100 LBS down and my 1st Fitversary!!! (w/pics)

Options
So I've been overweight pretty much my whole life (since 2nd grade). I grew up in the South (east Tennessee) and didn't have many healthy habits instilled in me early on (closest I came to liking veggies was kilt lettuce and onions). I've tried many times before to diet and exercise, from elementary to high school to college; one fad diet to another and always eventually getting distracted and giving up or telling myself I was too busy and would eventually get to it later. I finally decided to focus on it about a year and half or two ago, but was pretty wishy washy in it. I was tracking my cals, carbs, fat, protein, sodium, and weight with excel (which I had done a few times before...and is torture). I got the MFP app and the ease with which I could track things was great. And more than that, finally had some people going through the same struggle I was and could see their successes, setbacks, motivation, etc. (Thanks everyone on my friends list!)

Little over a year ago
RsPGuMM.jpg?1

Bout a week ago
SAKgAH9.jpg?1

I've learned a tremendous amount, about changing my lifestyle, myself, exercising, dieting (and will continue to learn). Originally I started just reducing the amount I ate, then improving what I ate. Personally I don't think there is a single perfect "diet". Most people will lose some following just about any different diet than the one that got them to where they are. The goal is finding one that's best for you and that you can stick with long term and help change/develop a better lifestyle. So far I've enjoyed the 1) Chris Powell carb cycling diet (turbo cycle) which helped me create better portion sizes, learn more about macros, and gave some consistency early on, 2) Intermittent Fasting (5:2) which helped me enjoy and indulge during hectic periods (holidays, sports, etc) and still keep my weekly caloric goal, and 3) Calorie Counting which really isn't a diet, just eat what fills you up and keeps you below your goal (really just about keeping control and making good decisions).

Few years ago (I'm the gentleman on the right):drinker:
GsdAUbD.jpg?1

Few weeks ago (After a short hike)
mVweJfq.jpg?1

On the exercise side I've done 1)Hiking - I live in east TN and can basically walk around anywhere and have to go up and down a hill/mountain. I've got a route that I do around the house that I've built on as I've gotten quicker (I aim for one hour), 2) Swimming - when the weather's not right for hiking I go to a community center and swim. It's great low impact and a huge calorie burn (esp if I've managed to injury myself). I've been doing 90 mins overall, with a water break, switching between breaststroke and backstroke. I recently got some swim gloves which have been amazing!, 3) Weightlifting - the community center also has a gym that I use when it's not too hot (it doesn't have AC and gets sweltering). I got a basic 3 day split workout from muscleandstrength that I've added to (most of my workouts use dumb bells and/or machines and are usually 1-1.5 hours). I sort of cycle between those 3 depending on how I'm feeling and what the weather's like. I have gotten into doing some local 5K's (just walking them). Just 2 official ones so far, but I did improve my time.

First official 5K in early March
jCHsPoq.jpg?1

Second official 5K in late May
before
ty1lix3.jpg?1

after
Yy6VJoR.jpg?1

I had some other pics from before, but I can't seem to find them (think they're on an ExHD that's a bit wonky). Some other things though. I've been taking measurements once every month. I measure in 9 places - 1)Neck, 2)Left Mid-bicep, 3)Right Mid-bicep, 4)Chest, 5) Horizontal Waist (at the belly button around the love handles), 6) Angled Waist (around the "spare tire"), 7) Butt/Hips, 8) Left Mid-thigh, and 9)Right Mid-thigh. In total I've lost 33.5 inches (mostly from the waists, butt/hips, and chest). And originally with the hiking I was going about 1.2 miles in about 60-75 mins. Now I'm doing 2.1-2.3 miles in 60 mins (and that's with a few new hills to climb up and down).

In closing, I'm very proud of how far I've come. At times I couldn't imagine sticking with it or that it was working (and of course I've had plenty of setbacks). But my motto is "Progress not Perfection". I've still probably got farther to go now than I've come, and it may take longer than I would like, but I definitely feel like now I can handle any setbacks or stumbles that come up and eventually reach my goal! I think we all can, as long as we keep working, find the right way for us, and never give up!

Replies

• cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success!

To make the pictures show up correctly here, reduce them in size to a max of 640px wide.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks cwrig!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • SaberEsPoder
    SaberEsPoder Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Great progress and in only a year! Hope you can keep going and have more victories, good pictures :)
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Way to go Chad. 100 lbs is a huge milestone, it takes a lot of dedication and you should be extremly proud of yourself. Its always great to hear from someone who is taking their life back....its an inspiration. Keep it up, your hard work now is paying off now and will continue to pay off for the rest of your life (which will probabley be extended by many many years).
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Chad-you mentioned a while ago...'I don't see a difference in my face'

Well I sure do. Put the first pic or the pic from a few years ago next to the last one. You'll see it!!

Awesome job!
  • JessRose64
    JessRose64 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing! And such an inspiration for others! I hope you are extremely proud of yourself :) Keep up the great work! I bet you feel SO much better and happier.
  • CanadaChick74
    CanadaChick74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You have a great smile! Congrats and keep up the great work.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    whos_awesome.jpg
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    That's bad *kitten*. You have good reason to be proud.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Such a difference in your face! You are doing great. :)
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Amazing work!
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! :smile:
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Very impressive and yes you can see the results!
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress!
  • weblur
    weblur Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Dude, you are awesome! Thank you for inspiring me every day. I am so happy for you!

p.s. I am not tearing up, I am not tearing up, I am not - oh, heck, yes I am!
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@ flumi - I remember that and absolutely meant it at the time. I didn't think it had changed much. It wasn't until I started sorting/looking for some old pics for this post that I realized the difference!
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look so happy as well :)
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Wow 100 pounds is amazing! Great job!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    way to go!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!