giving in to REALLY changing what i eat *defeated head hang*

Options
jbug5j
jbug5j Posts: 277 Member
okay so i have always disliked seriously limiting what i can eat but even if i only do it until the wedding (august 30 and who knows i might enjoy it) i need some kind of menu that is no/low carb, no sugar, low salt <-- this one is a biggy, and high in whatever will make me feel full! if anyone has any links or suggestions message/comment please! after work my fiancee and i are walking another 2 miles. i twisted my ankle yesterday during my first run/walk of 2 miles but i am NOT letting that stop me :) thanks!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    okay so i have always disliked seriously limiting what i can eat but even if i only do it until the wedding (august 30 and who knows i might enjoy it) i need some kind of menu that is no/low carb, no sugar, low salt <-- this one is a biggy, and high in whatever will make me feel full! if anyone has any links or suggestions message/comment please! after work my fiancee and i are walking another 2 miles. i twisted my ankle yesterday during my first run/walk of 2 miles but i am NOT letting that stop me :) thanks!
    If you want something that focuses on healthy eating, and actually teaches you to eat healthy you could consider something like South Beach. There's a semi-strict first phase that is optional (but helps with sugar cravings), that doesn't allow fruit and grains for two weeks. And then you settle in to a fairly easy to follow approach. It's NOT low carb, but is "slow carb". He gives you a list of foods to eat (most vegetables, lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, seeds, and in phase 2 fruits and whole grains, and wine with dinner if you want that). You don't have to count carbs. And you only count calories if you want to. There's a simple (free) phone app if you want to quickly check that something is good to eat for the phase you're on. Because you're eating fewer heavily refined convenience foods you're eating less sodium. So that could help there too.
    Or you could try to limit carbs if that's something you're keen to try.
    Regardless, good luck finding something that works for you, but DO consider trying to find something you can sustain so it's not just a short term fix.
    cheers!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    to start off, if were strictly speaking fat loss then you can eat whatever and still lose at a calorie deficit. however, some people find it easier to cut carbs and sugar and whatnot, and these things do have an effect on water retention.

if you want specific advice for low-carb/sugar eating i would recommend searching the groups, you'll get more advice from people there who have experience in these types of diets. otherwise all i can say is keep to a reasonable deficit and exercise so you dont lose too much muscle mass in the process
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you want something that focuses on healthy eating, and actually teaches you to eat healthy you could consider something like South Beach. There's a semi-strict first phase that is optional (but helps with sugar cravings), that doesn't allow fruit and grains for two weeks. And then you settle in to a fairly easy to follow approach. It's NOT low carb, but is "slow carb". He gives you a list of foods to eat (most vegetables, lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, seeds, and in phase 2 fruits and whole grains, and wine with dinner if you want that). You don't have to count carbs. And you only count calories if you want to. There's a simple (free) phone app if you want to quickly check that something is good to eat for the phase you're on. Because you're eating fewer heavily refined convenience foods you're eating less sodium. So that could help there too.
    Regardless, good luck finding something that works for you, but DO consider trying to find something you can sustain so it's not just a short term fix.
    cheers!

This ^^ South Beach is a good diet if you want a structured diet. It is restrictive, but not overly. It's sensible.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Why low carb, sugar, salt? Were you recently diagnosed with a medical condition restricting you from those type of foods? If not, you need to read up on how real weight loss happens.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When I went low carb i usually aimed for a breakfast of egg (or egg beaters) w/ cheese, tomato, avocado (could add peppers, onions, mushrooms, ham, sausage, bacon, etc) the fat and the protein helps keep you full ; for lunch I would make roll ups of lunchmeat, cheese and lettuce...or a salad w/ some of the stuff listed above ; and Dinner I aimed for a lean meat (ground sirloin burger, no bun..chicken..pork...turkey..etc) with less starchy veggies (broccoli and spinach mostly).
    When you first start out restricting carbs, you may feel extra sluggish and probably shouldn't push exercise to hard as your body makes the necessary adjustments. You will likely see a quick weight loss, but understand that the majority of that is tied to water weight as opposed to fat...make sure that you keep your water intake up and take a multi vitamin!
    Or you could avoid all of this and just count your calories as accurately as possible, log everything that goes into your mouth and eat at a deficit and lose (while enjoying bread, potato, pasta, corn, etc in moderation)
  • jbug5j
    Options
    cheers!

This ^^ South Beach is a good diet if you want a structured diet. It is restrictive, but not overly. It's sensible.

Thank you! I will look this up. :)
  • jbug5j
    Options
    Why low carb, sugar, salt? Were you recently diagnosed with a medical condition restricting you from those type of foods? If not, you need to read up on how real weight loss happens.

I have been researching on how to lose inches as well if not more than weight and carbs and sugar is what keeps popping up. As forsalt my ccholesterol is a little high and It's more common sense. I eat a lot of salt and it's something that I have trouble with. I know how "real weight loss happens" I'm only asking for food suggestions.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    cheers!

Thank you! I will look this up. :)
    If you go this approach, feel free to ask me questions.

PS: SB was developed by a cardiologist. If that matters.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

I have been researching on how to lose inches as well if not more than weight and carbs and sugar is what keeps popping up. As forsalt my ccholesterol is a little high and It's more common sense. I eat a lot of salt and it's something that I have trouble with. I know how "real weight loss happens" I'm only asking for food suggestions.

carbs spike your insulin ...the idea is to keep your blood sugar stable all day and cravings down by restricting to proteins and fats. Drinking water is also key.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. Check it out. You need fat and carbs, and the transformations eating this way are amazing. Also: See the IIFYM Women Facebook page. You can still eat what you want, you won't be hungry, if you follow it correctly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

carbs spike your insulin ...the idea is to keep your blood sugar stable all day and cravings down by restricting to proteins and fats. Drinking water is also key.
    Which is why I referenced "slow carb" earlier. Choosing carbs that don't spike insulin can be helpful for some folks. It certainly was/is for me.
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. Check it out. You need fat and carbs, and the transformations eating this way are amazing. Also: See the IIFYM Women Facebook page. You can still eat what you want, you won't be hungry, if you follow it correctly.

^this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cheers!

Agreed...my diet (noun) is largely inspired by the Mediterranean diet which is pretty similar. I still eat some junk to be sure, but most of my diet (noun) consists of heaping helpings of vegetables (cooked in numerous ways), lots of lean protein from fish and chicken and lean cuts of beef and pork, healthy fats from things like nuts and olives and avocados and certain oils...plenty of legumes and a smattering of grains.

For me this works out to be a pretty well balanced diet that is rich in nutrition with lots of tasty food and not overly restrictive. I don't follow any prescribed plan to a "T" but rather use things like SB and the Med as inspirations to move away from the SAD.
  • dkemple1
    dkemple1 Posts: 65
    Options
    I would like to suggest that you check out the Engine 2 diet. Engine2diet.com

They support eating a truly healthy diet that is plant strong, cutting out animal products. You talk about wanting to eat so you can feel full and that is what you can do when you eat a plant strong diet. If you really want to change what you eat, you should really check this out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    cheers!

Agreed...my diet (noun) is largely inspired by the Mediterranean diet which is pretty similar. I still eat some junk to be sure, but most of my diet (noun) consists of heaping helpings of vegetables (cooked in numerous ways), lots of lean protein from fish and chicken and lean cuts of beef and pork, healthy fats from things like nuts and olives and avocados and certain oils...plenty of legumes and a smattering of grains.

For me this works out to be a pretty well balanced diet that is rich in nutrition with lots of tasty food and not overly restrictive. I don't follow any prescribed plan to a "T" but rather use things like SB and the Med as inspirations to move away from the SAD.
    Great post. I actually started my weight loss adventure looking for alternatives to the SAD. Mediterranean was one of the first I looked into.... and I began learning to eat, and losing weight. The SB diet book was released just as I was really getting into things and I read it as well. Much of it resonated with me as a logical, healthy way to eat. I don't follow it to a "T" either (or med), but both make up the bulk of my thinking on diet (noun) these last 12 years. I added a bit of Joel Fuhrman's thinking (even more emphasis on fruits and vegetables) as well.
    Of course, for me it all boils down to: Eat (real) food, not too much, mostly plants.
    cheers
  • martyqueen52
    Options

Clearly you are very misled. Weight loss happens from a caloric deficit, not avoiding macro and micro nutrients. That void carb and sugar crap is pure bro science with no real scientific backing what so ever.
  • martyqueen52
    Options

Loaded with bro-science, your brain is.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    carbs spike your insulin ...the idea is to keep your blood sugar stable all day and cravings down by restricting to proteins and fats.

There's not an accurate statement. Both proteins and carbohydrates cause insulin levels to rise, and the amount varies by type of food. Some carbohydrate foods have low insulin scores.

To control hunger, it's best to look for foods that have a high satiety score -- satiety is the feeling of fullness after a meal. Meats in general tend to have high satiety scores (fish is very high), but so do some carbohydrates, such as oatmeal, potatoes, apples, and whole-wheat pasta. High-fat foods generally have low satiety scores, because they are calorie-dense and not very filling.

Do low-carb if you want. I've done it in the past, and it works, but you've really got to want to eat that way long term; otherwise, you're likely to gain the weight back after you stop. I find it much easier to maintain my weight eating things like oatmeal, brown rice, chicken, fish, vegetables, and fruit. Cutting out foods that add a lot of calories without filling you up (like candy, etc) is key. Eating five meals a day also helps keep me from feeling hungry throughout the day.

Maintain a caloric deficit to lose weight, and if hunger is an issue, focus on foods that leave you feeling fuller longer.
  • jbug5j
    Options
    carbs spike your insulin ...the idea is to keep your blood sugar stable all day and cravings down by restricting to proteins and fats.

There's not an accurate statement. Both proteins and carbohydrates cause insulin levels to rise, and the amount varies by type of food. Some carbohydrate foods have low insulin scores.

To control hunger, it's best to look for foods that have a high satiety score -- satiety is the feeling of fullness after a meal. Meats in general tend to have high satiety scores (fish is very high), but so do some carbohydrates, such as oatmeal, potatoes, apples, and whole-wheat pasta. High-fat foods generally have low satiety scores, because they are calorie-dense and not very filling.

Do low-carb if you want. I've done it in the past, and it works, but you've really got to want to eat that way long term; otherwise, you're likely to gain the weight back after you stop. I find it much easier to maintain my weight eating things like oatmeal, brown rice, chicken, fish, vegetables, and fruit. Cutting out foods that add a lot of calories without filling you up (like candy, etc) is key. Eating five meals a day also helps keep me from feeling hungry throughout the day.

Maintain a caloric deficit to lose weight, and if hunger is an issue, focus on foods that leave you feeling fuller longer.

I'm planning on trying the foods you suggested. I'm giving up all drinks aside from water as well. I'm a big mtn dew addict so it's hard when I'm at the store and I see those mini coolers lol. Thanks for the comment.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Do you have someone available to do last minute alterations on your wedding dress? Crash dieting two months before the wedding doesn't sounds like a great idea.