Busy moms, can you relate?

Options
Ok so we all have a list of excuses but here mine;

I work 4 ten hour days then come home to my busy 3 year old.

I cook (and clean up) dinner for my family

By the time dinner is done it's usually between 6-7 and by then i'm feeling pretty exhausted (who am I kidding, i'm exhausted during dinner and most days am just pushing through to get it on the table)

Then bedtime is between 8-9 and on bath days we start the routine earlier.

When I have the energy (which hasn't been lately) we go for a little walk or play in the yard (I run and play too to keep moving) but a lot of times i'm just too tired and want to sit on the couch and watch TV.

I don't like going to the gym for a few reasons. I feel like i'm gone so long which isn't fair to my family and I hardly see my daughter during the week as it is I don't like to be away from her. I also don't like having to drive there and back, I feel like its' wasting what little evening time I have, It's expensive when walking and running outside is free.

Anyways there's the dilemma. Can anyone relate? Can anyone share their secrets of success? OR maybe just commiserate so I don't feel so alone? :-)

Thanks friends xox

Replies

• Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    Single mom of 2... I can relate big time...

Yes, I've tried the gym thing after work before picking up from the sitter but like you, I feel bad not spending that time with them...

My only fix and also to ensure that it gets done, I do get on/off the wagon-- is to exercise before work. I get up 40-60 mins earlier and just do it. Yes, it's hard but once you get it out of the way-- you are glad you did. Surprinsingly, it also gives you more energy throughout the day. If not right away after a week or two...

That of course is weights that I have at home or home videos... I do have a gym membership but I save it for when I can actually go without feeling guilty.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Is there a husband or life partner that can share the workload?

My day is similar to yours, but I get a lot of help and support from my husband that has been critical to my success.

As for being too tired and/or exhausted to exercise, if you want to do it, you'll do it. You don't have to go to a gym to work out, and you don't have to work out to lose weight (if that's your goal). All those are tools to help you get there.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    In a similar boat, though my daughter is now 13 but I split my time between full time work, full time grad school, and home (and 13 year olds need lots of attention, too!). Just make the time. Do it for yourself. Do it now so that you have more time to spend with your family later on in life. I work out at home because I know that driving to/from a gym will be a deal breaker for me. My "gym" is at home and I am slowly adding equipment to it and expanding my exercise repertoire. Whatever you do, don't let excuses get in the way of your health!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Oh I can so relate. Work M-F full time. Wake my kids at 645, drop them off at daycare at 715, go to work, pick them up at 6pm, make and serve dinner, 30-60 minutes of family time, bath time, bed time, now it's 9 pm and I want to pass out but still have to shower and get clothes ready for me and the girls ready for the next day. That doesn't even take into account keeping my house clean which I've accepted it won't be totally clean for years to come :> My husband is great but usually works later than me and our girls are momma's girls. On top of that I am working on finishing my business degree. Sometimes I think about taking time for myself but feel guilty. Here's a few things that I have found helpful:

Sunday pick out & prepare clothes for the week
    Plan meals that are quick to make or do make ahead meals & use paper plates
    Find ways to multi task. For example I clean the bathroom, fold laundry, or catch up on email while the girls play in the bath
    Choose physical activity that the kids can do with you like going to the park or work out videos they can do with you
    Enlist kids in chores like picking up their toys or sorting laundry (but be careful with little ones near the washer/dryer)
    spend 30 minutes after work doing a quick clean up or me time (daycare is close to home so that helps)

At first I felt really guilty picking up my girls a little later but it turns out it makes our time better because I have had time to decompress and I am not thinking about all the housework that needs to be done. I am able to focus on just having fun with them.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Mom of a 2.5 y/o boy, full time student, and I work 30+ hours a week.

I get up and workout before my husband leaves for work, so I don't have to drag my son out of bed and take him with me. I get home, husband goes to work, and I have the whole morning to be with my son before I leave for work. I find that when I go before work, I have awesome energy and few food cravings throughout the day, but if I try to go afterwards, I have crap energy and can't do it. So I force myself up at 4:50 every morning to hit the gym, and it's ALWAYS worth it. I never regret it!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I feel like we could write the same life story.

I also work 4 ten hour days then come home to my busy 5 year old and 18 month old.

I also cook (and clean up) dinner for my family.

By the time dinner is done it's usually between 7-8 and by then i'm feeling pretty exhausted.

Then bedtime is between 7-9 (depending which kid).

I never have energy at night. I do not go to the gym. But I do get in some exercise (not much, but some). Here's how:

1. I have a 5lb weight at my desk I use periodically for bicep curls, and whatever else I can think of.

2. I have replaced my office chair with an exercise ball.

3. On my three days off, I take the kids with me for a walk. My 5 year old walks or rides her bike, but when she was 3 I just pushed her in her stroller.

4. I FORCE myself to do SOMETHING at night if I have gone over my calories for the day. I have an elliptical and watch some Youtube cardio videos.

5. I use the elliptical when the kids are napping.

6. I use the elliptical when the husband is playing video games.

7. I have more energy during the day when I eat wholesome foods.

Hope that helps!
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I feel you after just having my third kid I find it nearly impossible to fit in workouts but I just try to fit in the smaller ones 15 minutes here and there just to get some exercise in .
  • nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Totally sympathise. I try to exercise even if I feel tired, once the kids are in bed, or get up early instead. I find it reduces stress as i do something for me, and get some peace!
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have 5 between 1 and 10 and everyone is home all day every day. The first one is up at 6, the older ones are in bed at 9. My only chance are mornings. I get up at 5.15, and my husband takes the early riser until I am back. I find it exhausting. But exercise is a mood enhancer so everyone knows it is worth giving me that hour or I will be grumpy all day. And since everyone relies on me, it has to work out :)
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    WOW thank you to all the WONDERFUL ladies who offered advice. This is awesome!!!

I used to work out in the mornings, that lasted for about a month until we listed our house for sale. The world wind of events that happened after resulted in me going on a fitness hiatus. Now that we're settled in our new home (well mostly) I should start that up again. In fact, I've been bugging hubby to get me an elliptical. It's tough for me to get my *kitten* out of bed in the wee hours, I'm not even going to lie. However for a while I had a fitness buddy that would text me in the AM and we would motivate each other.

I've since been out of touch with her after deactivating my original account on here but if anyone is in EST and would be getting up around 5-5:15 AM maybe we can be texting buddies?

I think the working out in the morning would help as I do recall feeling more energetic during the day, and also feeling accomplished since I was already done and didn't have the "I have to workout tonight" cloud hanging over my head. I do need to make time to get some workouts in on my three days off tho, that for sure is key since on those days I have great energy, esp first thing in the AM.

I guess i'm being hard on myself. Some days are harder than others and I do have it pretty good when I start to count my blessings :-) And yea maybe I should have hubby help me more.

Thanks again ladies!!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I always say that exercise became my time creator. I have 4 kids, work full time and am working my way through nursing school as well. I do endurance running, so I am out there 1-3 hours a day. I had to make it all work.

-tag team dinners : sometimes I get dinner almost done and my husband finishes it off. So I will make the salad, brown and marinade the meat, get the burger patties made, have the pizzas ready to cook and in the fridge...that kinda stuff.

-totally premade dinners- there are some dinners I can have made while I cook breakfast. Crock pot is great for this but there are so many others. For example, I will get a big pack of chicken breasts cut in smaller pieces. I will make cutlets while I cook breakfast then stick those in the fridge, do up some rice, and make a salad...dinner then is just reheating. certain meals take better to this. also, I will keep a few breasts to the side after cooking and put those in the fridge for lunches (chicken caesar wraps or whatever)

-other food time savers: I have a container in the fridge of chopped up veggies for veggie omelets in the morning and I keep homemade pizza dough in the freezer at all times. Make school lunches the night before. When the kids are 7+, make them do it themselves. I havea simple rule. You get to eat what you want in your lunch when you make it. When I make it, you are stuck with rabbit food and water. ;) oh..see how they scurry to make a cool lunch!

-give the kids chores. Lots of them. It builds character, and you can workout while you supervise. it might seem harsh, but my 9 year old can clean bathrooms. :)

For working out, obviously the early morning things is key, but I also sneak in strength training at home. My husband is an athlete as well, so we work together. We have a pull up bar that goes into a doorway, so we might hang that up and then get out a few different weight sets. We turn on a show the whole family likes and take turns calling out exercises to each other. Sometimes we let the kids use their kindles during this time.

Also, never underestimate the power of having a Wii U. they can play games on the gamepad and thereby free up the TV for you to a workout video.
  • LULUREBEL
    LULUREBEL Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I completely understand... I work full-time, 40-60 hours a week depending on the month and I have two little ones. My husband is a huge help but I don't like to sacrifice time away from my kids. So I work out in the morning (if I have the energy) at home using DVDs and that has worked great for me. If I don't do it in the morning, I do it at after the kids go to bed. Or if my husband is bathing them, I work out at that time. Other ways to get some activity in - I've been walking on my lunch break at work or I take a stroll with the family after dinner. On the weekends, we do lots of outdoor activities with the kiddos so that has helped as well. Feel free to add me.
  • TXRanchGirl
    TXRanchGirl Posts: 303
    Options
    I work fulltime, 40 hours a week. I have a 13 year old son. my workout time is either early (5AM) or in the evening (only time I workout in the evening is if hubby is working late..I dont sacrifice family time for working out)

We also have a full ranch..I raise sheep, so morning and evenings are filled with feeding, cleaning pens, working the show string,ect. I am the lamb mentor for our county and run the 4-h club. I also organize shows thruout the year and am secretary for our local horse committee.

I still find time to make dinner, clean my house, do laundry AND workout. its balance and simply doing it.
  • potatogirl741
    potatogirl741 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am married but my husband works in TX and we live in MN. He is gone two weeks at a time so essentially I am a single mom to a very busy 14 month old the majority of the time. I work FT and I made the choice to work out before I go and get him at daycare every evening. It is important to my physical and mental health that I work out. Do I feel guilty for not spending that extra 45-60 mins with my little man? Of course but I am a better person and mom for it. Like a previous poster said, if it's important to you you just find a way to do it.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate and it's very difficult for me to have a structured exercise program...I just try to fit it in when I can. I am married, have 3 kids, and work full-time. My husband is an electrician in the winter and farms the rest of the time so he is gone a lot when I am home with the kids. I usually work out at home after the kids go to bed because I can't get up any earlier and I have to pick them up by 5:30pm every day from daycare. It's difficult sometimes but I really wanted to get in shape so I make it work when I can. :smile:
  • vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom too I have a 6 year old who is with me 7 days a week every day of the year... and I work 4 10 hour days also... so what I do is I tell myself i HAVE to workout for 30 min (right now its the 30 day shred) after my son goes to bed. Just 30 min... I do it .. and usualy after the 30 min I am motivated to do even more (usually walk for 30 or 45 min). Then I crash or do housework or whatever... I always had the excuse that I dont have time or energy but we can do pretty much anything for just 30 min right?
  • lbpears
    lbpears Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I'm a single mom to a 9 year old son. I work full-time at a stressful job that also requires me to travel. I have to force myself to workout before work or else it just won't get done. Some days I have to literally drag myself out of bed to do it, but I'm always glad I do. Normally I'm energized enough from the workout that I don't miss the hour or so of sleep too much. There are of course some weeks when I don't get in as many days as I should, but I try not to be too hard on myself and focus on the fact that those weeks I probably needed the sleep.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Married mom of three.

Full time job.

Graduated graduate school last year, graduated law school this year.

Studying for the NY bar exam.

I prepare healthy meals and run. Every. Single. Day.

Stop making excuses. You want it? Do it.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Being a working mom is the hardest thing EVER. I work 8 to 4:30 with about a 45 minute commute. At my last job, I worked out on my lunch break. At this job, I have switched to working out in the morning. (I am still practicing at the getting up early thing.)

I do not feel guilty about time I spend on myself. I just don't. I am trying to be a healthy person. I am trying to model healthy habits. And when I take care of myself, I am a better mom. I spent all day Saturday at a race, which means I did not see much of my kids that day. But now my oldest is asking when HE can do a race like that. <3 Then Sunday, I took him to the movies for some special time together.

I do a lot of sammiches for dinner. Lol! We grilled up some meat and veggies last night - that was easy. When I make meals, I make big ones and eat left overs for lunches and dinners later in the week.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate. I'm a single mom of two and I work a full time job and a part time job. I find the best time to get my workouts in are either 4-4:15am or after the kids go to bed, 8:15-8:30. I know it's one extreme to the other, very early in the morning or later at night but I do what I have to do to get my workouts in. When I workout at night I will usually have a cup of sleepy time tea to help me wind down some so I can sleep.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm also on EST time. Hope it gets better for you.