Healthy Alfredo Recipes Anyone?

Options
rifadiva
rifadiva Posts: 27
The hubby's birthday will be here in a couple of weeks. I would like to make him chicken && shrimp alfredo. I do not want to use heavy cream. Is there any substitutes I can use for heavy cream? Any healthy recipes?
TIA

Replies

• Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You could make a version with reduced fat this and reduced calorie that...but it's gross. I eat cauliflower-alfredo. It's amazing. I steam it and then puree it until it's super smooth with some milk (I use almond, but whatever you like). Then I flavor it with garlic, onion, even cajun spices sometimes. It is a flavorful, white, creamy sauce that is super healthy!!! Here's one recipe I found but there are a ton of variations: http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-sauce
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Replace some or all of the cream with milk. Heavy cream has 821 cal per cup. Light cream has about 700. Whole milk has about 150. Using half light cream and half whole milk will give you sauce that's still rich, without as many calories.

If you want to go really low cal you can try the sauce from this white lasagna.
    ( http://www.livebetteramerica.com/recipes/healthified-creamy-ricotta-artichoke-lasagna/1e6e6214-a8c2-45cd-a16c-997cd35e1fb3)

I would recommend adding some chopped garlic , a pinch nutmeg and a little bit of fresh grated parmesan/pecorino because it's bland as written.
  • rifadiva
    rifadiva Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! I was wondering if I could replace all the milk. I usually use evaporated milk ( I can only tolerate that type of cow milk) or get half and half to make the Alfredo sauce. I am trying to make it as close to being authentic for him.
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I really like Cooking Light's version: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/fettuccine-alfredo-00420000014471/ Very yummy and I serve it to the family and they love it.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Silken Tofu + White Miso Paste + Garlic + Herbs

Blend, heat, and enjoy. It is delicious and while not exactly alfredo sauce, it is very close.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You probably want to make it homemade..but if you don't, Bertolli has a light version of alfredo (I never thought "light alfredo" was possible!)...I think it's pretty good! Only 50 cals for 1/4 cup!
  • NewTeaPot74
    NewTeaPot74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having some today, but I'm no chef and it's from a jar - Bertolli Light Garlic Alfredo, 100 cal. per 1/2 cup. :D

^ timing, LOL!
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've heard of making alfredo with greek yogurt - has anyone tried this? if so, recipe??
  • iasue
    iasue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know I have a recipe in a Low Fat Pampered Chef cookbook that I have at home for a shrimp alfredo - I will check at home and try to copy it for you. However, I did look online for it and found a similar recipe for the alfredo sauce. Using the low fat cream cheese and skim milk you could cut down the calorie count even more with this recipe.

Creamy Garlic Alfredo Sauce
    Ingredients:
    4 garlic cloves, peeled
    3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
    4 oz (125 g) cream cheese, cut into cubes

1 cup (250 mL) milk
    2 oz (60 g) Parmesan cheese, grated
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground black pepper
    Directions:
    1. Place garlic on cutting board. Using Garlic Smash & Paste, flatten garlic and use a rocking motion until garlic is a smooth paste-like consistency.
    2. Melt butter in (2.75-qt./2.6-L) Saucepan over medium heat; add garlic paste and cook 60-90 seconds or until fragrant (do not brown). Add cream cheese; whisk until smooth. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Bring to simmer.
    3. Stir in cheese and pepper until completely incorporated. Cook sauce 5-7 minutes or until reaches desired thickness, stirring occasionally. Serve over pasta.
    Yield: about 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)

Nutrients per serving: (about 1/4 cup/50 mL sauce): Calories 180, Total Fat 15 g, Saturated Fat 9 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Sodium 280 mg, Carbohydrate 4 g, Fiber 0 g, Protein 6 g
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a completely fat free alfredo recipe I use. My recipe serves two, but of course you can just multiply it by however many people if you need more. It consists of the following:

- 2 tbsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (or other fat free butter substitute)

-4oz fat free cream cheese

-1/4 cup fat free shredded mozzarella

-1/4 cup skim milk (add more if you want a thinner sauce, but my hubs and I like it thick). Weirdly enough, I ran out of milk once and forgot to buy more, so I just kind of substituted water in to thin the recipe out, and honestly... I couldn't tell the difference. So in a pinch, if you don't want milk, you can use water. The taste in the recipe is mostly carried by the cream cheese and the spices you put in.

-Generous pourings of whatever spices you like (I use garlic, pepper, Italian seasoning, and parsley). Sorry I don't have a specific measurement for this, I just kind of dump until it looks like there's enough, and different people like different spices in theirs, anyway.

It may not be necessarily "authentic," but it is extremely good. My husband loves Alfredo night, and the whole thing only has 2g of fat per serving from the fettuccine pasta I use.

*Edited to add, I just heat it in a saucepan until everything is melted together.
  • tinyvesselsmakesgains
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and swear by this cauliflower alfredo recipe!! I add a little bit of nutritional yeast and grated Parmesan, plus some spices, and it is SO GOOD, plus you get some veggies in there and your tastebuds don't even know it!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/06/creamy-cauliflower-alfredo-sauce/

1 1/2 cups raw cauliflower (160g)
    1/4 tsp garlic powder, or 2 tsp minced
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (depending on your taste preference for salt – I like 1/2 tsp)
    2 tbsp butter spread of choice, such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light (or sub 2 tbsp olive oil and a little extra salt if needed) (30g)
    1 cup milk of choice (240g)
    optional: 1/2 cup of either of the following: nutritional yeast or mozzarella-style shreds (such as Daiya)
    optional: Add a little Dijon mustard or lemon juice if desired. Or sometimes I add dried oregano or rosemary.

Put all ingredients into a medium pot and bring to a complete boil, then cover and simmer 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is fall-apart tender. Pulverize with either an immersion or regular blender. Serve over cooked linguine, or elbow pasta (for cauliflower mac and cheese), or spaghetti squash, rice, steamed veggies, or whatever! Makes about 2 cups, and it gets much thicker as it sits.
  • AngelaKoder
    Options
    I don't have any recipes for the sauce like you are requesting. I do however use shirataki noodles though. (made our of chickpea and other veggies) they taste like reqular noodles but only have 30 cals for the whole pkg. Will be helpful in lowering the overall cal count for the whole meal.
    Hope this helps. :)
    Angela
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    "Laughing Cow Alfredo" is the bomb. The recipe's been around for several years and I see Laughing Cow now has a version on their site. Wedges of Laughing Cow cheese and a little skim milk is really all it needs. Add some good parmesan and he should be happy.

Here's the "official" recipe from their site: http://www.thelaughingcow.com/recipes/the-laughing-cow-alfredo/
  • tinyvesselsmakesgains
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and swear by this cauliflower alfredo recipe!! I add a little bit of nutritional yeast and grated Parmesan, plus some spices, and it is SO GOOD, plus you get some veggies in there and your tastebuds don't even know it!

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/06/creamy-cauliflower-alfredo-sauce/

1 1/2 cups raw cauliflower (160g)
    1/4 tsp garlic powder, or 2 tsp minced
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (depending on your taste preference for salt – I like 1/2 tsp)
    2 tbsp butter spread of choice, such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light (or sub 2 tbsp olive oil and a little extra salt if needed) (30g)
    1 cup milk of choice (240g)
    optional: 1/2 cup of either of the following: nutritional yeast or mozzarella-style shreds (such as Daiya)
    optional: Add a little Dijon mustard or lemon juice if desired. Or sometimes I add dried oregano or rosemary.

Put all ingredients into a medium pot and bring to a complete boil, then cover and simmer 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is fall-apart tender. Pulverize with either an immersion or regular blender. Serve over cooked linguine, or elbow pasta (for cauliflower mac and cheese), or spaghetti squash, rice, steamed veggies, or whatever! Makes about 2 cups, and it gets much thicker as it sits.

I forgot to mention that you can freeze this also! I separate mine into 1/2 cup portions, freeze, thaw, and toss in a saucepan for a minute or two to re-heat with some sauteed veggies.
  • ckrame0016
    ckrame0016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    great posts!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump to save
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am in to try a few of these recipes. I long ago wrote off Alfredo sauce because it is so scary nutritionally and I just figured I could live without it.
    I was just thinking yesterday about making a Chicken Alfredo Pizza for my dad's birthday dinner but then told myself no. Looks like it gets to be back on the menu. Perfect timing!
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Low Cal Fettuccine Alfredo! :)

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
    2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup low-fat (2%) milk
    Kosher salt
    2 tablespoons Neufchtel or low-fat cream cheese (Laughing Cow could be a great option too!)
    3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    12 ounces fresh fettuccine
    Freshly ground pepper

Directions
    Make the sauce: Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon zest and cook until the garlic is slightly soft, about 1 minute. Add in the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon,1 minute. Whisk in the milk and 3/4 teaspoon salt and cook, whisking constantly, until just thickened, about 3 minutes. Add the Neufchatel and parmesan cheese; whisk until melted, about 1 minute. Stir in the chopped parsley.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta and return to the pot.

Add the sauce and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water to the pasta and gently toss to combine, adding more cooking water as needed to loosen. Season with salt. Divide among bowls and top with parmesan and pepper.

Per serving (recipe makes 4): Calories 490; Fat 15 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 48 mg; Sodium 734 mg; Carbohydrate 66 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 20 g

You could easily add grilled chicken and/or shrimp for an awesome birthday dinner! Hope this is helpful! :)
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas......