Ladies :Need to tone within 8 weeks!

Options
Any ladies out there have success incorporating some type of strength training routine and seeing a difference in 8 weeks?
Should i be lifting heavy or just use body resistance and plyometric moves? I do not have gym access, so need something that can be done at home.
For reference im 5"2" and 128lbs and would like to lose 10 more lbs. I have been steadily losing 1lb per week since Jan just by watching my calories and walking 30 min a day

Your advice is appreciated it! TY :)

Replies

• Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I had great results in the first 8 weeks of New Rules of Lifting for Women

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398

But, most important is the caloric deficit. So keep focusing on your food intake. And if you are new to weight lifting, you might see the scale jump up a few pounds at first. Don't worry, you're not gaining fat. Its just glycogen.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training pretty steady for a year or so, and really don't see the difference on the scale or in body measurements, but it looks like my body composition is changing if that's possible.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I had great results in the first 8 weeks of New Rules of Lifting for Women

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398

But, most important is the caloric deficit. So keep focusing on your food intake. And if you are new to weight lifting, you might see the scale jump up a few pounds at first. Don't worry, you're not gaining fat. Its just glycogen.

She knows. ^^^
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to weights at home? Just wondering, because it will be hard to lift heavy stuff without them. I started New Rules as well, only two weeks ago and feel changes already. The scale really isn't moving, but the tape measure is showing a difference, so I'm not too worried about it. If you don't have access to weights at home, look into 'convict training' or 'you are your own gym' for great body weight workouts.

You might enjoy the process a bit more if you don't have the time constraint on yourself. Just get started and enjoy the process. Hope this helps a bit.
  • kymber2280
    kymber2280 Posts: 47
    Options
    I really enjoy lifting with free weights, i dont have very heavy ones though at home, just 10lbs. I was thinking about starting strong lifts, but really dont want to spend a lot of $$ on bar bell and weights ect..
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy lifting with free weights, i dont have very heavy ones though at home, just 10lbs. I was thinking about starting strong lifts, but really dont want to spend a lot of $$ on bar bell and weights ect..

Well your original question asked us what you should be doing. If you're not interested in investing in heavier weights than the 10lber that you already own, and you don't have access to a gym, then you should probably start a good bodyweight training program.

This is a bodyweight program that I like:
    http://www.niashanks.com/the-beautiful-badass-bodyweight-guide2/
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

They're a great investment, they pretty much last forever.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Lighter starting weight is okay as long as you focus on form and pace, and take each set to the number of reps where you feel like you almost couldn't do another one. This goes for squats too. I have been 12 weeks and I haven't lost any weight (not cutting back calories much) but I do feel stronger, taller, more energy including mental energy.
  • EverSinging
    EverSinging Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying a home DVD system? Like Insanity or P90X or 30 Day Shred or something? I just started Brazil Butt Lift, which was kind of a joke/dare because Leandro is so funny, but it's by the Beach Body People. It feels very effective, but is about an hour of work a day, using resistance bands and light weight only. I will keep you posted. It's hard to see daily change in yourself, so it might take waiting to the end of the month and looking at before and afters and measuring inches. Still, I'm enjoying it. I got it cheap/used on ebay, because no way was I dropping over $100 on a few dvds.
  • privatejoy
    Options
    30 day shread works fast! i highly recommend :) i'm on day 8 of my first go and restricting myself to 1200 calories!
  • SLP76
    SLP76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I notice that 30 Day Shred works quickly, you'd get great results in 8 weeks. I notice that I don't lose that much scale weight but I do lose inches. Level 1 & 2 is on youtube.

I also had a look at the fitness blender workouts last night and I did one that has similar exercises to the 30DS. See http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Toned-Curvy-Body-Workout-Exercises-to-get-Curves/9p/

I enjoyed it, sometimes I just want to do the toning work without the cardio part of the 30DS as I do running separately.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You don't want to buy weights - neither did I - I started doing You are your own gym (the app) and saw a difference quickly.
    good luck!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Any ladies out there have success incorporating some type of strength training routine and seeing a difference in 8 weeks?
    Should i be lifting heavy or just use body resistance and plyometric moves? I do not have gym access, so need something that can be done at home.
    For reference im 5"2" and 128lbs and would like to lose 10 more lbs. I have been steadily losing 1lb per week since Jan just by watching my calories and walking 30 min a day

Your advice is appreciated it! TY :)

you can try keto for water weight loss and improved fat loss (short term/non sustainable improvements)

Body recomp is a process that takes time I find that slow and steady wins the race in looking "toned" (hate that word)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!