Never thought making the 1200 calorie daily minimum is HARD!

Options
I'm trying to lose weight but once again I having issues concerning calorie count. I still only drink soda, and have cut away from the greasy fast food and processed junk food. I eat the usual fruits, veggies, grilled protein, and I have a protein shake for breakfast. However after tonight I still had around 300-400 calories left before midnight. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and have healthy snacks too like nonfat yogurt. I've always thought cutting proportions is key to weight loss and that's it. But now it has to be atleast 1200 calories a day and I can't eat more than 2200 a day.

So the question is should I eat 1-2 extra meals that are still healthy? Or should I pig out around dinner time with more meat and side items?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    dont matter. do whatever the f you wanna do. if you met your macros and micros, you can and should eat what you want. timing is also irrelevant
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't stuff myself if I'm not hungry. I eat between 1100-1200 calories a day which most people say is way too low. But I am not hungry and I work out over an hr every day. If i feel hungry I eat a little more. If I don't I don't worry about it. I just don't believe in force feeding yourself just to make your calorie goal.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, how many calories have you eaten today? 1800-1900?

Looks more like 800-900 cals.
  • emilylouisezel
    Options
    more smaller meals more frequently over they course of the day i would say. Don't let yourself feel starved and don't let yourself feel extremely full you want a comfortable medium.
  • skinnyjetora
    skinnyjetora Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :sad: I also think it is hard. I have a sweet tooth!! Still working on plushing sweets out of my system.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    eat an extra one of these

tailgating-steak.jpg
  • NS3210
    NS3210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If that's the case then it's likely the OP has reduced fat to levels that are to low, has tried to "eat clean" therefore restricting foods or food groups. Maybe a combination of the 2.

Indeed that's what I have been doing. I don't want to screw up my metabolism and make weight loss harder
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You should find the plan much more livable if you eat more of your usual foods and drinks, just within moderation. When you go all 'EAT CLEAN' crazy all at once, it gets hard to stick to. There's no need to live off produce and protein and yogurt. Have some bread with dinner, a potato, a little ice cream now and then. I'm not one to recommend stuffing in peanut butter at night to hit a calorie value but if you just re-started and are doing things too strictly, odds are you'll quit early. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat when hungry, stop when full.

Check with your doctor, for sure. They know you and what is right for you better than I do !

You aren't the only person who doesn't eat up to the number, though. Not by a long shot.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight but once again I having issues concerning calorie count. I still only drink soda, and have cut away from the greasy fast food and processed junk food. I eat the usual fruits, veggies, grilled protein, and I have a protein shake for breakfast. However after tonight I still had around 300-400 calories left before midnight. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner and have healthy snacks too like nonfat yogurt. I've always thought cutting proportions is key to weight loss and that's it. But now it has to be atleast 1200 calories a day and I can't eat more than 2200 a day.

So the question is should I eat 1-2 extra meals that are still healthy? Or should I pig out around dinner time with more meat and side items?

Suggestions are appreciated.
    Do you plan on cutting out all of those things, the ones that you used to enjoy, for the rest of your life?
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Eat when hungry, stop when full.

Check with your doctor, for sure. They know you and what is right for you better than I do !

You aren't the only person who doesn't eat up to the number, though. Not by a long shot.

While that rule of thumb is good to follow on maintenance, it can be bad for a dieter. Since many of them cut out foods they're used to eating (fried foods, as he stated, for one example) they will replace them with versions that have less calories. All the calories in that greasy fried chicken are probably double what's in a grilled chicken. So, the portions will feel the same, so they will feel full when they're really, probably, not.

In the beginning, it might be fine to eat so little. But if you don't pick it up, you could suffer consequences. It won't hurt to eat a nice, juicy, plump steak. Especially if you plan on eating one once you've lost the weight.

Also, are you drinking diet soda? If not, I'd have trouble believing you're not hitting at least 1200 if all you drink is soda. When all I drank was soda, I could get to 1200 on soda alone (I know, it's scary). But if diet soda, that point obviously doesn't stand.