New to Running

Options
So I've recently decided to try running. I currently still walk 7,000 to 10,000 steps a day. I've downloaded a 5k app that trains you to run a 5k in 9 weeks. Does anyone have any tips for beginners or how I should start?

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Take it easy.
    Run slower, and then probably slow down some more.

Join this group :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • erielle165
    erielle165 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Take it easy.
    Run slower, and then probably slow down some more.

Join this group :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

I second this post. Run slow & join the group for support, advice and camaraderie.
  • Abowles27
    Abowles27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would say not doing the same route every day and not doing the same mileage which is really hard in the beginning since you aren't running that far. Try to find what motivates you to keep running that run but also what keeps you motivated to keep coming back. I have different points in the run after I've been running for a couple of weeks like if I'm half way done I will tell myself I'm already half way there and if I walk the distance I ran it would be a waste or like when I'm going up a slight uphill I will just tell myself to keep going. Also I would say different terrain like dirt, track, and grass. For me, I've started to run on asphalt more because it would usually take me like 3 weeks to get used to concrete. Like someone said, run slower because it's always better than walking and it helps because it gets your energy back. I've also felt that eating better has always made me feel better when I run. Don't do too much the first day and the first day is always horrible, but you should never judge it by the first day.
  • ReenieReenie05
    ReenieReenie05 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1.) PROPER FITTING SHOES!! i can not stress that enough (for runners usually a 1/2 size larger than you normally wear)
    2.) Pace yourself, set a goal like lets say 20 miles per/week so in this instance you could walk/jog 3miles per day monday-friday or whatever suits your schedule ... you will slowly start to increase your endurance DO NOT OVER EXERT YOURSELF we all start somewhere.. even if it means at the slowest point lol
    3.) BREATHE!! lol as funny as it seems make sure you are breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth - another thing make sure you keep proper body form hands at waist level about a 90 degree angle keep your back straight and your head up- not doing so can lead to aches and pains in other areas of your body :)

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU A LIL BIT :)
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Definitely do NOT overdo it in the beginning, even if you FEEL like you can (like, "Oh, this was too easy of a workout, I'm going to go and run this longer/faster/harder"). That is a recipe for injury. Your body needs to acclimate to running.

If you're training on a treadmill, I recommend putting it on a slight incline, to better mimic outdoor running. And definitely try to run outdoors every now and then if you can (hard to do in the heat, I know), since your actual race will be outdoors. Assuming your goal is to run a 5K :) Either way, it helps to run on different surfaces.

Also, if for any reasons you are experiencing PAIN (different from just soreness or discomfort from exercise), stop running and see a doctor. Do not run through it. Catch an injury in the beginning while it's still minor, never ignore pain.

And if you haven't already, get your gait analyzed and get fitted for some real running shoes (your local running store can help you with this). Good shoes are vital, and you will need to drop a nice chunk of change for them unfortunately, but it's the first step in preventing injury.

Also, there is no shame in "repeating a week" in your training. Life happens. Just don't quit. :)

Working up to that 5K was really hard for me, and I definitely made a lot of rookie mistakes and even injured myself, but it was really amazing to see how much my body could do if I just trained and stayed consistent with my running. Good luck!