and make the journey a bit easier and more achieveable. It's a marathon - not a sprint! :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've only been at this a couple weeks, but lost 4 lbs, so that's a decent start. MFP suggested 1200 calories a day. I've averaged between 1200-1400, so I'm OK with that at this point. I'm looking for more permanent changes than a quick thing. But I've noticed that I'm getting grumpy. In the past when I "dieted" the same thing happened. Any suggestions for getting through that part? Does it go away?
    Your profile is closed so I have no idea how much you need to lose. I would however suggest that you may not need to eat that amount. Very few people need to eat 1200 calories in reality.

Maybe have a look at this thread as maybe the restriction is the reason for the grumpy feeling. To me the idea is to eat as much as I can and lose weight not the opposite Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    ^I agree. Make sure your calorie goal is appropriate for you. Also, make sure you're not cutting anything out. That's a sure way to failure hill. You'll be much happier and on a sustainable path if you eat an appropriate calorie goal of the foods you love.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Your profile is closed so I have no idea how much you need to lose. I would however suggest that you may not need to eat that amount. Very few people need to eat 1200 calories in reality.

Maybe have a look at this thread as maybe the restriction is the reason for the grumpy feeling. To me the idea is to eat as much as I can and lose weight not the opposite Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

All of the above. I'd be hangry too eating that little.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Wait. Grumpy can be temporary? Bah. I don't buy it.
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well- it "passes" in the way I mean you become use to it and your body will adjust if you can hang in there. 1200 to 1400 is low if you are working out, walking, anything??
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wait. Grumpy can be temporary? Bah. I don't buy it.

:laugh:

• AlyssaLoflin
    AlyssaLoflin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is such a common occurrence that Women's Health Magazine made a word for it: hangry - so hungry you are angry. This happens to me for the first week or two every time I go back to 1200. Exercise actually helps me but motivation becomes harder. When you cut back on sugars its a physiological process that makes you irritable. If you want to read more on it this article explains it pretty decently: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/healthyeating/9987825/Sweet-poison-why-sugar-is-ruining-our-health.html
    Even if you don't want to know why, know you are definitely not alone. I've been pretty irritable for the past few days and haven't made time for a real workout. I'm making time for a real workout today. The only thing that has ever helped me is a good hard workout that boosts endorphines. Good luck, I know this is a real struggle.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So for me there are two big things about restricting calories that can make life suck; being hungry and not getting as much sugar.

Being hungry is actually pretty easy to take care of. I have big servings of lean protein and veggies without all the breads, sauces, condiments and sides leaves me more than full. My average "meal" is 350 calories or so and it's hard to eat more when I am done.

The sugar stuff I mostly just tackle with juice. Coming from gallons of Mt. Dew a day, flipping off the sugar tap hurts a little. If you were in the same boat, you might find some strategically timed servings of fruit or even fruit juice can make a big difference in mood.

Last but not least exercise is a huge help. I'm finding if I get up and workout aggressively in the morning, I really don't have much of an appetite until the afternoon. It's hard to get going at first but once you get used to moving in the morning it's a pretty nice way to start the day.

Best of luck to you!
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough carbs?
  • sassyww
    sassyww Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Short version: I'm 41, SAHM of a 3 year old boy. I'm 5 feet tall and began this weighing 175 with a goal of 125. After 2 weeks I've lost 4 pounds. My doctor wanted me to loose since by the charts I'm in the "obese" category and still going up. Diabetes, heart disease, cholesterol problems and high BP all run in my family (most of those coming from both parents). A combo of shopping for vacation a few weeks ago and a dr visit where I learned my BP has started to rise to the point of possibly needing meds for it brought me to the point to say "enough". My nurse practitioner suggested 1200 calories and MFP. I waited until after vacation to start but thankfully all the walking and sweating at Disney helped me drop a few pounds anyway. When I did log into MFP, it also suggested 1200. I'm coming off a diet high in carbs, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's affecting me. I make sure to squeeze in a "treat" but have greatly scaled back their size. Where I once ate 4-6 cookies, I now stop at the "2 cookies serving size". And I found out I can have a small glass of milk with 2 hershey kisses for only about 100 calories! WOO HOO!!!! While I'm getting in my calories, I have not yet added regular exercise. We brought back a virus from vacation that I'm still fighting (mostly feel OK but coughing that gets worse with talking or activity). Hopefully I can get past that soon and get more active. I'm not "feeling" overly hungry, but could certainly sit down for a snack at pretty much any time. LOL I know I need to increase my veggies and get moving more. But it's good to know this is "normal" and that when I do those things and my body adjusts it is likely to get better!