MFP 8 glass H2O a day??

Options
So I know MFP has that we should drink at least 8 glasses a day of water but I've heard it should be half your body weight, in ounces, per day in order for your cells to do their molecular function. Any comments on this?

Replies

• bronsted93
    bronsted93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    8 glasses is just like the very basal amount, or at least that's how I think of it. For my size I should be drinking like north of 100oz. lol. :noway:
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I do the half your body weight in ounces thing...have been for a little over a year. I wish we could change the water tracker from cups to oz...but I just do the math (8 oz in 1 cup) :flowerforyou:
  • SRDB00
    SRDB00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I at least drink the 8 glasses a day (weekends) but through the week I surpass that and really try to get to half my body weight in ounces.. (That is an awful lot of water) :grumble:
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    So I know MFP has that we should drink at least 8 glasses a day of water but I've heard it should be half your body weight, in ounces, per day in order for your cells to do their molecular function. Any comments on this?

THIS! /\ /\ /\
    More if you exercise - and additional 16 oz. per hour. It's only water - drink it!
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yea.... 8 glasses.... Deal with it.
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    I do the half your body weight in ounces thing...have been for a little over a year. I wish we could change the water tracker from cups to oz...but I just do the math (8 oz in 1 cup) :flowerforyou:

I agree! Wish we could change it from cups to ounces. Everything else is pretty personalized option on here, wonder why that isn't? hmmm mfp
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Go with the half your body weight in ounces per day - Most days I do this and it really helps keep the water weight due to sodium at a minimum and it really helps keep your food cravings to a minimum and also is great for helping keep you away from unhealthy drink options.

While it is difficult to do, be sure to stay away from drinking it all at once for obvious health reasons.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should drink as much as you need. Eight 8oz glasses is the norm, but if you have seven or ten, that's okay, too. Just keep water around and take a sip when you feel like it.

I think people get a little caught up in numbers sometimes. Doing math and drinking up to a number? No, not IMO. Just drink.

I'm averaging ten a day. Maybe more. I think sometimes I forget to click the thing when I refill the glass. I don't measure, either. I just stick it under the spout and fill it to "kinds of full, but not so much that it will spill when I walk." Each glass is probably well over 8oz, but I've always had to drink more than others, ever since I was a kid. :)

No worries. Just drink.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It is different for each person. The amount is determined by how healthy you are, how much you exercise, and how hot and dry the climate is in your area. It is important to keep your body hydrated for optimal health. Fruit, veggies, teas, coffee as well as water works.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/water-for-weight-loss-diet
  • eternalsepicsanctuary
    eternalsepicsanctuary Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did a study on water... I saw the same thing. I'll just give you more facts you can decide for yourself.
    8 a day is not really factually it's just safe and easy to remember for most people. That equation you found is more realistic. However, next you have to subtract what you eat in your foods and for regulating temperature. see! it's tricky! dr. oz said how you know when you need water is by the color of your urine. so this is what I do. 8 glasses base. urine to see what is required. and do the equation then subtract some for good foods with water in them. Also may not count as much ones if your dehydrated or ones replenishing body.
  • Fat2Fit2Fineee
    Options
    I did a study on water... I saw the same thing. I'll just give you more facts you can decide for yourself.
    8 a day is not really factually it's just safe and easy to remember for most people. That equation you found is more realistic. However, next you have to subtract what you eat in your foods and for regulating temperature. see! it's tricky! dr. oz said how you know when you need water is by the color of your urine. so this is what I do. 8 glasses base. urine to see what is required. and do the equation then subtract some for good foods with water in them. Also may not count as much ones if your dehydrated or ones replenishing body.

I do the urine thing too! So glad you mentioned that. It's not supposed to be yellow like how we think of urine. I know the clearer the urination the healthier the kidney = the more hydrated the body. Thanks for throwing that out!!
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Unless you are taking a lot of vitamin B2 or a large multivitamin! Neon pee...alot!
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love water so I surpass the 8 cups of water a day that is recommended. You can always find me with my water bottle!
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 cups a day. Super easy when it's a water bottle. :P
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I just drink when I'm thirsty. Do I get a Special Snowflake award? :laugh:
  • TechMike
    TechMike Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't track how much water I drink.

If my urine is dark, I know to drink more. That's pretty much it.

I also kind of compulsively drink water during exercise.
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    yeah. i average a gallon. that's 132 oz.

activity level, temperature, foods, feels. and urine color. all of these are factors. just drink! :)
  • costleyma06
    costleyma06 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I drink over a gallon a day! Helps you not retain water and it flushes toxins out :)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Um, lessee... I weight ~190, so that equation would give me 95oz a day. My water bottle at work is 24oz and I fill it 3-4 times. Not to mention the huge glass I drink befor ework. What I drink when I exercise, and what I drink after I leave work...

Oh noes! Am I drinking too much water? o_o What's gonna happen to me?!

Honestly, I'm so used to the constant intake of water now that I go a lil bonkers with dry mouth if I have to go without for more than half an hour...
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I find it a difficult challenge to drink 8 cups per day... I honestly feel like I would rather drink only 4-5 cups per day for it to feel normal and not forced. I'm 5' 3" and 154 lb, and I've just never been a "thirsty" person. I could eat a full meal and drink nothing with it, and feel fine. I used to do so alot in the past.
    So I have been "forcing" myself to drink more since starting my MFP journey, and I am usually between 6 to 8 cups, but never more than 8. Is this unhealthy? I feel like I'm drowning some days. As for the "pee test"... usually light in color, but it does always have color.
    ETA - I currently live in the desert - Arizona. And I don't drink soda, it's a very rare thing. If I did, or of I had soup for a meal, I would count it towards my daily cups. On the hottest of days or if I have a workout, I'll still only hit 8 or maaaybee 9 cups. I feel perfectly hydrated.