Dealing with non-dieting spouses

Options
Anyone else in a position where you are very focused on getting healthy/losing weight and your spouse just isn't ready to take that same step for themselves?

Replies

• FauxFoxx
    FauxFoxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yep. It ended our relationship. He thought he was "healthy" because he was skinny... Even though he ate fast food multiple times a day with me.

Now I'm with someone who shares my love for fitness. <3 It's amazing how heavily it weighs on a relationship without you even realizing it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes! 6'3", 320 pounds of proof that he likes food.

He said he'd like to, but that he likes to eat and he just doesn't want to give up eating what he wants. Some people deny their eating habits, make up excuses or are always saying they "just started" trying to lose. Not him. "I like food." :)

I wish he'd lose because he's at the age where the heart attack that is sure to come could arrive anytime. But he simply doesn't want to deny himself the pleasure of eating what he wants. I know that if he survives a heart attack, he will change. I just hope he survives it!

I respect his honesty and his decision to eat whatever he wants, health risks be damned. But I worry. :(

It's no fun watching someone scarf down ribs when you're eating a no-fat turkey dog, sometimes. Not usually, but on occasion, it smells and looks so good that I'm jealous. :)
  • Imadorkable
    Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Anyone else in a position where you are very focused on getting healthy/losing weight and your spouse just isn't ready to take that same step for themselves?

At first yes, but now my husband has joined me on the band wagon. Just give it time. They will see the progress you are making and it will inspire them to become healthier. On the other hand, my mom and best friend are the enablers. Every time we get together they say, "Oh just give yourself a free day." I love them to death but it gets old having to put my foot down.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. He's definitely not focused on it, but since I prepare all our meals, he's lost weight without having to try. But he does pressure me for pizza, chinese, fast food, etc.
  • Wikeni86
    Wikeni86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hm well I am not married but I experience this with family members, too. Most of my family is supportive, which really, really helps, but then there are others who offer me candy and cookies and junk food they know I have a fondness for. Usually I can use it as a tool to test myself and remember that I'm stronger than cookies, or that if I really want one I CAN have one, but other times I just get kinda mad. It feels like they're tempting me to fail. Anyone else experience that?
  • mg1123
    mg1123 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I decided to try an elimination diet, I knew that changing my eating patterns and foods was going to make an impact on my boyfriend, but I waited until a couple days before I was about to start to tell him. He was very resistant at first, because he saw it as a huge change, and did not see what we could possibly eat. It did not take long for him to start asking me ahead of time what I could and could not eat. It helped that I explained to him why I was doing this and what I was hoping to accomplish.

He still eats junk food, but not as much, actually. He turns his nose up at some things I make, but he gets to grill various meats and fish, and sometimes eats the sides I cook, but other times eats his own. He has asked if the rice cooker/veggie steamer was going to be going all the time now! But overall, he has adjusted well. He does have things in the kitchen, like a box of Entenmann's donuts or things like that, but I am not tempted. Especially since all the junk food he eats tends to have something in it that I discovered I can no longer eat after my elimination diet (like dairy and peanuts).

He is fortunate that he can eat whatever he wants and not gain more than like 10 pounds. On the other hand, continuing to eat junk food does have the potential to cause other health issues.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me & my husband. But he is an adult, responsible for his own health/welfare. He knows he needs to make better choices and right now is not in the mindset to do anything about it. Its not a distraction for me.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me & my husband. But he is an adult, responsible for his own health/welfare. He knows he needs to make better choices and right now is not in the mindset to do anything about it. Its not a distraction for me.

bingo... he is a big boy... mine knows he will either eat whats in the house or what I cook or he can get something himself; however, I don't restrict myself from anything. I have had pizza the last 3 days LOL

If he wants junk food snacks, he has to go to the store and get it himself - seems to not happen as often lol
  • dnmoehring
    dnmoehring Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I very much struggle with this. I love my husband dearly, but he eats terribly. He is tall and naturally thin (even muscular which is so unfair since he never works out, lol) and tends to lose weight easily because of his job. I will try eating cleaner or healthier, and he will usually entertain the idea for a day or two, and then goes back to his old habits.

Seriously, congrats to those who aren't distracted by it. I hope I can be on that level someday. But he constantly brings home pop or candy for me, or picks up fast food before I can get home from work to make something. He isn't trying to sabotage me, just trying to be thoughtful which is what makes it a little harder.

I've been better the past few weeks. I ask him to bring me large waters and pretzels or pistachios now, and if he gets junk food I gave him a list of what I can eat at those places and that has really helped. Working around it can be hard, but with practice it gets easier!
    Good luck!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this and at times I give in to tempatations but the reality is you love your partner not their food You need to have a nutrional plan and will power

My habits are also SLOWLY rubbing off
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    my husband is skinny and not athletic .. he does his thing and i do mine .. we do stuff together but dont get in the way of each other's goals and interests. he doesnt say im proud of you or anything like that .. but i dont care .. im happy regardless and do not need him to be my 'ra ra' in order to do things i like to do. and to be honest i am happier getting kudos from my trainer who truly understand how hard it is to lose weight and appreciates my hard work
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I do the cooking, but I am only in control of my own portions. She's an adult and makes her own choices.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My husband has no intention of dieting, and would prefer that I don't.

My three young children are at very low weights for their heights, so a restrictive diet for them is absolutely not on the table.

I either eat smaller portions of what everyone else is eating and maybe add a bunch of veggies, save calories for meals at home, or prepare something slightly different than what they are eating - maybe grilled chicken if they are eating fried chicken, etc.

You have to truly believe that you are doing this for you and that you are willing to do what it takes for you to get to your goals regardless of what others around you are doing.
  • nicholelwolfe88
    nicholelwolfe88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My husband is only 5'6" and under 150. He has a very active job that keeps him on his feet for 10 hours a day minimum, so I know he does not need to lose weight. Although he could eat healthier for sure. Luckily most of what he likes (soda, fast food, pizza) aren't particularly appealing to me. My problem has always been how much I eat, not what I eat. Although admittedly I have eaten more fast food in the past few months (hence my 10+ pound weight gain) since starting a full time job and not knowing how to eat healthy on my newly busy schedule. But I actually enjoy a lot of healthy foods, so I am trying to get back to that way of eating again and cutting fast food out.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I very much struggle with this. I love my husband dearly, but he eats terribly. He is tall and naturally thin (even muscular which is so unfair since he never works out, lol) and tends to lose weight easily because of his job. I will try eating cleaner or healthier, and he will usually entertain the idea for a day or two, and then goes back to his old habits.

Seriously, congrats to those who aren't distracted by it. I hope I can be on that level someday. But he constantly brings home pop or candy for me, or picks up fast food before I can get home from work to make something. He isn't trying to sabotage me, just trying to be thoughtful which is what makes it a little harder.

I've been better the past few weeks. I ask him to bring me large waters and pretzels or pistachios now, and if he gets junk food I gave him a list of what I can eat at those places and that has really helped. Working around it can be hard, but with practice it gets easier!
    Good luck!

I really like your approach so you and your husband both get what you want, this is a great idea!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My husband has bad eating habits when left to his own devices and fortunately he acknowledges this, so when we got together he said I could have complete control of the food in the house. So I do. I do all the shopping and cooking and prepare healthy meals 90% of the time. Sometimes I'm just too busy so it's frozen pizza for dinner...but at least I make a big salad to go with it!

That said, he still eats too much. Granted it's not unhealthy processed junk food, but too much healthy food is still too much food. He needs to lose about 30 lbs and he knows it, but he refuses to track his calories. He basically starves himself all day and then eats non stop from the moment he gets home from work until he goes to bed. I've tried to talk to him about this but he gets annoyed and says he doesn't need a food police. He sees me weighing and measuring everything I eat, and he's seen me lose 73 lbs. For the sake of a happy marriage, I refuse to nag. I hope he'll change his ways on his own. :)
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and father of my 3 children is a great support but I weigh my food and he doesn't like it he says im obsessed and im not its just what I need to do to stay on track I deny myself unnecessary treats and he doesn't like it I love him and he has lost 11lbs because I portion our food yet he says he loses weight without measuring and weighing, he does because I do it for him!!!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It's no fun watching someone scarf down ribs when you're eating a no-fat turkey dog, sometimes. Not usually, but on occasion, it smells and looks so good that I'm jealous. :)
    My guy has lost about 20 pounds over the last several months and works hard to keep his calories less than he burns. He's never been one to scarf down food, such as you describe with your honey,and I actually learned how to eat well from him.

That said, why can't you have the ribs instead of that no-fat turkey dog? It's all about moderation and calorie restriction, not food type restriction.

Take a look at my diary. I haven't changed a thing since last year when I started eating less/moving more and changing my eating habits. However, changing my eating habits meant getting rid of the "substitutes" and low fat food and eating what I really love because I wanted my eating plan to be sustainable.

If you hand me that no fat turkey dog, I'll toss it to the dogs and prepare you four ounces of those ribs. :bigsmile:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Same here.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My husband is 50 and fit, he's never had a weight problem. He doesn't "diet"; he eats "unhealthy, processed food" and the other stuff, too.

Turns out that his body and his choices are his, not mine. He has a mother and I ain't her.