Advice on quicker recovery for sore muscles...

Options
sassynkp
sassynkp Posts: 148 Member
Would love to know any "tricks" to speed up the recovery. Started new workout and I am really sore. I am drinking lots of water and continuing with my workouts, but am worried that I will not have it all worked out in 2 days when it is time to work my lower body again. Would love to hear what works for you. Thanks ????

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Hot epsom salt soaks can help. You can also try some BCAA supplements. I personally love the soreness, though. I use it as a intensity gauge (though I know that's not always accurate) and get disappointed when I don't hurt enough the next day.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Exercise through soreness. Rest injury.
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Know sounds crazy but exercise is best medicine for soreness. Like get soda said though, injury requires rest.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If it is just soreness, many times working through it helps the most. On a rest day when sore, try at least just moving around. Sometimes some body weight exercises can help. If still sore on your next gym day, I normally lose all soreness by the time I am done with warm-up sets. If the pain happens during working out, that may indicate an injury, working out with injury pain can make the issue much worse. Appropriate rest is needed when injured.

Also this ↓↓↓
    Hot epsom salt soaks can help. You can also try some BCAA supplements. I personally love the soreness, though. I use it as a intensity gauge (though I know that's not always accurate) and get disappointed when I don't hurt enough the next day.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    initial soreness when you start a new program is common, just do something the next day to get the blood flowing . some things i do after a particularly hard workout are things like putting on compression gear, doing a light workout (ie splish splashy for 30 minutes in the pool, elliptical, easy walk, etc) and then a good stretch, getting a massage, taking alternating hot and cold baths/showers (works best at the gym if you have access to a jacuzzi), epsom salt baths
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I do a light recovery workout if the soreness is really bad.

My go to remedies are:
    - hot epsom soak
    - bcaas right after workout with your recovery shake
    - extra water
    - potassium pills
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    hot/cold contrast shower post workout
    stretch
    light activity next day
    stretch
    plenty of water

It gets better :smile:
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have 2 foam rollers. You can pick them up at walmart cheaps. Search youtube for how folks use them to work out muscle soreness, aches, and knots. My favorite one is a Rumble Roller. It does deep tissue style muscle work, helping to break loos the stuck/sticking muscle bands. Newbies to "rolling" will want to use a softer roller and work their way up to the firm ones.
  • Evelynnn2014
    Options
    I had extremely tight/sore hamstrings that water, stretching and massage weren't alleviating. So I discovered warm epsom salt baths. It worked amazingly well. Your body absorbs the (magnesium? ) topically, and that is what helps.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I find Calcium Magnesium supplements help, especially if taken right after the work out.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    if you're just starting then you may need more time to rest and then you're build up to doing it more often but...

-strecthing
    -massage
    -hot/cold showers
    -black cherry juice or V8
    -epson salt lotion
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For one thing, if you're new to fitness you're going to be sore and there's just no getting around it...that kind of soreness is temporary though...I may get a bit sore now and then, but nothing like when I was first into fitness.

Beyond that...

- stretch after your workout

- foam roller

- proper recovery nutrition (I generally have my protein and a low sodium V8 for potassium and the antioxidants...If I've had a long endurance bout on the bike I make a smoothie that has greek yogurt, a banana, and a handful of berries..again, good source of potassium and antioxidants and protein but high calories due to I burn around 1500 or more depending on my distance).

- properly scheduled rest/recovery days

- hot bath/shower
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    protein supplements (whey protein shake) before or shortly after a workout... and a cold shower to prevent lactic acid build up... the pain is your body's way of saying "Good JOB!!!" embrace it... and get used to it... the pain lessens as you become accustomed to putting your body through its paces...STICK with it.. it does get better.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    great thread...bumping it
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how much protein are you eating per day?
  • sassynkp
    Options
    Between 110-120 daily on the protein.
  • sassynkp
    Options
    Just curious, why black cherry juice?

Thanks so much for the responses. I did/ am doing the Epsom salts, water, stretching, keep working out/ moving thing. But am learning a lot more. I have had muscle soreness before but this go round took me back to high school two-a-days soreness- and let's just say I am not a teenager any more...????.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just keep working out through the soreness. Even if it's an easy/light workout, it will get the blood flowing and ease the soreness way better than anything else.

I've also found that since I'm now eating more fruits, vegetables and lean protein regularly, my soreness has decreased significantly from what it used to be. So if you find that soreness is a chronic issue, see if you can get more foods in your diet that can help.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Choc milk is supposed to be the perfect post workout drink as it has the blend of stuff you need to repair and recover.