Low calorie Mexican recipes??

Options
2»

Replies

• Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    You probably already know this but salsa is very low cal. I use this on everything!

Agree! I even use it on baked potatos!!!

* also, i do mini taco's...

96% lean ground beef
    Baked Tosititos scoops
    Fat free shredded cheese
    low fat sour cream
    salsa
    lettuce (whatever veggies you want too)
    Then fill about 10 little scoops with filling and enjoy!!!

:)

Today is Taco Thursday for me, excited- one of my fave foods!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I just made shredded/pulled chicken tacos last night.. for the sauce I used a 15oz can of tomato sauce (not paste) and a can of diced tomatoes with chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt & pepper to taste and cooked the chicken in it for 20-ish minutes until it was done, shred the chicken then put back into the sauce. I found the original recipe on allrecipes.com and searched for "chicken tacos" or similar (I think it was submitted by Goya brand? I tweaked the recipe quite a bit by omitting a bunch of stuff and reducing the amount of seasonings so it wasn't as spicy).

I added refried beans, whole black beans, nonfat sour cream (you could add lettuce but I didn't have lettuce at home) and put it in a lower calorie whole wheat tortilla (don't remember what the brand was, but it's only 50 cal per tortilla! found them in Safeway). Tastes good even without cheese, but you could add a bit if you want.

They turned out amazingly delicious.
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe for express chicken fajita salad which I tried out for the first time recently and it was delicious! I posted it on the recipes message board recently, which you may be able to access via my profile. If you can't find it and you are interested, send me a private message and I can send you the recipe.
  • LongLiveJen
    LongLiveJen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I made this Halibut Burrito Casserole from Clean Eating Magazine and it was a hit in the household. I used Cod rather than Halibut (due to the budget) and even topped it with some low-fat sour cream, and extra salsa of course!

http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/halibut-black-bean-burrito-casserole-clean-eating-magazine/
  • sbusch21
    Options
    bump
  • Jasdramaqueen
    Jasdramaqueen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    These are all brilliant- thanks so much guys! Am especially loving the fat free salsa (no I didn't know!) and mexican lasagne...yum yum!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Now that I've read this, I feel like I want to go home and make seitan fajitas. Yummy!
  • haleyga
    Options
    I like this recipe from Cooking Light:
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000642373

Tex Mex Lasagna

Yield: 4 servings
    Ingredients

* 3/4 cup bottled salsa
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    * 1 (14.5-ounce) can no salt-added diced tomatoes
    * 1 (8-ounce) can no salt-added tomato sauce
    * Cooking spray
    * 6 precooked lasagna noodles (such as Barilla or Vigo)
    * 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
    * 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    * 2 cups (8 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
    * 1/4 cup chopped green onions

Preparation

Preheat oven to 450°.

Combine first 4 ingredients; spread 2/3 cup sauce in bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 2 noodles over sauce; top with 1/2 cup corn and half of beans. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese; top with 2/3 cup sauce. Repeat layers once; top with remaining 2 noodles. Spread remaining sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Cover and bake at 450° for 30 minutes or until noodles are tender and sauce is bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with onions.
    Nutritional Information

Calories:
    415 (29% from fat)
    Fat:
    13.3g (sat 6.1g,mono 3.8g,poly 0.9g)
    Protein:
    27.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    55.2g
    Fiber:
    10.4g
    Cholesterol:
    41mg
    Iron:
    3.9mg
    Sodium:
    970mg
    Calcium:
    518mg

Karen Levin, Cooking Light, JUNE 2004
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any low cal veggie burrito recipes??
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I also love this website: http://www.skinnytaste.com/. She had tons of recipes for mexican food inaddtion to other great recipes. This is the most recent mexican dish I've made... I put the chicken in a salad with salsa for dressing.
    Chicken Ropa Vieja
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 234.8 • Fat: 5.4 g • Protein: 31.3 g • Carb: 12.8 g • Fiber: 2.6 g

3 chicken breast halves
    1 small onion, quartered
    1 tomato, quartered
    1 carrot, peeled and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 small onion, thinly sliced
    1 small green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
    1 small red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    reserved broth

1 tsp cumin, or more to taste (I like a lot)
    garlic powder
    salt and pepper to taste
    Place chicken, onion, tomato, carrot, and 2 cloves of garlic into crock pot. Add water to cover, and set to high for 4 hours until the chicken is tender. If cooking on the stove, cook on medium-low, and simmer until the chicken is tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Place the chicken into a bowl and shred it into strips using a fork; set aside. Reserve the liquid.

In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, green peppers, and red peppers. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in chicken, tomato sauce, white wine, and about 3/4 cup of the reserved broth to create a nice sauce. Season with cumin, garlic powder salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer on low for about 10 minutes more adding more broth and seasoning if needed. Makes 4 cups