Yippee- It's my 1st fitversary! (with pics)

Options
allycolli
allycolli Posts: 28 Member
I have read so many success stories during this past year to inspire me and now it's my turn to share about my journey.

I've always been a thickish girl and while I didn't like it, I never really did much about it. When I was 34, I tried for the first time to lose weight. I was a mom of 2 kiddos and my weight had gone up from my pre-pregnancy weight of 187. I began logged calories and went to the gym to do power and aerobic classes. I started at 196 lbs and wanted to lose 10%/19 lbs which I did within 4 months. But then, I stopped and gained the weight back.

Three years ago, my dr said I was in the pre-pre-diabetic range and urged me to lose weight. I was at my highest ever at 225 lbs. I started eating with the glycemic index in mind and walking. Within 4 months, I lost 33 lbs. At a follow up, my glucose was much lower. The weather was also cooling down. I stopped being so mindful about my food intake, stopped exercising, and the weight came back.

I didn't have the heart to start trying again for a while. Last summer, I kept thinking about it, but lacked any internal motivation. Then, I saw a picture of myself from a family party and I knew it was time to change my life for good. I started logging calories, eating much more fruits and vegetables, cutting out carbs, and sugar. I was walking and spinning for exercise. Like always, the weight came off in the first 4 months. But then I stalled right before Thanksgiving. I kept exercising, but wasn't being careful with what I ate. I gained some weight back and stayed on the plateau through December and January. In early February, I injured my knee. It was stressful to not be able to exercise, but it helped me to refocus on what I was eating. When I could start working out again in March, I started weight lifting and being more careful with my diet.

It's now been a year and though I haven't reached my goal of 33%/73 lbs, I've lost 59 lbs and feel great!

SW: 222
CW: 163
GW: 149

For exercise, I spin 3 mornings a week, go to a circuit training class 2-3 times a week, do some weight training on my own, and also walk/jog. I eat about 1240 calories and do eat some exercise calories back when my day includes heavier lifting and it is typically just a protein shake post-workout.

Things I've learned this past year:
- stay on the journey and work through the plateaus
- challenge myself to do more by increasing intensity and weights
- people will generally be positive and encouraging, but there will be haters as well
- getting male attention is new and awkward for me - ha!
- don't allow exercise calories to become "I can eat whatever I want" calories
- weight loss isn't linear and your body doesn't understand your timeline, so just do your best and be grateful for success as it comes

Here are my before pics:

221a625c86ad4e9590c0f522e79a0352_zps658ea838.jpg

a20ba5cf3444fae257dd1a1dbc197701_zpsa0b5c696.jpg

698544fd37d45154083ea985819ba996_zpsa5cff155.jpg

The picture that started the journey.

These are pics taken by my trainer in my circuit training class:

c23b0818-4e90-4cf0-94f9-764ab54b3ee3_zps31e5b7dc.jpg

a66af647-6e92-4bdb-9139-1279a49de28e_zpsd1154ac8.jpg

99fef0e9820c4218bbfe1bb0f096329d_zpse6e8791c.jpg

This picture was taken on Saturday. I changed my Facebook profile to this and was stunned by the amount of comments from friends about my metamorphosis.

affd9bff-286c-4e9f-a79e-7cb59a9123a3_zps63c3e4eb.jpg

It's been such a wonderful, challenging, rewarding, and amazing journey. I'm 44 and am in the best shape of my life. One day, I hope to post that I'm moving into maintenance, but until then, I will keep eating right, working out hard, and embrace life.

Best of luck to all of you who are changing your lives as well each day.

Replies

• MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    OMG girl you killed it! You looked beautiful before but you look even better now!! Keep up the AWESOME work :)
  • tskvaughn
    tskvaughn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! Congratulations. Hard work pays off!
  • mscleo1115
    mscleo1115 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Keep this up and you'll be at your goal in no time! :)
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Incredible transformation! Great work!
  • JenniferOBX4
    Options
    Congrat! Great job at sticking with it!
  • glenverrier
    glenverrier Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! You look wonderful! True inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
  • dan_boisvert_sub5x50
    dan_boisvert_sub5x50 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic. Congratulations!
  • ckrame0016
    ckrame0016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look fantastic - thank you for sharing.
  • Lost_in_Transformation
    Options
    You look amazing! Great job just doing what you're doing!
  • siobhanmarie440
    siobhanmarie440 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well done, that's amazing!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look stunning! Great job and thanks for sharing!
  • nlg1974
    nlg1974 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Just what I needed to see today when I am feeling distinctly unmotivated!!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    You're killing it, girl.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You're doing great! :drinker:
  • ALambino
    ALambino Posts: 22
    Options
    Excellent! Congratulations, today has been one of those day where I have felt like saying *kitten* it but reading your tips has made me realize I need to maintain my focus! Thank you for sharing!!
  • novagirl55
    novagirl55 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Great job!
  • hill2423
    hill2423 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! You look amazing....keep pushing!!!!
  • Melij
    Melij Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!! Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic work!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You look stunning! Awesome progress! Awesome changes to your life and mind set!

Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!