No rest days during the week

Options
Any advice on this topic? My husband is doing PRT 5 days a week after being mostly inactive for the last year following his surgery. So, in addition to his normal routine (stairs, walking, whatever he does lol) 5 days a week, 1 hour a day, mostly sprints, leg drills, and body weight exercises. While this was normal before his injury, he's certainly not in the right shape to sustain it after a year of attempting to recover. So, is there anything that he can do to help recover without actually being able to take a rest day during the week?

Replies

• DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    Final bump, and then I shall let the question die. :laugh:
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Not taking a day to rest is pure idiocy, period.

With age comes more recovery time, it's science, despite what other bro-science anyone else says on here.
  • workshardplaysharder
    Options
    How long has he been doing this for or is it something he just started? How 'out of shape' is he? Does HE feel he isn't in the right shape to sustain the workout? Honestly it's his body and he can determine whether or not he can sustain it and/or do it. And to answer your question about rest days during the week I take them when I'm too sore, tired or just don't feel like going to the gym. Typically though the weekend serves as my rest days.

What does his doctor say about the workout he is doing?
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    He's doing this 5 days a week... so he's taking the whole weekend off, right? Sounds like 2 rest days to me :) I'm sure that he knows his limits, and if things start going poorly, he'll back it off and stagger his rest days or take an extra one. You've just gotta trust his instincts.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    Not taking a day to rest is pure idiocy, period.

With age comes more recovery time, it's science, despite what other bro-science anyone else says on here.

I'm sure that response would go over well with his leaders. :laugh:
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    How long has he been doing this for or is it something he just started? How 'out of shape' is he? Does HE feel he isn't in the right shape to sustain the workout? Honestly it's his body and he can determine whether or not he can sustain it and/or do it. And to answer your question about rest days during the week I take them when I'm too sore, tired or just don't feel like going to the gym. Typically though the weekend serves as my rest days.

What does his doctor say about the workout he is doing?

He was doing it for about a month, and has had the last few weeks up. He's due to start again once the schedule clears up enough for him to do so. He doesn't have the option to just "not do it" or "rest when he wants." Army. This is why I'm asking what he can do to help his recovery, without actually being able to just take a day off. He was mostly sedentary for about a year due to his injuries, so everything they're doing is comparatively intense for him. It's, unfortunately, not about what he determines as being best for him, he doesn't have that option.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    He's doing this 5 days a week... so he's taking the whole weekend off, right? Sounds like 2 rest days to me :) I'm sure that he knows his limits, and if things start going poorly, he'll back it off and stagger his rest days or take an extra one. You've just gotta trust his instincts.

I wish I could edit my OP to add: "He's in the Army, and doesn't have a choice on this matter." :laugh:
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I only take one rest day a week I am 39 weigh 366 and I walk at least two miles every day and on saturdays we swim for several hours at the beach. Sunday I try to really rest. I even take a nap sometimes! :)
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If he needs it he can get a profile. PRT is not super intense, and you can still for the most part go at your own pace. Like has been said, he knows his limits. If he passes them, he can get a profile.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I wish I could edit my OP to add: "He's in the Army, and doesn't have a choice on this matter." :laugh:

An Army "rest day" is when the Sergeant picks you up by the collar, sets you on your feet, and screams "IT AIN'T BROKEN NOW, IS IT?" I'm sure he'll get plenty of those. Military science, hooah!
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    I only take one rest day a week I am 39 weigh 366 and I walk at least two miles every day and on saturdays we swim for several hours at the beach. Sunday I try to really rest. I even take a nap sometimes! :)

He's plenty active while he's at work. Multiple flights of stairs per day, swimming a few times during the week. Mile + walk to and from work depending on the day. His injuries complicate matters for him, and the Army PRT program is leaps and bounds above where his current fitness level is. They do their "day of hell" for legs on Monday, and then runs daily, plus all the body weight exercises, "core" exercises (read: situps), etc. For his fitness level, his best option would be to rest every couple of days until he gets in better shape, but that's simply not an option for him.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    If he needs it he can get a profile. PRT is not super intense, and you can still for the most part go at your own pace. Like has been said, he knows his limits. If he passes them, he can get a profile.

Full profile would limit his options for promotion and reenlistment, so that's not an option. He opted for the partial and is just pushing through to pass the next PT test. Their PRT is intense. Especially considering that people in the program aren't in the best shape. It's not standard PT like he had at his previous duty station. There is no "go at your own pace" with this program. It's more "go until you start to pass out, then go some more." I get that soldiers gotta soldier, that doesn't mean I can't try and find ways to help him through it.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    53c1279a16512b0cb4ad7affa4d8d0db.jpg

But seriously, I train 5 days a week when cutting (Mon-Fri). I will be training 6x per week when I get back up to full bulk calories in August. It's not a big deal.