bikram yoga

Options
I am doing bikram yoga tonight for the very first time. I have read on the message boards here that it makes you lose a lot of water weight. Tomorrow is supposed to be my weigh-in, should I not weigh in tomorrow since it will just be water weight lost?

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it properly, you will sweat a TON but then you're supposed to consume and ton of water both before and after, so it really does even out. Just be prepared for Bikram's "torcher chamber" and give it some time before you decide if you like it or not! I went for about 6 months straight and then had to stop because it was such a commitment (90 minutes plus the prep time before and recovery after = too much for this lady).

Good luck! It's a great experience and you will look amazing from all the detoxing and stretching!
  • dancer77
    dancer77 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I loved Bikram yoga...it makes you feel so much more toned. I went 5times in 2weeks and my weight didn't shift noticeably so I'd say as long as you are drinking enough water its fat you will lose. I wish i could do it all the time, but it is so expensive :P
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of bikram yoga, what exactly is it?
  • sbusch21
    Options
    It's yoga done in a 105 degree, 40% humidity room for 90 minutes. I've heard really good things about it, and I'm really excited to try it.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    How did it go? The place that I went to didn't let the humidity drop below 75% and the temp usually read about 109! I'm anxious to hear what you thought!!
  • t_hahn
    t_hahn Posts: 3
    Options
    I love bikram yoga! I practiced 2 years ago and was amazed at the changes in my breathing especially I was going consistently for 3 months and a friend had asked me to go running with her one night and l was like "great! I hate running" I went anyway and I was AMAZED I ran three miles without getting tired, or breathing to heavily!!! It was amazing needless to say I stopped practicing since then and gained 30 pounds after getting married. I recently just started going back this week actually, and I am having a miserable time lol I didn't realize how out of shape I am! But I have started dieting and already feel great. They say it helps with health problems you may have like bad knees, back problems, sleeping problems and etc. It is expensive but I think it's worth it I haven't found a workout that shocks my body more.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I do it regularly, but I make sure I am really well hydrated before the class, drink at least 750 ml during class and 750 ml immediately after class, and any more I feel like before I go to sleep.

I've never noticed a significant weight drop the next day.

As someone has already advised, give it a few tries before you decide if you like it or not, it is an acquired taste.

GG