Gluten free to help weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    NO

HAHA I love this response and I fully support it. There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to go gluten free unless you have been diagnosed by a medical doctor, following adequate testing, to avoid gluten. If you are having an immune response to gluten antigens you would very likely suffer from unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects each time you eat gluten containing products. So many people got swept into the "gluten sensitivity" fad and there is no medical evidence to support that gluten sensitivity even exists. Furthermore, in order to be tested for Celiac's disease (gluten intolerance) you still need to have gluten as a part of your normal diet in order for the test to be diagnostic.

Enjoy a gluten filled diet!! There is no reason to preclude gluten from your diet when its medically unnecessary--- it certainly won't make weight loss any easier. At the end of the day it's calories in vs. calories out!!
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Please don't be that annoying person that orders gluten free pasta at a restaurant when they don't have celiac disease.

I wish there was a like button for MFP posts!! Totally agree!! :bigsmile:
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I cook for a caterer. When we make our gluten-free baked goods, we are always adding more sugar -- quite a bit more -- to mask that icky, gooey, rice-y, gluten-free flavor.

We also usually add more icing or frosting or whatever -- all to mask that no-gluten flavor.

I can't imagine going gluten-free would help weight loss.
  • gizmo_2014
    gizmo_2014 Posts: 37
    Options
    A gluten free diet does not equal weight loss. There is no need to go gluten free unless you have an intolerance or are celiac. There is nothing bad about gluten for the average person.

I lose weight perfectly fine and eat a lot of gluten as it is in a lot of vegetarian meats and I use gluten flour to make my own seitan.

Gluten free foods do not mean less calories and a calorie deficit is what leads to weight loss.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Another coeliac here and have been for over 20 years. I was also 100lb overweight when I joined the site so for me gluten free does not equate weight loss.

Some people do lose weight especially if they don't replace bread etc with the gluten free options - we all should lose weight if we decided to replace 2 cookies with 2 apples.