Beginner rower, need some direction.

Options
Hey everyone, quick question about rowing. I currently row on a low resistance for 10 minutes at a time, stretch and do another 10 minutes. Should I increase resistance and row shorter segments or should I stay in the low resistance and go for 15-20 minutes a segment?

I'm not rowing for competition or anything, I used to jog a lot, but not so much anymore since I hurt my ankle. Using rowing to replace running. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I like to do intervals with the row machine. You can do something like 1 minute intense followed by 1 minute light rinse-repeat for 15-20 minutes total.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I like to do intervals with the row machine. You can do something like 1 minute intense followed by 1 minute light rinse-repeat for 15-20 minutes total.
    I like that idea, might try that out tomorrow. Thanks!
  • notreallychris
    Options
    bumping (shamelessly) for more ideas. I like this one, and I'm trying to row every other day while lifting on non rowing days. Any other thoughts guys and gals?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I would go to the Concept 2 website and look in the forums. The best link for you I think is attached

URL=http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=38/

Go to item 7 training and follow the guidance there. They are a good bunch over there providing you read the FAQs. Enjoy. I had a lot of fun with it a long time ago, but I get too competitive with it and start doing races and then training overtakes my life. The Pete plan is good mix up plan, Wolverine tends to be very serious and frankly not much fun, but it does give results.

Editing to hyperlink and gave up
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'd work on aerobic base first (ie longer time periods) and alternate days between steady state rows and intervals (personally I found I made more progress in both fitness and speed once I started with the intervals......I did nothing but steady state for several years as x-training for my running)

If you're using a Concept2 they have a variety of pre-set workouts that you can use.
  • notreallychris
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will check these out!