Workout Plan

Options
What is your typical workout schedule? How many times a week? How long are your sessions? What do you do during your workout time? Thanks!

Replies

• accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 day split which I typically run through twice a week. Push, Pull, Legs. Push as in various barbell or dumbbess presses, flyes, tricep work. Pull as in lat pull downs and pull ups, various rows, bicep work. Legs consisting of squats, deadlifts, lunges, and calf raises.

I'll typically run through a variety of weights and rep ranges through 3-5 exercises per muscle and each workout takes me about an hour. I also do cardio between sets so for the minute of "rest" between lifts, i'll run in place, do jumping jacks, jump squats, stationary bike, elliptical, etc.

I've got my wife doing basically the same thing and we are both loving it. I'm getting bigger stronger leaner, and the wife is getting more shapely, and leaner too.

So yesterday was Legs day:
    Squats: two warm up sets then 4 sets of 5 at a heavy weight
    Leg press: 4 heavy sets 6-7 reps
    Seated leg curl and leg extension supersets: 4 sets of 10each
    Standing calf raises, 5 sets of 10-15
    seated calf raises, 5 sets of 10-15

Today is Push:
    Incline db press: 3 sets of 6-8reps (run in place between sets)
    flat bench flyes: 3 sets of 10-12 reps (jumping jacks between sets)
    Cable crossover: 4 sets (two from low, two from high) of 10 reps (stationary bike)
    Tricep extension: 4 sets of 10 (stationary bike)
    Overhead tricep ext: 3 sets of 6-8 (run in place)
    Kickbacks: 3 sets of 8-10 (jumping jacks)

Tomorrow is Pull:
    Wide grip pull-ups - 3x8 (run in place)
    Lat pulldown - 3x6-8 (stationary bike)
    Wide grip bent over rows - 3x8 (jumping jacks)
    narrow grip bent over rows - 3x8 (jump squats)
    face pulls - 3x8 (stationary bike)
    Lateral shoulder raises - 3x8-10 (Stationary bike)
    bicep curl - 3x10-12 (elliptical)

I fly a desk for work so i'm very sedentary other than the working out. If I ever feel any symptoms of overtraining i'll take an extra day off but so far, its been easy to keep up with.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I was doing Stronglifts for the past 6 weeks, but I'm starting to get bored with it, so I switched to Strong Curves. There's plenty of great programs out there, and it's very important to have a program. Otherwise you end up wandering around without a plan, and not making gains because you're not working specific muscles regularly.

I lift 3-5 times a week, and it usually takes about 45 minutes to an hour. Sometimes I do cardio after, or sit in the steam room and whirlpool, so then I'm at the gym a total of around 2 hours.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Hal Higdon novice 10k plan, Start Bodyweight strength training plus some dumbbells, and I do the easy Winsor pilates 20 minute video. My workouts end up around 1 hr 15 minutes most days. Sometimes a bit more if I spend extra time putzing around. How my week shakes out:

Sunday - long(ish) run day: warm up (10 min), run (45 min), cool down (5-10 min), stretch (10 min)
    Monday - pilates (20 min), bodyweight (40 min), stretch (10 min)
    Tuesday - medium run day: warm up (10 min), run (35 min), cool down (5-10 min), stretch (10 min)
    Wednesday - pilates (20 min), bodyweight (40 min), stretch (10 min)
    Thursday - short run day: warm up (10 min), run (25 min), cool down (5-10 min), stretch (10 min)
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - pilates (20 min), bodyweight (40 min), stretch (10 min)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lift 4x week for 60-70 minutes/session. I do all the compound lifts with a good mix of isolation work.

Cardio 1-2x week for 20-30 minutes/session unless I go for a bike ride which is usually an hour+
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm a triathlete, doing only short courses- sprint and standard- so my work outs consist of one swim, two bike rides, and two runs a week. depending on work, i tend to throw in an extra session of one every three weeks. (i.e. one week is swim heavy, one week is bike heavy, and one week is run heavy)

progression is the key to any work out plan. in weight lifting you will increase the weight every so often. in the beginning you'll be getting stronger every week!! but as you go further you will struggle to increase a lift by 10% every month.

I measure progressions by duration and distance. i did 37 miles the other day that completely gassed me, but they were hilly!! i'll probably be able to do 40 on friday and feel great, because i'm doing it on a flat road.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Lifting is three days a week, doing Starting Strength program - highly recommend it.
    Running/walking five days a week. It's how I get to and from work, at least part of the way.
    Stretching every damned day.
    Lots of yardwork on the weekend.

All told, it's averaged an hour a day - even when you include the time I couldn't work out at all due to surgery.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Mondays/Saturdays - Strength Training

Tue - Fri - Cycle to and from work (7.5 miles each way)

Wed - Usually a 6 mile run

Sat - Parkrun

Sun - Long run day - so far anything between 6 and 9 miles

If I'm up to it I'll also go for a run on either Tuesday or Thursday, but as I cycle it depends on my energy levels by the time I get home.

I also walk my dog for 2- 3 miles every day but I don't really count that.
  • dannystorah
    Options
    Mine is pretty hectic at the minute, I really want to get a good head start.

Training 6 days a week, each session focuses on 1 or 2 body parts. I do 4 Supersets, the first focusing on power, 5 reps per muscle group failing bang on the 5th, moving on to the 2nd body-part without rest.

The second Superset focuses on time-under-tension. 10 reps per body part with a very slow negative and a 1 or 2 second squeeze at the top of the movement. Again I look to fail on the 9th or 10th rep.

The third looks to get a greater muscle pump. 15 reps per muscle group aiming to reach failure around the 10th before a 5-6 second rest and completing that part of the superset.

By the 4th superset my glycogen levels should be depleted, so this is the 'fat-burning' superset. Using a lower weight I push out 20 reps with VERY minimal rest between supersets, and, once again, looking to fail a minimum of 75% of the way through the reps before a short rest and pushing the last couple through.

HIIT is performed 2 mornings a week and after 2 muscle workouts, usually abs and calves.

I feel like death coming away from these things but no other workout has made me feel so accomplished after just a couple of sessions. You just know your body will change with this work-out :)