C25K - if I can, anyone can!

Options
rikkejn
rikkejn Posts: 17 Member
Wanted to share to encourage others: Just completed my first 6.5k race!
42 years old who have never exercised (at least not since I was 14 or so). I always hated running, and couldn't do more than 3 minutes when I started in March. Discovered C25K and somehow got the running bug. I had to stop on two occasions for a week since I messed up my ankles doing jumping jacks (stupidly trying to do the 30DS at the same time), but wanted to carry on.

I have found that I am eating better (seems a waste to stuff bad things in my body after all that effort), sleeping better and generally stress less when I run. And everyone says I look great, too!

I am still really slow - around 8km/hr, but now training on a 10k in 60min programme with a target to get there in a year. Easy does it. So posting this if anyone needs encouragement or advice on getting started/completing C25K.

Top 5 tips:
- Run as slow as you can. You can always work on speed later
- Try to get outside. I did most of the programme on the threadmill and was amazed how much nicer running outside is
- Book a race ahead of time to motivate
- Don't worry about bad running days or weeks. Take a few days' rest if it feels too heavy. You'll get there eventually
- Get REALLY good shoes. I bought only 'decent' shoes, but it was only when I got very good ones that my ankles healed properly - and the whole experience was so much better with the new ones.

Replies

• allison7922
    allison7922 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My sister and I completed week one and are starting week two tonight. Thanks for the encouragement!! And, Congrats!
  • tropic80girl
    tropic80girl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Starting this program today. Thanks for sharing!
  • rikkejn
    Options
    Yay - keep going! Just added a few bits is original post as I found these critical.
  • stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've heard some really good reviews about this app. I'm thinking of giving it a go, but I can hardly run for a min without being all sweaty and out of breath :grumble: :blushing:
  • rikkejn
    Options
    I still get sweaty and out of breath. :laugh: Weird thing is that it is now enjoyable. But seriously, on my bad days I do 25 minutes now, and it used to be 90 seconds. So it works
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    As a C25K graduate, keep on keeping on. I've never been a runner before. In fact, I HATED running. Somewhere between week 1 and week 8 of C25K, I became a runner. One day I was excited that it was my running day and it hit me that I actually enjoy it.

I'm doing my first 5K on July 19th and have two more (so far) scheduled for this year. If I can do it, you can do it. Its all about sticking to the program even when its hard.

Go you!

Edited to add:
    I want to second, the going slow part. Don't worry about your speed yet. I wasn't running the 5k distance by the end of the program because I can't run a 10 minute mile. Just do the times for now to build up your endurance.

When you are done, look into other 5k training plans that are based on distance to get you to the 5k distance. Most will begin you at 1-1.5 miles in the first week and build from there. By the end of C25K, 1 mile will be a break from your regular workout. You'll get there. You can't become a runner in a day, so take your time!
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job! I am starting Week 4 tonight, a tad intimidated but I've found pushing through helps me be motivated for the next running day!

Great Job, Keep on Keeping On!
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    congratulations, i'm at the end of week 7 and love the feeling that i'm running

i think slowing down was the best advice i ever received, i'm fairly sure i'm running slower that i walk sometimes but i'm running all the same and the scales see pretty happy about it all
  • emalethmoon
    emalethmoon Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've heard some really good reviews about this app. I'm thinking of giving it a go, but I can hardly run for a min without being all sweaty and out of breath :grumble: :blushing:

Try it!

This was exactly me a few weeks ago. Running 90 seconds was killer!

Now, I'm about to start week 8 of the program. I can run 25 minutes non-stop. I'm super slow, but as they say, I'm lapping everyone on the couch.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Top 5 tips:
    - Run as slow as you can. You can always work on speed later
    - Try to get outside. I did most of the programme on the threadmill and was amazed how much nicer running outside is
    - Book a race ahead of time to motivate
    - Don't worry about bad running days or weeks. Take a few days' rest if it feels too heavy. You'll get there eventually
    - Get REALLY good shoes. I bought only 'decent' shoes, but it was only when I got very good ones that my ankles healed properly - and the whole experience was so much better with the new ones.

Thanks, I just finished week 1. I'm running on grass in the sunshine and enjoying it.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I bet it feels awesome to have finished that race!!

I'm on my 2nd round of c25k. I started last year and then had to quit running when I got pregnant. I've been back at it for 11 weeks, I think, going slow and repeating days as needed (since I started running just 4 weeks out from a c-section). I was never a runner either until I tried this program. I fell in love with running outside near my house where there are all kinds of trails.

Now running is my go-to thing when I'm stressed out. This morning, I went out and ran 1.63 miles without stopping. I couldn't tell you the last time I ran a mile without stopping. Maybe 30 years ago?
  • courtneyfnc
    courtneyfnc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! I am running w5d3 tonight...the dreaded 20 minute straight jog. I am looking forward to it!
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey all :)

Im currently on week 4 of this program and loving it!

I run really slow (6km/hr) and walk 4km/hr for the first day of the week and then build it up over the other 2 days.

I've signed up for Tough Mudder next June which is 12 miles of torture - please tell me I'll get faster!
  • loveby30
    loveby30 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yay! I just finished my first day of this program! I really want to like running and for the first time EVER after 30 min on the treadmill I didn't want to die or rip my lungs out.

Despite my "competitive push as hard as you can until you die" nature I listened to all of your advice and started off slow and followed the plan. Thanks rikkejn and all the rest for your inspiration and motivation! x
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Today was day 1, I wanted to run outside but rain put me on the treadmill. Thanks for the inspiration!! I look forward to my Spartan race in November :)
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love all the inspiration in this thread!

I never thought I'd be the kind of person who loved to run. And I definitely didn't love the idea of getting up and exercising before work. I'm not a runner. Even when I was in middle school, I did 12-15 minute miles.

Today, I finished week 4 of C25K. I woke up naturally at 5:30 am and hit the streets. It was a strange realization - waking up EXCITED to go for my run. My scale is happy, and the dog benefits too - she put on 4 lbs once the baby started eating (well pretending to eat but really just throwing it to the dogs) table food but she is back down to her normal weight.

It's also really fun to see my calorie goal jump up for the day, and get to "eat back" those calories... I got extra meat on my Subway sub today, thanks C25K! LOL.

Once I finish the program, I'm going to reward myself with good running shoes... I can't wait to go into the running store for the first time and get fitted for a pair! :)

If that wasn't enough, it's inspired my husband and I to do a few 30 day fitness challenges too. Which reminds me, I have dips to do ;)
  • rikkejn
    Options
    Wow - 12 miles - that's a challenge and a half. You will definitely get faster. I've gone from 30 sec runs at 7k/h to regular 30 minute runs at 8.1k/h in three months, including severe ankle injuries. I am now speed training. Basically I do my usual run, and inject a few sprints. I plan on doing a proper programme later in the year, when I am forced back on the threadmill (I live in the tropics, so humidity and heat makes it impossible to run outside).
  • madisonsmith1297
    Options
    I signed up for my first 5k in November. I'm hoping that within that time I will be able to complete the program and complete the color run! I'm really excited to become a runner. I have always been jealous of my younger brother who now goes on 12 mile runs almost daily.
  • 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Congrats.
    I'm at week 9, feeling great. I was thinking starting the C210K after will see, did my first 5K in 46 minutes.
    Another race on August 8 and in October 19.

Anyone can do it! Just do it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!