Another noob with 100 to lose in Indiana

Options
Hi, My name is Speednut and I'm a food-a-holic! I will turn 50 this year and have decided to do something about my weight. I started Monday with MFP and like it so far. I downloaded it for my android phone. I quit smoking 6 years ago after 30 years and have gained about 50 pounds. I was diagnosed a year ago with high blood pressure and high chloresterol. I am looking for friends to lose weight with. Anybody have any ideas for some basic easy exercises that I can do in my hotel room as I travel for my job quit a bit? My goal is to lose 100 pounds in a year. So far I am impressed with MFP and it's ease of use. I even figured out how to use the upc scanner to enter the data. WooHoo!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Congrats on joining MFP!

Easy hotel-room exercises might be jumping jacks, push-ups, exercises with dumbbells (they're small enough that you could bring them when you travel!), running in place, lunges, squats, stretches, etc.. Some hotels have gyms available to guests - if it's possible, you might look into that. You might consider buying a few dvds like Biggest Loser bootcamp - some hotel rooms have DVD players available to their guests (or you might have a laptop on which you could play it) and you just need a little bit of room to move around in your room (you may need to move some furniture around). It's also recommended if you travel frequently, that you try to get a hotel near a park that you might be able to go walk around in the evening or when you have down-time at the hotel. Planning is key!
  • asyluma
    asyluma Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm in IN too! So far I've been an on/off again MFP user, but the people here are great for motivation and support and have so many ideas to help you find what works for you. My ultimate goal is almost 90 lbs away but I'm shooting short for now by wanting to lose at least 30 by summer. As far as suggestions for your workout during travel, I don't really have any except to suggest that most hotels have their own gym so... maybe you can sneak in there for 20 min or something. Welcome to MFP and I hope you reach your goals!
  • enromero
    enromero Posts: 104
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! Im also from Indiana :-) Best of luck with ur weight loss!!
  • kristy12379
    Options
    Hello there! Having Indiana in your headline caught my attention! I live in northern Indiana. I've been on here since March last year. I lost 13 lbs before coming to MFP, but it has helped me so much I've lost a total of 79 lbs! I love this site, so easy to use and lots of encouragment.

I'm not sure about what exercises to do in your hotel room, maybe dvds if there is a player hooked up. Or if you have a Wii or a kinect you could hook up and use the various fitness games they sell. I've never used one of those gaming systems, but I've read lots of posts about them. If the hotels you stay at have gyms that's always an option. I started out walking the treadmill or doing the stationary bike for 20 min at a time then built myself up from there.

Good luck!
  • kevinbc
    kevinbc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also from Indiana,(northern Indiana) I just joined last week and along with doing Power90 I lost 10 lbs last week!! Just stay focused and don't lose site of your goals. I would say go to the hotel workout center for a walk or full workout but if your not comfortable with that doing pushups, jumping jacks, calf raises, squats, running in place, any thing to get your heart pumping is great.. Just keep moving . Good luck to everybody from Indiana..
  • slynngrmnn
    Options
    I'm from Indiana and 2011 is the year to start making healthy choices for yourself! Good Luck everyone!! :)
  • asyluma
    asyluma Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many Northerns here! Crazy how small of a world it is!
  • speednut
    Options
    THANKS for the encouragement! I am loving this. :smile: