Ketosis is killing me!

Options
Hello everyone, I'm Heather, new to the my fitness pal world and to following a "diet plan."

I am 35, 5'4, and I about fainted when I went to my doctor, weighed, and the scale said 244! I'm a former member of the US Navy and was once a lean mean fighting machine. Of course, I can give over a million excuses for the weight gain, but I can easily sum it up by stating that life basically happened and it got easier and easier to not exercise and even worse, not eat. I'm one of those "busy girls" who goes all day running errands, taking classes (currently working on my MA), and basically everything else other than fueling my body in a healthy way. So, my body revolted and decided to store fat....and 100 pounds later I finally decided to do something about it.

My doctor prescribed phentermine (which I started this Saturday), after getting B12 and lipodene injections on Friday. For about three weeks prior to my visit, I had been working out three times a week for about forty five minutes to an hour doing cardio and circuit weight training and the scale hadn't budged, so I went to get a complete lab work up, and everything can back normal. My doc suggested the extra boost of B12/lipo, and explained the benefits of low carbing and I was all in.

He gave me the Atkins plan to follow, and stated that I could ease in on the slow and steady and recommended Phase II. I thought, okay, not too bad. So, I affirmed to cut down to max 50g of carbs per day and set on my way.

Saturday I felt awesome. Woke up early (and Miss Thang here is NOT a morning person), and was all crimson and clover. I got a myfitnesspal account, and started tracking. Stayed under 50g of carbs for Sat, Sun, and yesterday. Woke up early all three days. Had this unbelievable energy and felt really positive about everything. But, I had noticed on Sunday that my hands were continually freezing. I live in Texas and it's like a thousand degrees here, and my husband and I got into an argument over the AC thermostat! I wanted it on 80 and he was like, "You're crazy!"

Next, I noticed that I was having the longest urination episodes of my life. Think Austin Powers when he comes out of his cryogenic freeze process. I am going quite often and having marathon sessions (TMI, I know, but I'm trying to give the full monty here).

Then yesterday the headache hit. I felt like a mack truck ran me over and left me for dead. I thought, "Maybe this is summer flu," but then my semi-intelligence took hold and I realized....Carb Withdrawal? >Lightbulb<

I jumped online to do some research (which I found odd as I Iet the doctor INJECT me with things and THEN I researched) and stumbled upon the various message boards where you lovely people were discussing your experiences. When I read that what I was experiencing is something known as ketosis, I became that MUCH MORE motivated (hit the gym today, first time since last Thursday, I wanted to go yesterday, but that headache was scary), and then shocked the hell out of my husband when I announced that I had decided to continue the week at under 20g and do full on Induction for two weeks and four days (goal for now). He was like, "Why would you go lower? Isn't this the point where you should eat more carbs?" Yeah, if I wasn't sick and tired of being sick and tired, probably..... ;)

Anyway, I drove to the gym and was thinking the whole way, "How the hell are you gonna do this when the very sunlight is bothering you?" But I pushed through and then the endorphins kicked in during my workout and it was all gravy (no pun intended), until about ten minutes AFTER the workout, and as I was walking out of the gym I felt like I wanted to pass out. I was extremely exhausted and the headache returned with a vengeance. I came home, at my afternoon snack (which did help for a bit), and then I went back out to run errands, and I almost the lightheadedness returned and I almost munched it in Macys (which is where it is definitely not cute to get lightheaded and dizzy).

Okay, so I am eating smart carbs (mostly from my leafy greens) which until today I kept below 50g (today I stayed below 20g), keeping proteins at about 100g per day and getting my fats in to keep my calorie count up (which I am getting from extra virgin olive oil, peanut butter, cheeses, and a few atkins items). I am drinking about 96 oz of water per day (which I know is pouring right out of me, so I'm trying to keep up), and I do not scrimp on the salt!

I'm in finals week of Summer Session I (two exams on Thursday) and attempting to study though the haze is murder. I can't even type anymore cause my hands are freezing! I'm motivated at this point, and refuse to break, so I know joy is coming around the bend, but any recommendations as to what I can do to help with the ickyness for now are desperately welcome!!

Also, once one enters into ketosis, how long does it normally take for the pounds to start coming off (which I know is a random question since everyone is different). Guess I can switch that to say, how long did it take for you.....?

Thanks for taking the time to read my ketomadness. Any comments, motivation, and information is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Keto Flu! It sucks, doesn't it? I had "poo-brain", headaches and just icky feeling for about two weeks and then once I was adapted, I felt ten times better. Are you getting enough sodium, potassium and magnesium? If not, then you may want to start taking some supplements. It will help with the symptoms. I put pedialyte in my water when I was going through the keto flu and it helped. I also drank chicken broth for the sodium. Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

I've been keto-ing since July of last year. I've had a few cheat days here and there, but I try to keep my net carbs under 30, 20 if I can help it.
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Hello LadyM,

Thanks for the tips. I will head out to The Vitamin Shoppe tomorrow for potassium and magnesium. At this point I am ready to run over a small child if need be to make it stop. Two weeks you say? Dear God, please say it ain't so!

Pedialyte is an marvelous idea, see I couldn't even think of that! Excellent way to get in some calories with zero carbs! I had found it a bit difficult at first to balance the diet out to where I was eating in my margins while still hitting the minimum amount of daily calories. Like who knew peanut butter and celery was so heavenly??? (Obviously not this chick, but it has become like a crack hit for me! My husband said he's never seen someone go into ecstasy for a tablespoon of PB before!).

I've been drinking water like crazy, but I feel like I'm punched full of holes. The more I drink, the more it just exits out. Is this normal?
  • ravengal
    ravengal Posts: 39
    Options
    All normal. Here's a great site for low carbers; http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058097.php
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If ketosis is "killing you" maybe you should stop. Take it from someone with kidney failure, it is hard on your kidneys and it isn't worth damaging them! Be healthy about your weight loss choices, you only have one body, treat it with tender loving care.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I didn't think it was necessary for weight loss to be so painful. I just tracked my calories, eat mostly nutritious whole foods and saved room for favorite treats. Most people won't stick with a program that requires cutting out so many things or that results in feelings of deprivation.
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Honestly, I don't feel deprived at all. In fact, I am eating more than I've been eating over the past few years. Bad thing was when I did eat it was mostly carbs....so cutting back on those is what's causing the drama. It's like being a coffee drinker for years and just stopping cold turkey. There is gonna be a withdrawal factor. Some can power through it in an effort to complete their goal, and some can't. It's a bit rough for now, but I know there's a reward on the other side. It's worth it to me....Thanks for the luck Sherry!
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You described all symptoms of the keto flu. Drink chicken broth as mentioned previously. The main forums will not be supportive of this way of eating, there are Keto and Low carb supportive groups on myfitnesspal. You can also check http://www.reddit.com/r/keto. I have been on Keto since November and stick to less than 20g of carbs. You might not want to exercise until you are keto adapted and the keto flu has tapered off. I did not work out till 3 months later.

You are on the right path, keep calm and keto on (KCKO).

BTW- you do not have to cut coffee. Look up bullet proof coffee! Many ketoers love this concoction of coffee, coconut oil and/or buter/heavy cream. My mix is coconut oil and heavy cream. Its wonderful.
  • AKD1107
    AKD1107 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all of your hard works and efforts! I am sorry you're not feeling well though!
    I definitely recommend getting a really good vitamin like the first person recommended. I also highly recommend reading the Atkins book. It was extremely helpful and my symptoms (although not pleasant) only lasted for the first few days and I've felt amazing ever since. I stick to 20 or lower carbs per day, have minimal appetite, and tons of energy. I don't have any symptoms (other than the gross taste in my mouth ketosis brings). Also, I find the Atkins page on facebook to be really helpful too. You can actually post your daily food on there and get feedback from folks on tips to help improve things for you. I wish you the best of luck!
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Thanks for the link Ravengal.....Lots of good information. I noticed a two pound loss today and didn't even bat an eyelash. All those restroom trips should have showed something....water loss doesn't impress me. I'm in for the long term burnnnnn!
  • TheBrowniesMadeMeDoIt
    Options
    Thanks JLD.....

Now this ketobreath...does that stick around as long as you low carb?? Like, um, this can't stay here!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Heather, welcome to MFP!

I am not for this at all, and I have type 1 diabetes (this is the auto-immune disease). So I am less familiar with ketosis than I am with ketoacidosis (also known as DKA, or diabetic ketoacidosis, as it only affects type 1 diabetics and some severe cases of type 2 diabetes). With DKA, I would be in a coma in a matter of days (perhaps even singular) as various body systems are shutting down... I would be dead in less than a week if that continued.

While DKA is much more serious than ketosis, many of the negative consequences are similar (even if less severe or less likely). The reason you need to take potassium, for example, is to help reduce your risk of a heart attack from the ph imbalance caused by ketone levels.

Again, DKA is more severe, but I'll share an experience with you from when I was a teenager. I decided one weekend to stop taking insulin (this is typically what causes DKA). By mid-day Saturday, I was starting to develop ketones. By Sun. morning, I was urinating frequently (around every 10-20 minutes) and vomiting. By Mon. morning, I was on my way to the hospital. I should have had a heart attack based on PH levels, I was vomiting so much that I had nothing left to come up and just had what appeared to be part of my stomach coming up (all bile was gone). In fact, there was a point Sun. evening where I drank some water, and while still holding the glass, I had to slam it down and run 10 feet to the toilet and vomited a yellow liquid, which was the water I had drunk seconds prior and bile. I could literally keep nothing down... even water for any amount of time. During this time, I lost about 50 lbs., 60% of which was water weight (based on the net weight loss after returning home from the hospital a week later). Short story: I would not want to be that sick again. Sure, I lost a lot of weight, but it wasn't worth it.

Again, I know this isn't the severity you will see, but you still could see some serious consequences in the mid-term and long-term. Sure, you are excited about the weight loss now, but it is more dangerous than you might realize.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    are you sure your symptoms arnt from phentermine?
    I remeber that fen/phen combo was dangerous and killed people like 10 years ago.
    I understand phentermine alone is safer but still..
    I had no idea what Lipodene injections were so I googled and the symptoms and side effects that came up said PROBLEMS WITH URINATION.
  • kiknitwite
    kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to ketosis and so far I love it. I helped me reach my short term goal of 20 pounds in 30 days. (Actually it was 19 pounds but hey - we take what we can get). I'm looking for support groups on myfitnesspal. Do you know of any?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm Heather, new to the my fitness pal world and to following a "diet plan."

I am 35, 5'4, and I about fainted when I went to my doctor, weighed, and the scale said 244! I'm a former member of the US Navy and was once a lean mean fighting machine. Of course, I can give over a million excuses for the weight gain, but I can easily sum it up by stating that life basically happened and it got easier and easier to not exercise and even worse, not eat. I'm one of those "busy girls" who goes all day running errands, taking classes (currently working on my MA), and basically everything else other than fueling my body in a healthy way. So, my body revolted and decided to store fat....and 100 pounds later I finally decided to do something about it.

My doctor prescribed phentermine (which I started this Saturday), after getting B12 and lipodene injections on Friday. For about three weeks prior to my visit, I had been working out three times a week for about forty five minutes to an hour doing cardio and circuit weight training and the scale hadn't budged, so I went to get a complete lab work up, and everything can back normal. My doc suggested the extra boost of B12/lipo, and explained the benefits of low carbing and I was all in.

He gave me the Atkins plan to follow, and stated that I could ease in on the slow and steady and recommended Phase II. I thought, okay, not too bad. So, I affirmed to cut down to max 50g of carbs per day and set on my way.

Saturday I felt awesome. Woke up early (and Miss Thang here is NOT a morning person), and was all crimson and clover. I got a myfitnesspal account, and started tracking. Stayed under 50g of carbs for Sat, Sun, and yesterday. Woke up early all three days. Had this unbelievable energy and felt really positive about everything. But, I had noticed on Sunday that my hands were continually freezing. I live in Texas and it's like a thousand degrees here, and my husband and I got into an argument over the AC thermostat! I wanted it on 80 and he was like, "You're crazy!"

]Next, I noticed that I was having the longest urination episodes of my life. Think Austin Powers when he comes out of his cryogenic freeze process. I am going quite often and having marathon sessions (TMI, I know, but I'm trying to give the full monty here).

Then yesterday the headache hit. I felt like a mack truck ran me over and left me for dead. I thought, "Maybe this is summer flu," but then my semi-intelligence took hold and I realized....Carb Withdrawal? >Lightbulb<

I jumped online to do some research (which I found odd as I Iet the doctor INJECT me with things and THEN I researched) and stumbled upon the various message boards where you lovely people were discussing your experiences. When I read that what I was experiencing is something known as ketosis, I became that MUCH MORE motivated (hit the gym today, first time since last Thursday, I wanted to go yesterday, but that headache was scary), and then shocked the hell out of my husband when I announced that I had decided to continue the week at under 20g and do full on Induction for two weeks and four days (goal for now). He was like, "Why would you go lower? Isn't this the point where you should eat more carbs?" Yeah, if I wasn't sick and tired of being sick and tired, probably..... ;)

Anyway, I drove to the gym and was thinking the whole way, "How the hell are you gonna do this when the very sunlight is bothering you?" But I pushed through and then the endorphins kicked in during my workout and it was all gravy (no pun intended), until about ten minutes AFTER the workout, and as I was walking out of the gym I felt like I wanted to pass out. I was extremely exhausted and the headache returned with a vengeance. I came home, at my afternoon snack (which did help for a bit), and then I went back out to run errands, and I almost the lightheadedness returned and I almost munched it in Macys (which is where it is definitely not cute to get lightheaded and dizzy).

Okay, so I am eating smart carbs (mostly from my leafy greens) which until today I kept below 50g (today I stayed below 20g), keeping proteins at about 100g per day and getting my fats in to keep my calorie count up (which I am getting from extra virgin olive oil, peanut butter, cheeses, and a few atkins items). I am drinking about 96 oz of water per day (which I know is pouring right out of me, so I'm trying to keep up), and I do not scrimp on the salt!

I'm in finals week of Summer Session I (two exams on Thursday) and attempting to study though the haze is murder. I can't even type anymore cause my hands are freezing! I'm motivated at this point, and refuse to break, so I know joy is coming around the bend, but any recommendations as to what I can do to help with the ickyness for now are desperately welcome!!

Also, once one enters into ketosis, how long does it normally take for the pounds to start coming off (which I know is a random question since everyone is different). Guess I can switch that to say, how long did it take for you.....?

Thanks for taking the time to read my ketomadness. Any comments, motivation, and information is greatly appreciated!

Way too long, didn't read it all but skimmed.

First, your body didn't store 100 pounds of extra fat from not eating. You gained 100 pounds because you ate more calories than your body burned.

Second, why stick with a fad diet when you have no health reasons for it? Your body is clearly telling you something isn't right with what your doing, listen to it. Also, why the medications? Not necessary for weight loss and wont do you any favours to keep the weight off long term.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Thanks JLD.....

Now this ketobreath...does that stick around as long as you low carb?? Like, um, this can't stay here!

It goes away. My hubby HATED my keto breath. lol
  • MarlaGGG
    Options
    I felt bad on ketosis too when I started.. this helped me.. I had a dash of salt like ..well thinking how much... very small like 1/4 tsp if that and a cup of coffee - decaf or regular what ever you prefer and a tsp of coconut oil. I researched all over for the symptoms and that is the only thing that worked... and it worked pretty fast... I was in clinicals at the time so i had no time to be woozy or have headaches... that fixed me right up...

side note on the coffee... too much regular can supposedly kick you out of ketosis? its up to you..

Lastly Watch out for hidden sugars - I was using Splenda then switched to Stevia in the raw... kept having issues staying in ketosis... I researched the ingredients and found out both had fillers with forms of sugar like maldextr... should have written down the ingredient.. anyway... Those sweetners are apparently ok for general low carb and diabetics but if you want to do the ketosis consistently sugar is not going to help in any form... I looked for ever and found "ez sweets" which is basicly pure sucralose.. like splenda without fillers.... amazon has it pretty cheap - about $13 for liquid version which is supposed to equate about 800 splenda packets.. It was on dr oz show too... hope this helps with the ketosis....

Ohhh yes also if I ate too much protein or Nuts in one setting I would drop out of ketosis... not keep up the pace on weight loss..

Yay Ketosis
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Ketosis does not sound good at all.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    That sounds very unpleasant! I found that I was able to reach my goal weight, and I've kept off the weight for nearly two years now, by eating at a slight calorie deficit. I choose the foods I enjoy eating, so it's a rather sustainable plan!

I don't exercise as much as you do, but I need carbs to do my best when I do exercise. My doctor and I were discussing anti-depressants and pain medication last week, and she to me that carbs are very important to keep up my serotonin levels, which helps with pain tolerance. Good luck to you OP! I hope your symptoms subside soon:)
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I felt bad on ketosis too when I started.. this helped me.. I had a dash of salt like ..well thinking how much... very small like 1/4 tsp if that and a cup of coffee - decaf or regular what ever you prefer and a tsp of coconut oil. I researched all over for the symptoms and that is the only thing that worked... and it worked pretty fast... I was in clinicals at the time so i had no time to be woozy or have headaches... that fixed me right up...

side note on the coffee... too much regular can supposedly kick you out of ketosis? its up to you..

Lastly Watch out for hidden sugars - I was using Splenda then switched to Stevia in the raw... kept having issues staying in ketosis... I researched the ingredients and found out both had fillers with forms of sugar like maldextr... should have written down the ingredient.. anyway... Those sweetners are apparently ok for general low carb and diabetics but if you want to do the ketosis consistently sugar is not going to help in any form... I looked for ever and found "ez sweets" which is basicly pure sucralose.. like splenda without fillers.... amazon has it pretty cheap - about $13 for liquid version which is supposed to equate about 800 splenda packets.. It was on dr oz show too... hope this helps with the ketosis....

Ohhh yes also if I ate too much protein or Nuts in one setting I would drop out of ketosis... not keep up the pace on weight loss..

Yay Ketosis

You lost me at "Dr. Oz."
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I lost all of my weight just counting calories. I don't think weight loss should have to be so horrible. Just my two cents.