new scales

Options
My new scales measure me 2lb lower than my old ones! Very annoying as I don't know whether to add 2lb on or just go with it (feelings like i've cheated) hmph....

Replies

• spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If that's the scales you're going with, then I'd say just take the 2lbs and go with what that one says from now on. Sometimes it's worth it to "cheat" a little- self esteem boost!

I'm thinking of getting a new one too. Mine only seems to register very specific weights- 124.6, 125.9, 127.2, etc. Meaning I never go up or down 0.1 or even 0.2, but it seems like whole 1.3 increments!

What scales did you get?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Stay with the new weight, just make a note in your journal about the new scale. I just got a new scale yesterday, and it is exactly 0.6lbs HIGHER than the old one. Hmpf! But the old one has one foot duct taped into place, so I can't continue using it, lol! Oh well, the scale is only a tool to measure progress. One blip in time means nothing in the long run.
  • Jenna9797
    Jenna9797 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My old scale used to measure a slightly different weight every time I stepped on it.

(I am talking about the morning "Dance of the Scale"; tap the scale, step up, wait, step down and groan, wait, tap the scale again, step up, wait, step down, see a *different* number, groan again, think 'the third time's the charm" and tap the scale, step up, wait, step down and hope that THIS time its the same number as one of the two previous numbers.)

I knew that couldn't be right because my Mom's scale (from Curves) measured the same weight every time. So I splurged and bought an expensive Weight Watchers scale. If I weigh twice in a row, it gives me the same weight both times.

I decided that the 2.6 pound INCREASE (in the numbers) was worth the accuracy.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, just track the trend lines. Weight doesn't matter in the end. :smile:

ETA: If it really bothers, try weighing something with a set weight, like a dumbbell. That will let you know if it's precise.
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks girls, I have gone with the new weight from this moment on. These scales measure body fat too and are bright pink ;) fab! I measure in stones and pounds (and it can tell u within 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of a pound) Great for motivation! I made a note on my calender when I changed to the new scales and I record my weight every day - It's really interesting to see the trend in weight loss (and gain sometimes!) x
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, just track the trend lines. Weight doesn't matter in the end. :smile:

ETA: If it really bothers, try weighing something with a set weight, like a dumbbell. That will let you know if it's precise.

This ^^^

Exact weight at a static point in time is not too material. Trends over the long term is what matters (ie - a general trend line of moving closer to goal if you're trying to lose; a relatively flat trend line if you're trying to maintain, etc). Individual data points along the way mean very little by themselves.