Day One: Sick and Tired of being Sick and Tired

Options
Hello! So glad I found this site. After a blood clot scare this week, I had a Venus Doppler test performed and the doctor told me there are no deep vein clots, so I am very relieved. But she said I would feel so much better if I were to drop 20 lbs. I am starting today at 210.8 at 5'-4.5" and a calculated BMI of 35.50. Two of my father's siblings died in their 50's of complications from morbid obesity. I don't want to add to the body count. Any encouragement you can give, advice, would be most welcome.

I have a 50-lb. dog that I walk every day, which is a HUGE help to get me off my behind. I also work on the 2nd floor of the office building located in a very walkable neighborhood, so those are bonuses, too. Today I took the stairs and also took a walk after a healthy lunch. It's been a good start and I am feeling positive!

Thanks, everybody. ~ Lorraine "shortyblueyes"

Replies

• amandawillard3551
    Options
    Hi Lorriane and good luck on your new journey to a lighter life. There will be tough days, but keep focused and you will be rewarded by feeling so much better in yourself....Mandy
  • cathaea
    cathaea Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    DVTs are so scary! They run in my family and sadly, a cousin of mine died from complications of a pulmonary embolism in his early 30s.

Sounds like you have a great attitude. I find focusing on the little things like you're doing right now much easier than trying to go from zero to sixty overnight.

Best of luck!
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way - sick and tired. My weight was getting the best of me. A recent diagnosis of borderline diabetes finally forced me to recognize that I was slowly killing myself. My doctor did not order an rx, she told me I needed to lose 10 pounds in 4 months and made a referral to a nutritionist for me. I'm carb counting and I haven't felt this good for a long, long time. I added another day at the gym each week and also yoga once a week. Once I lost the first two pounds I knew I was doing the right thing. You can do it too.
  • meparker757
    meparker757 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Being sick and tired was the reason I started MFP. Take it one day at a time and you should see wonders!
  • TatianaMacKenzie
    TatianaMacKenzie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is amazing how steps can add up... walking up and down the stairs at work, walking from a car parked far away from store, And dogs help: I took care of a sick friend's dog for a while and was out there at 7am (coffee in hand), several times during the day and the last walk at 10pm! Lots of exercise!
    Your attitude is spot on... you can do it... (take it) one day at a time.
  • nworbgirl
    nworbgirl Posts: 13
    Options
    Glad it was just a scare, and you've taken the first step. I like your attitude! Try using a pedometer. My goal is 10,000 steps a day. Sometimes I meet it, and sometimes not :-) Care to join me? Friend me!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hello, glad to see you here. Wonderful site with a wealth of information. I would suggest to buy a food scale and weigh your food and log everything. Check out different message boards and you will learn a lot. Love your enthusiasm and add me as a friend if you like. Best to you...
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking this step. Make sure that you devote most of your concentration on getting your food in order. Your OP focuses on exercise, which is great, but losing weight is nearly all about getting your calories under control. And developing a sustainable food plan that you won't abandon.
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello Lorraine and Welcome!!! This is a great site for inspiration and encouragement. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep up the good work and keep walking the dog. God Bless!!! :smile:
  • smileitsconfusing
    Options
    wow that is scary good job on getting yourself on track though.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Welcome, glad you have joined the rest of our life style changers group. Since you plan on walking a great little device, that syncs with MFP is a FitBit or Jawbone UP. They count your steps during the day, goal is usually 10K steps which equates to about 4.87 miles per day.

You'll find lots of support on this board, good luck to you, you can do this.
  • nworbgirl
    nworbgirl Posts: 13
    Options
    Glad it was just a scare, and you've taken the first step. I like your attitude! Try using a pedometer. My goal is 10,000 steps a day. Sometimes I meet it, and sometimes not :-) Care to join me? Friend me!
  • tammylegattjohnson1
    Options
    Great work. Sounds like you are making some positive changes. Accountability is key. Anyone can feel free to add me as a friend; let's conquer our goals!