Cabin Vacation - Seeking Meal Ideas

Options
Hi, all!

I'll be going up to my boyfriend's parent's lake cabin over the 4th of July (leaving Thursday). They're definitely the type of people who like to grill burgers on the grill, whip up some fettuccine alfredo, etc while up at the lake. So far, they don't have a meal plan for the 4 days we'll be there. They figure they'll wait until everyone arrives (8-10 of us) and then "vote" on what meals to make and go from there.

I don't want to rely on these selections being ones that fit in with the way I'm focusing my eating right now. Maybe some of the selections will be ones I can easily work in, who knows. If that's the case - I'm happy to do it. But I don't want to be stuck eating things I wouldn't normally make a part of my routine.

I have breakfasts figured out but could use a little help with lunches and dinners. I meal prep at home regularly so it's not a big deal for me to put together some meals, but I'm wondering - does anyone have any ideas for meals that either take up minimal fridge space or don't have to be refrigerated at all? I don't want to hog the fridge space with my stuff.

Any thoughts would be awesome! Thanks!!

Replies

• candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    more like a snack...but I love peanut butter on apples (or almond butter if you like that better).
    hummus and veggies might be good if you can keep them refrigerated.
    PB&J on wheat is one of my camping standbys. pair that with some fruit and it's not terrible...
    maybe make some veggie/chicken stirfry or pasta salad with veggies/chicken?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Hi, all!

I'll be going up to my boyfriend's parent's lake cabin over the 4th of July (leaving Thursday). They're definitely the type of people who like to grill burgers on the grill, whip up some fettuccine alfredo, etc while up at the lake. So far, they don't have a meal plan for the 4 days we'll be there. They figure they'll wait until everyone arrives (8-10 of us) and then "vote" on what meals to make and go from there.

I don't want to rely on these selections being ones that fit in with the way I'm focusing my eating right now. Maybe some of the selections will be ones I can easily work in, who knows. If that's the case - I'm happy to do it. But I don't want to be stuck eating things I wouldn't normally make a part of my routine.

I have breakfasts figured out but could use a little help with lunches and dinners. I meal prep at home regularly so it's not a big deal for me to put together some meals, but I'm wondering - does anyone have any ideas for meals that either take up minimal fridge space or don't have to be refrigerated at all? I don't want to hog the fridge space with my stuff.

I think you are going to be in a real life situation, take this opportunity to use good judgement on what you eat. Take a small piece of everything and then move away from the food.

Eat slowly and chew every piece of food in your mouth; yes, it hard, something I still have not mastered, but the slower you eat, the less you will consume.

Drink 8 ounces of water before your main or evening meal.

Taking your own food definitely not, how else do you expect to survive in the real world.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    S'Mores
    S'Mores
    S'Mores

Ok - probably not what you were looking for... but still... S'Mores

I have two suggestions but they aren't that easy on the refrigerator space, but you can prep a lot of it ahead of time.

Kabobs: cut up chicken or pork tenderloin, throw it in a plastic bag with some marinade, then chop a variety of veggies, and either bring it to the cabin and everyone can assemble their own, or you can assemble them ahead of time. I like teriyaki pork with pineapple and peppers, or jerk chicken with squash and zucchini, but you can do whatever sounds good. I just tend to get tired of hamburgers and hot dogs when camping.

Fish in Foil Packets: kind of the same concept as above, bring whatever kind of fish you like, along with chopped veggies, and some orzo. Then everyone can assemble their own meal packet with the orzo, veggies, and fish - throw in some fresh rosemary or other herbs and some lemon juice, fold and seal the packet really tightly, and then put on the grill (or even on a grate above the fire if that's an option) and let it steam for about 15-20 minutes.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's just one weekend! Your daily energy expenditure will probably increase with all the lake activities you will be doing. Relax and enjoy yourself. Don't shove your face full of everything and anything you want, obviously, but don't feel like you need to be on a special diet apart from everyone else. Bring some granola/protein bars and fruit to snack on and keep hydrated.

I went with my bf and his family to a lake cabin two weekends ago. I ate s'mores by a campfire, grilled burgers and hotdogs, ice cream, chips, sandwiches, beer, etc. Within reason. It was amazing.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you not allowed to be in on the meal planning? Offer to make salads or grilled veggies to go with the other dishes they're cooking. Suggest getting some yummy summer fruits - watermelon, berries, peaches and nectarines. Stuff like that so there are more balanced options around for everyone.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi, all!

I think you are going to be in a real life situation, take this opportunity to use good judgement on what you eat. Take a small piece of everything and then move away from the food.

Eat slowly and chew every piece of food in your mouth; yes, it hard, something I still have not mastered, but the slower you eat, the less you will consume.

Drink 8 ounces of water before your main or evening meal.

Taking your own food definitely not, how else do you expect to survive in the real world.

You're talking to someone who lost 70lbs and kept it off for 5 years. I really don't need to learn how to eat. I was hoping for some fun/healthy/tasty/easy suggestions for meals while I'm on vacation.

I definitely understand this will be "real life" and I did mention that depending on the menu, I definitely might be able to work things in and just enjoy myself. However, I do want to have some things available to me should I not want to completely indulge for 4 days.

I'm sure I will survive just fine. :wink:
  • pinkshiningstar
    Options
    Are you not allowed to be in on the meal planning? Offer to make salads or grilled veggies to go with the other dishes they're cooking. Suggest getting some yummy summer fruits - watermelon, berries, peaches and nectarines. Stuff like that so there are more balanced options around for everyone.

I'm definitely able to be involved, but I just don't want to rely on everyone wanting to eat the kind of suggestions I bring forward. I had mentioned bringing to the lake fixings for build-your-own kabobs, perhaps a taco bar, grilled pork chops with corn on the cob, etc. but was told to hold off until the group could decide.

The bummer is, I'm a huge planner and I like to stay on track the best I can while on vacation. I just don't want to end up feeling stuck if other decisions are made
  • pinkshiningstar
    Options
    It's just one weekend! Your daily energy expenditure will probably increase with all the lake activities you will be doing. Relax and enjoy yourself. Don't shove your face full of everything and anything you want, obviously, but don't feel like you need to be on a special diet apart from everyone else. Bring some granola/protein bars and fruit to snack on and keep hydrated.

I went with my bf and his family to a lake cabin two weekends ago. I ate s'mores by a campfire, grilled burgers and hotdogs, ice cream, chips, sandwiches, beer, etc. Within reason. It was amazing.

I have the s'mores fixings already packed!!

I'm definitely going to indulge a little bit, but I don't want to go crazy.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Is there a freezer? Your family probably won't be buying frozen food if it's just one weekend so that space might be all yours. Frozen entrees, vegetables, black bean burgers... Also- you can microwave sweet potatoes for an easy healthy carb. Microwave popcorn, apples, oatmeal....cold cuts and whole wheat bread...good luck!
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I have the s'mores fixings already packed!!

I'm definitely going to indulge a little bit, but I don't want to go crazy.

3 toasted Marshmallow=only 90 calories!! :D:D I went camping a few weeks ago and I did go a little too nuts. But I just tried to offset it with all the additional activities I was doing there.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Could you be a little more specific about what you're looking for in an eating plan?

If it were me I would probably focus on breakfast and lunch and just eat dinner with the group, making the best choices that I could. Eating a separate dinner may tend to isolate you or make you appear as though you don't consider yourself one of the group, which is definitely not the impression I would want to give my boyfriend's family.

I'd probably take cans of salmon/tuna/sardines, some whole wheat bread, peanut butter, apples, oranges, and bananas...and throw in a lemon or two to prep with the tuna/salmon. I might take a few cans of soup too. And I'd bring a huge tray of fresh veggies for the first night there. Everyone can snack on them while they're planning the grocery run and then you could store whatever is left in the fridge (pack a couple of plastic bags.)
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    No definite ideas for you but was wondering...why not bring some dishes to share? Like sides for burgers (which aren't unhealthy anyway) or maybe bring turkey/veggie burgers.
    Maybe offer to bring deli meats and veg for lunch sandwiches. Then others can you know add mayo or chips or cookies or whatever, but you can keep yours healthy and fresh.
    Only thing can think dinner wise is for the cookout. I mean veggie/turkey burgers always good option and they could grill corn on the cobb...oh and some watermelon! Think finding ways to healthify what they already do would be less strange than just packing your own meals.

But if you want to do that just pre-cook chicken and bring salad stuff and have salads for dinners.
    Bring snacks you usually enjoy.
    And I still think sandwiches be easiest for lunches.
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd be worried about 3 things: 1) I wouldn't be getting enough protein to stave off hunger, 2) the meals may be too carb heavy, and 3) there might not be enough veggies. So I'd try to just address those things within the context of the joint meals.

So I'd pack:
    1) tortillas and/or pita to have better choices for burgers or sandwiches
    2) protein powder to make smoothies to fill in protein
    3) V8 and some munch able raw veggies to fill in veggie gaps
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'd stop by a farmers market before and just get a ton of produce so it'll be there to snack on, share, etc. I'd also bring some raw almonds. Just have what everyone else is having smaller portions, and lots of fruits & veggies. Have fun!
  • LucyBzz
    LucyBzz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said, if you insist on your own food for the weekend you risk being seen as rude by the rest of the group. If you already know them well and they know you are on a specific diet plan that's one thing, but if you are new-ish to the family then you might want to bring along some healthy sides as suggested
    "I was at the farmers market the other day and they had these beautiful watermelon - I didn't get round to eating them all before we left and they won't keep so I thought I'd bring them along"
    "I've been trying this new recipe for homemade turkey burgers and I'm excited to share it with you so I hope you don't mind that I've brought the first night dinner along with me!"

You cannot easily prepare your own food without seeming rude to your hosts, so I would go with whatever the group is doing and add a few tweaks - it's only 4 days!!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm loving my whole wheat pitas. I make pita pizzas at least once a week( been making mine veggie and the others have pepperoni) Who doesn't like pizza?. I even eat my hamburgers in a pita half or on wheat bread. You can also make pita chips there or bring some along if you think they'll be buying things like potato chips.