wine is my downfall:(

Options
Hi Everyone, just finished 6 days with mfp and am due to weigh myself tomorrow. I am early 60s, 5 ft 1 1/2 inches and retired early, so quite sedentery. Detest exercise with a passion have but always been conscious of keeping my weight about 9 stone 7lb. About 15 years ago got down to 9 st and looked scrawny so nine and a half seemed fine but constantly crept to 10stone.
Then went for a post op checkup in 2005 and weighed in at 10st 10lbs. Just about collapsed but I had been off work so suppose it was to be expected. Just crept up a dress size and decided it wasn't that bad. Have very occasionally weighed myself and went to about 11 stone so would try to watch what I was eating. I have always enjoyed a glass of wine, to relax after work but since retiring, and being in Spain, I drink a lot of wine. 3 to 4 bottles a week.

Soclothes getting impossible to get into, going on holiday in October, i weighted in last Wednesday. Practically had a fit, 12 stone, so prompted me to look for some diet aid and founf mfp:)

I really like the site and find it easy enough to complete. Have given myself 1200 calories a day but and this is my question, I just can't cut my wine out completely, so using 125 -180 cals on this per day. Will this stop my weight loss. And does this qualify me as having a problem?:(

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    No and no. Set a deficit calorie goal and stick to it. Just log your wine and make it fit into your calorie deficit goal.
  • ann2201
    ann2201 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks so much for the reassurance. i have logged everything, so tomorrow will tell:)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the reassurance. i have logged everything, so tomorrow will tell:)
    Uh.., 1 week isn't enough time to tell anything.
    Patience.
    My "journey" (whatever) over the last 2 years taught me that.
    From what you posted, you gradually gained over years. Don't try to lose it all in a few weeks. Also, you should eat at least 1200 calories.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I strongly feel that if I have to give up my wine I would lose my mind. I try and moderate and fit it into my calories for the day (or even week). At some point you may feel that it's starting to impede your results. Take a look again then and adjust. Maybe then you can only indulge on the weekends or at events.

Good luck!
  • ann2201
    ann2201 Posts: 3
    Options
    I strongly feel that if I have to give up my wine I would lose my mind. I try and moderate and fit it into my calories for the day (or even week). At some point you may feel that it's starting to impede your results. Take a look again then and adjust. Maybe then you can only indulge on the weekends or at events.

Good luck!

I am so glad that I am not alone in the battle of the vino:) Weighed in today at 11st 9 lbs so pretty happy with the first week. Now if I can just keep it up. Thanks for the support, I would go crazy without my wine too. I will watch though that it does count as my daily calorie allowance, but without going over my 1 or 2 small glasses.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, for me personally I realize that wine is the difference between me just doing alright and really doing well.....I have cut back considerably and only drink once a week now....I am going to try to quit completely next week (after the 4th of July weekend) and see if I can take it to the next level physically.
  • ShellF415
    ShellF415 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Beer is my downfall but I work it in. I don't believe that giving up the things we enjoy is sustainable.
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    What @benjammin said. Agree 100%
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No need to give up wine! I have wine most nights (the nights I don't go out and have beer!) and I work it into my calories. Easy peasy. I make sure I do some exercise every day, and the wine often comes out of that.

Good luck!
  • berry987
    berry987 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You know this may not be a popular response, but I was a wine drinker (started at one glass a night for about 5 years, then popped up to 2 glasses for another few years and in the last year started wanting 3 glasses a few nights a week). I attempted to cut back many times and was successful for long stretches (2-3 months), but the desire was always there after about 6pm. By most terms I didn't have a big alcohol problem, but I was tired of feeling like I had to reserve calories for alcohol and deep down, I knew it was a pretty strong habit. I read a book called "The Easy Way to Control Drinking" by Allen Carr and it changed my life and my perspective on alcohol. It's not for everyone - and if you're fine with your drinking then by all means keep doing what you're doing - but for anyone who truly would like to cut down and finds it hard, this is an amazing book. (Just so no one suspects - I'm not a paid endorsement or anything….just a mom of 4 kids who wanted to clean up her habits :)
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I count the calories in wine and beer just as I do in chicken and broccoli. I have been seeing a steady weight loss for about 10 weeks now, so I don't feel it has hindered me any.